Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 05:58 PM

700 posts, read 422,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don’t think Black people in the far northeast prefer the suburbs. Just moreso we’re forced there. NYC is a great example and JC Patterson Newark Bridgeport ..are all very very urban ‘suburbs’. I could say the same about most of the Boston area. Same with much of the West Coast. In the Midwest -maybe-INTL Chicago seems to really be seeing a shrinking % of black residents. Milwaukee Detroit Cleveland and St. Louis are pretty much where they’ve always been at (Hispanics make most of the demographic difference). Blacks are growing in Minneapolis.

Suburbs are very different in different regions of the country
Then you got suburbs like Elmont and Valley stream that are literally just fake extensions of Queens and places like Mt. Vernon that are fake extensions of the north Bronx which might play a little part why the black community is so strong in these suburb areas next to the edges of the city limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 06:00 PM

700 posts, read 422,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The suburbanization of black people in the last couple decades has been documented extensively. Most black growth in every metro area is in the suburbs and I wouldn't be surprised if most black people live in the suburbs vs. city proper by 2030 or some time soon, especially in the South.
True that. When I use to be a realtor most of my black clients who decided to stay in NYC bought homes in Long Island, Jersey even rockland county NY.

The only option really when you have a good paying job but can’t afford a 1.5 million dollar brownstone in BK and don’t want to spend 500K for a home in other parts of Bk with not a lot of space.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:16 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
But I agree with MD all star. Would be nice to see a strong group of professional blacks follow the money and establish more enclaves in the city.

Of course this might cause some issues between professional blacks and the poorer blacks who live in the area already.
I always thought it was a bit of a shame that with all of the Black wealth and Black celebrity wealth in particular in Atlanta that a group of folks didn't get together 15-20 years ago to invest in and preserve Sweet Auburn, or at least around the time the construction of the streetcar was announced. I know Big Bethel AME Church has a big development planned/under construction but other than that, if such an effort was attempted, I don't know about it.

All across the country, the old Black urban commercial districts suffered in the late 60s and 70s due to urban riots, urban renewal, or the disinvestment that followed the migration to the suburbs (discounting the ones that were lost to acts of domestic terrorism earlier in the century like Greenwood). Many of the ones that were still standing in some way, shape, or form until the turn of the century have since seen some type of investment, if not outright gentrification.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:21 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Then you got suburbs like Elmont and Valley stream that are literally just fake extensions of Queens and places like Mt. Vernon that are fake extensions of the north Bronx which might play a little part why the black community is so strong in these suburb areas next to the edges of the city limits
These are some examples that came to mind when I stated the part about being an extension of the city proper. Mount Vernon being an incorporated city, makes the difference in terms of governance. Tiny South Floral Park is essentially an incorporated village that is like adjacent Elmont though.

To Mutiny, in terms of the article, I think the key is that it is occurring in a formerly unincorporated area that became an incorporated city literally 3 years ago. I think if suburbanization continues to be the move, along with that should be a plan for incorporation for the suburbs that are unincorporated. In turn, you could see more South Fultons. Actually, another example that just came to mind is Miami Gardens FL, which was formed out of combining unincorporated suburban communities into an incorporated city of 113,000 and about 73% black in 2003. So, it will be interesting to see if this becomes more common in the near future.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:22 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
True that. When I use to be a realtor most of my black clients who decided to stay in NYC bought homes in Long Island, Jersey even rockland county NY.

The only option really when you have a good paying job but can’t afford a 1.5 million dollar brownstone in BK and don’t want to spend 500K for a home in other parts of Bk with not a lot of space.
Quote:
It makes sense from a cost of living perspective why blacks are moving to the suburbs combined with the poor experiences blacks had to deal with living in the inner city.

There are black folks I know today despite the high increase in property value in the city they will still park their money in the suburbs.

But I agree with MD all star. Would be nice to see a strong group of professional blacks follow the money and establish more enclaves in the city.

Of course this might cause some issues between professional blacks and the poorer blacks who live in the area already.

its unfortunate that many middle/upper class blacks are going to suburbs at the expense of black urban neighborhoods but cost, crime, and QOL are the most important thing for homebuyers.

My sister was looking to buy in DC, but for her budget, she could not afford anywhere safe in the District; she's now looking a few miles away in Maryland and suddenly there's a plethora of homes available in her range, with amenities by. Going back to my first point about QOL, Wards 7 and 8 in DC have three supermarkets between them, with only one of them in Ward 8 ( although I believe a supermarket is opening up in Ward 8 later this year). It just makes sense for the majority of black homebuyers to look into suburbs in many cases.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:34 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I always thought it was a bit of a shame that with all of the Black wealth and Black celebrity wealth in particular in Atlanta that a group of folks didn't get together 15-20 years ago to invest in and preserve Sweet Auburn, or at least around the time the construction of the streetcar was announced. I know Big Bethel AME Church has a big development planned/under construction but other than that, if such an effort was attempted, I don't know about it.

All across the country, the old Black urban commercial districts suffered in the late 60s and 70s due to urban riots, urban renewal, or the disinvestment that followed the migration to the suburbs (discounting the ones that were lost to acts of domestic terrorism earlier in the century like Greenwood). Many of the ones that were still standing in some way, shape, or form until the turn of the century have since seen some type of investment, if not outright gentrification.
This area of Detroit near some of its middle class city neighborhoods in the northern end of the city like Sherwood Forest, the University District and Palmer Woods appears to buck that trend: https://www.avenueoffashion.com/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/detroit...krispy-addicts

This is also why the D as a metro is still a viable option, in spite of its usual portrayal.

What MDAllStar is looking for is essentially in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ghborhood.html

Old 03-07-2020, 09:48 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times
84% of the entire Black community lives in metropolitan areas. Which about 51% lives inside the core & the rest in the burbs.
The rest in micropolitan areas & rural communities.

By 2030 it's definitely going to be majority for the metro blacks , then again i might need to reverse those percantages already. Micropolitan blacks should be around 11% by then or so.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To Mutiny, in terms of the article, I think the key is that it is occurring in a formerly unincorporated area that became an incorporated city literally 3 years ago. I think if suburbanization continues to be the move, along with that should be a plan for incorporation for the suburbs that are unincorporated. In turn, you could see more South Fultons. Actually, another example that just came to mind is Miami Gardens FL, which was formed out of combining unincorporated suburban communities into an incorporated city of 113,000 and about 73% black in 2003. So, it will be interesting to see if this becomes more common in the near future.
Well it's something of a special case in Georgia. About 15 years ago or so when the entire state legislature came under Republican control, they relaxed the requirements that governed the incorporation of new municipalities and allowed incorporation referendums to be put before the voters in local elections. This was largely driven by the decades-long desire of Sandy Springs, north of Buckhead, to incorporate to prevent annexation by Atlanta and keep more of their tax dollars in the area. Initially this move by the legislature was seen by many primarily through the lens of race and class, but as the so-called "cityhood" movement continued, in addition to majority White, affluent communities in suburban northern Atlanta incorporating, you started to see predominantly Black communities in the southern and eastern suburban areas get in on the act as well. The city of South Fulton, which gets coverage in the article I posted, is one of them but unfortunately, there's also a lot of drama unfolding down there as a result of their new city status. What's unfortunate about the changes in state law that were made concerning incorporation and annexation is that it opened the door for places that were much better suited for incorporation AND for those poorly suited for it who were mainly driven to incorporate out of fear, turning the whole thing into something of a municipal arms race with the less affluent areas getting the short end of the stick. Truthfully the South Fulton area would have been better off being annexed by Altanta and other municipalities in that part of the county instead of incorporating.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
84% of the entire Black community lives in metropolitan areas. Which about 51% lives inside the core & the rest in the burbs.
The rest in micropolitan areas & rural communities.

By 2030 it's definitely going to be majority for the metro blacks , then again i might need to reverse those percantages already. Micropolitan blacks should be around 11% by then or so.
When you say metropolitan areas, I'm assuming you mean MSAs? I ask because several micropolitan areas are included within CSAs that are anchored by an MSA.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:13 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When you say metropolitan areas, I'm assuming you mean MSAs? I ask because several micropolitan areas are included within CSAs that are anchored by an MSA.
Yes. None of that CSAs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City