Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 PM

406 posts, read 768,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Okay so why don't you educate me about Detroit. What is Detroit's answer to neighborhoods like Federal Hill, Mount Vernon, Bolton Hill, Harbor East, Fell's Point, Charles Village, etc?

Does Detroit have dense urban neighborhoods that look anything like this?
Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

or this:

or this:

or this:

If so, please show them to me and I won't make such ridiculous statements again.

PS. Pls no need for pictures of downtown or suburban style bedroom communities; I want to see beautiful, gentrified urban neighborhoods in the city of Detroit. Thanks.
what do you mean by suburban style bedroom communities? if you're referring to neighborhoods with single family homes with front and back yards and garages then you know most of Detroit was built in that way. The only "urban" areas in Detroit (what you would see in the NE) is downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods. As for "unlike Detroit" I'd have to agree with the poster who replied to you. Stop making assumptions, you clearly never been here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM

406 posts, read 768,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Baltimore is in much better shape than Detroit.
says who? let me guess someone who never been here?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
what do you mean by suburban style bedroom communities? if you're referring to neighborhoods with single family homes with front and back yards and garages then you know most of Detroit was built in that way. The only "urban" areas in Detroit (what you would see in the NE) is downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods. As for "unlike Detroit" I'd have to agree with the poster who replied to you. Stop making assumptions, you clearly never been here
Instead of hurling phony and baseless accusations like the other poster, why don't you actually show me some nice, gentrified neighborhoods in Detroit and then maybe I'll reconsider my "assumptions". I showed a number of beautiful, dense urban neighborhoods in Baltimore. I am still waiting to see what you got in Detroit that can match that.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times
I would have to say Detroit has the worst ghettos.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I say Detroit. I just went to both cities in March and Baltimore has more going for it for sure in the city and suburbs.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Baltimore is more dense than Detroit, but Baltimore is not as far gone as Detroit, it never sunk as low as Detroit did. Balitmore has a lot more nice areas than Detroit does. Not to mention Baltimore is better positioned for a comeback. It's in between Philadelphia and Washington D.C. Two very large coastal American cities. Detroit is the largest city in the area, you'd have to travel 200 miles to Chicago or Cleveland, the next biggest cities, which are both doing a lot better than Detroit.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Detroit is pretty far gone. Much of the city is crime infested slums. Entire neighborhoods abandoned. Can it make a comeback? I hope so. As a musician I have a soft spot for Detroit. It has one of the richest musical histories and cultures of any city in the US. Long list of famous jazz musicians. Motown. Rock 'n' Roll. Etc., etc. Detroit has given too much to the world for it to be allowed to die. I'm pulling for Detroit.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Your opinion holds no accountability due to either you being from SE DC which has a four decade loong history on hating on Baltimore or you being from some undesirable region from south of the Potomac River that also has a looong history of being extremely Hateful towards the state of Maryland especially Baltimore........
I too have noticed that a number of DC posters seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Baltimore, and I don't get why. I was there just last weekend and was really impressed. If you stick to the right areas, the city presents itself very well. Block after block of beautiful, well-preserved architecture, great neighborhoods, plenty of cultural amenities, nice buzz, beautiful waterfront... What am i missing? I mean I know it's got a serious problem with crime and urban blight, but the core of the city - from Federal Hill to the JH campus and from UMD campus to Canton -- is among the most attractive of any city of its size that I have seen in this country.

If Detroit is in half as good a shape as Baltimore is I would be impressed.

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 04-06-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 PM

The 3 mile radius around downtown Baltimore has a population of 280k, including 100k whites and Asians. Density 11k psm.

The 3 mile radius around downtown Detroit has a population of 68k, including 15k whites and Asians. Density 4k psm.

CAPS10C - Missouri Census Data Center

Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Baltimore is gentrifying is its blighted neighborhoods as well. Take a trip down Greenmount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City