Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
in spite of having a smaller population than Detroit, Baltimore's had more homicides this year, 313 vs. 291, and clinching a rate of > 50 per 100k
That could be said for alot of places. Makes no difference than the other cities in country having a higher homicide rate than New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Well I dont recall parts of Baltimore getting so bad, they ended up being ruled by packs of stray dogs.

Detroit grapples with stray dog epidemic - CNN.com

Old 12-23-2016, 12:36 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
In reality its because of Detroit lost 91.7% of its peak 1950 population, while Baltimore has lost 40.1% peak population.
You did post some pretty good info but idk where you got this one from. Detroit has 700,000 people, so if Detroit lost anywhere near 90% of it's peak population that would have made Detroit the largest city in the country in 1950, even larger than NYC. In reality Detroit lost somewhere above 50% of it's peak population I think.

Quote:
Well I dont recall parts of Baltimore getting so bad, they ended up being ruled by packs of stray dogs.

Detroit grapples with stray dog epidemic - CNN.com
Lmao you don't see stray dogs (let alone packs of them) everyday in Detroit either. Come to think of it... I don't think I have ever seen a "pack" of actual stray dogs. I've seen a pack of them with a owner, or behind a fence, or chained up, but not just running around the streets. And I grew up on the eastside of Detroit.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Slums seem bad in both (that's part of the definition of being a slum--they're bad everywhere), but Detroit has a lot more vacancies and blocks that are pretty much just cleared of people.

Maybe this is for another topic, but it's a bit more interesting to me to think about how both are recovering than to concentrate on just the slums. For Detroit, it looks like a more comprehensive top down approach that comes with a local billionaire benefactor and his company whereas Baltimore seems to have less direction, but is greatly helped by the growth the larger regional growth especially as it serves as the region's primary port as well as having a major and prominent research university located within the city.

So what are some interesting / promising developments happening in both cities right now?

Old 12-23-2016, 04:11 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Slums seem bad in both (that's part of the definition of being a slum--they're bad everywhere), but Detroit has a lot more vacancies and blocks that are pretty much just cleared of people.

Maybe this is for another topic, but it's a bit more interesting to me to think about how both are recovering than to concentrate on just the slums. For Detroit, it looks like a more comprehensive top down approach that comes with a local billionaire benefactor and his company whereas Baltimore seems to have less direction, but is greatly helped by the growth the larger regional growth especially as it serves as the region's primary port as well as having a major and prominent research university located within the city.

So what are some interesting / promising developments happening in both cities right now?
The big thing for Baltimore is the Under Armor headquarters and the planned adjacent development (Port Covington) which is supposed to cost $5.5 billion.

City Council approves $660 million bond deal for Port Covington project - Baltimore Sun

Also, the smaller Harbor Point development is in full swing. Other than that, it is just a whole bunch of apartment buildings under construction. Baltimore will start showing more significant population growth starting in 2017.

Finally, the state has anteed up $75 million to demolish 3,000 or so vacant houses. That won't even get us half way there.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:14 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I don't know, but it seems that Kevin Plank is so single handedly trying to turn Baltimore around. Baltimore city and the Baltimore MSA are on the up and up. Them needing to get a handle on the crime in the city is my biggest concern.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lmao you don't see stray dogs (let alone packs of them) everyday in Detroit either. Come to think of it... I don't think I have ever seen a "pack" of actual stray dogs. I've seen a pack of them with a owner, or behind a fence, or chained up, but not just running around the streets. And I grew up on the eastside of Detroit.
That article has just always stuck out with me. Obviously dogs haven't literally taken over like Planet of the Apes, but on some blocks, they're a real handful if even mailmen can't deliver and the population of the block is more strays than people.

And the reasoning makes sense. It's not so much Detroit city's fault, but more on the neglectful owners that leave them behind.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
You did post some pretty good info but idk where you got this one from. Detroit has 700,000 people, so if Detroit lost anywhere near 90% of it's peak population that would have made Detroit the largest city in the country in 1950, even larger than NYC. In reality Detroit lost somewhere above 50% of it's peak population I think.
No it doesn't mean Detroit was the largest city in the country, but it does show that Detroit was one of the largest cities in the country when you look at the numbers and still wonder how the city is still one of the largest cities in the country with over 670,000 people. Same could be said for other rust belt cities.

Percentage change for Detroit from the 1950 census when a lot of rust belt cities had their peak populations to the most current census population estimate for 2015. If you add up the percentage totals from the population history chart including 2015 estimate it equals 91.7%.

Detroit: -91.7%

Baltimore: -40.1%

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 12-25-2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 05:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
I understand Detroit's problems because the economy was too heavily centered on the auto industry. Baltimore is 30 miles or less for many thousands of high paying federal jobs and is home to the Social Security headquarters.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:29 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I understand Detroit's problems because the economy was too heavily centered on the auto industry. Baltimore is 30 miles or less for many thousands of high paying federal jobs and is home to the Social Security headquarters.
A lot of people with good paying jobs in DC live in Baltimore but usually in the neighborhoods with quick access to I-95 and DC such as Federal Hill and Canton. That doesn't do much good for struggling neighborhoods in West Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City