Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 10:36 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
This is when Street view and hype goes wrong. College Park is ghetto or hood as a whole and Hartsfield-Jackson isn't a regional airport. If College Park was in the Midwest, it would not be seen as hood even though it may have some hood spots but it isn't an unsafe area.
I don't think College Park AS A WHOLE is ghetto. It definitely has some sketchy areas but it's more lower middle class. If College park as a WHOLE is ghetto than it has nothing on legitimate hoods in other cities or other areas in the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 12:09 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I don't think College Park AS A WHOLE is ghetto. It definitely has some sketchy areas but it's more lower middle class. If College park as a WHOLE is ghetto than it has nothing on legitimate hoods in other cities or other areas in the metro.
I just reread my post and it seems that auto correct erased "not." I was trying to say, as you said, that CP is not ghetto overall.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
This is when Street view and hype goes wrong. College Park is ghetto or hood as a whole and Hartsfield-Jackson isn't a regional airport. If College Park was in the Midwest, it would not be seen as hood even though it may have some hood spots but it isn't an unsafe area.
Take a visit to a Midwest forum on here. I've seen suburbs (North Chicago, Waukegan, Merrillville) that happen to be largely black/latino with average or low crime rates, maybe one or two somewhat rough pockets, get the ghetto tag or at minimum are called "sketchy". There are a few suburbs and satellite cities (e.g. Gary IN) that are legitimately hood and suffers from severe blight, and College Park's total crime rate is on par, or exceeds them. I get the feeling that College Park is basically something like a Maywood or Dolton IL- not blighted but enough stuff goes down to where any outsider who is not from the worst inner city hoods would think of it as a ghetto 'burb.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,030,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Take a visit to a Midwest forum on here. I've seen suburbs (North Chicago, Waukegan, Merrillville) that happen to be largely black/latino with average or low crime rates, maybe one or two somewhat rough pockets, get the ghetto tag or at minimum are called "sketchy". There are a few suburbs and satellite cities (e.g. Gary IN) that are legitimately hood and suffers from severe blight, and College Park's total crime rate is on par, or exceeds them. I get the feeling that College Park is basically something like a Maywood or Dolton IL- not blighted but enough stuff goes down to where any outsider who is not from the worst inner city hoods would think of it as a ghetto 'burb.
Maywood would be a fair comparison but College PArk has nicer areas than Maywood
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6627...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-03-2020, 02:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,030,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I remember a few rappers hyping College Park during the Crunk/Trill era. Judging from the crime reports here on C-D for both, they would be classified as hood/ghetto suburbs in my region.

But I will say that neither one is blighted from what I see on street-view and could be mistaken for regular lower middle class. I wonder is it because in the past two decades or so Atlanta metro has experience huge amounts of growth, that even the grimiest suburbs in the area have reaped some of the benefits. The regional airport even spills over into College Park city limits, so I imagine it serves as a considerable boost to its local economy. Also, because Atlanta is largely black(both in city and suburbs/exurbs) that suburbs like College Park and East Pointe probably aren't as ostracized in comparison to Midwestern counterparts.
LOL
You tried that

Old 03-03-2020, 05:36 PM

700 posts, read 422,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
What slums?

Atlanta rappers who grew up in Suburban Atlanta:

Future went to Colombia High School in Decatur.Not wealthy but hardly a slum
2 Chains went to North Clayton In Clayton County
OutKast went to Tri Cities High school.AGAIN.NOT A SLUM.Not even close
Ludacris went to Banneker High which is just outside of the city limits of Atlanta
Jermain Dupri dad was a record executive
T.I. is definitely from the hood in Atlanta.Bankhead
21 Savage is from England and moved to Atlanta when he was young,His mother remarried a Doctor
Wacka Flocka was born in Queens and moved to the suburb of Riverdale in Clayton County
Jeezy was raised in middle Georgia not Atlanta

Migos was formed in 2008, by Quavo (born Quavious Keyate Marshall),[11] Takeoff (born Kirshnik Khari Ball),[12] and Offset (born Kiari Kendrell Cephus),[13] and they originally called themselves the Polo Club. The three members are directly related and were raised together; Quavo is Takeoff's uncle, and Offset is Quavo's cousin.[14] The three of them grew up together in suburban Atlanta, approximately 40 minutes northeast of Downtown in Gwinnett County. "I ain't going to sit here like, 'My neighborhood was hard, and I had to get out there and grind.' We made it hard for ourselves. We chose to stay on the streets," Quavo said.

But even still its not like Atlanta very large black middle class comes from rapping
Atlanta is not popular because of that.
If anything what did it was its many black a colleges which laid the ground work for a large black middle class
I don’t care where they were born or what school they went to. Those rappers for the most part make music that people in the streets want to listen to.

21 savage, TI, Jeezy, Future, Waxka Flocka are all gangsta rappers no matter where they went to school or grew up.

Why is this even a discussion? Lol!

I’ll only give you credit for Outkast, Luda and 2 chainz

Old 03-03-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
CleverOne covered this but rappers “from Atlanta” aren’t often from the inner city or worse parts from what I’ve read and seen. By far it seems most black people in Atlanta live pretty comfortable lives-Atlanta has real hoods but it seems like they’re home to a small fraction of the black community compared to most places. The standards for black QOL is higher in the A.
Again! Where they are from doesn’t change the fact that their music represents those living in the gutter.

Futures music is literally about guns, drugs and getting money fast. Lol. What middle class blacks person living comfortable with 2 career driven parents can relate to that?

Old 03-03-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uh there aren't even anymore public housing projects in Atlanta so I don't know what "slums" you're talking about, unless you consider any working- or middle-class Black neighborhood a "slum."
So the hood = public housing projects only?

You learn something new every single day.

And I don’t recall ever saying working or middle class black neighborhoods are slums soooooooo..............

Old 03-03-2020, 06:35 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
So the hood = public housing projects only?

You learn something new every single day.
The most notorious ones (e.g., Bankhead) would've been the closest thing Atlanta had to "slums", along with neighborhoods like Vine City/English Avenue.

Quote:
And I don’t recall ever saying working or middle class black neighborhoods are slums soooooooo..............
So what "slums" do these rappers rep? Be specific.

The fact that you think gangsta rap is still a thing says it all lolol.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The most notorious ones (e.g., Bankhead) would've been the closest thing Atlanta had to "slums", along with neighborhoods like Vine City/English Avenue.

So what "slums" do these rappers rep? Be specific.

The fact that you think gangsta rap is still a thing says it all lolol.
Not gangsta rap though. It's 1995 honey...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City