Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Houston is one the economic powerhouses of Texas, DFW is the other.

Houston is more ahead of Dallas in the arts than it is in its economy.
I was replying to someone who said that Houston needs to worry about catching up to Dallas before these other places. My point was that his statement was invalid because Houston has already surpassed Dallas in those respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I was replying to someone who said that Houston needs to worry about catching up to Dallas before these other places. My point was that his statement was invalid because Houston has already surpassed Dallas in those respects.
I think justme02 disagreed with you saying that Houston is THE economic powerhouse in Texas. I happen to agree with him as well. It's one of the powerhouses along with Dallas.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think justme02 disagreed with you saying that Houston is THE economic powerhouse in Texas. I happen to agree with him as well. It's one of the powerhouses along with Dallas.
This. Thank you Spade!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, by most recent measures I'd say it is. Otherwise, you're saying they're tied. Though yes, DFW is an economic powerhouse, I don't see the point in changing the focus to another city that is not a subject in the thread title when there are plenty of other threads on it right now.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
No, by most recent measures I'd say it is. Otherwise, you're saying they're tied. Though yes, DFW is an economic powerhouse, I don't see the point in changing the focus to another city that is not a subject in the thread title when there are plenty of other threads on it right now.
You contradicted yourself in this post.

But this isnt the topic so Ill drop it.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Honestly, I will leave alone after this as well. But I do agree in bold. I believe they are. One has advantages over the other and vice versa. That's all I'm going to say on that. And you're welcome justme02.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Houston should concentrate on taking out Dallas as Texas' top city. LA? Different league
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Houston is everything that's bad about L.A. (traffic, smog, sprawl) without much of the good stuff (weather, beaches, mountains, culture, tourist attractions, etc.)
Here, let me help you guys out with some facts --

GDP rankings:
1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Houston

Fortune 500 companies:
1. New York
2. Houston
14. Los Angeles

As far as culture, only a handful of cities in the country have permanent companies in all four performing arts: opera, theater, symphony and dance... and Houston is one of them. The HMNS and MFAH are a few of the most visited museums in the country. A few very large notable festivals and events. One of the few cities in the country to have a Sundance Theater. Etc etc...

Income already ranks high, and ​grew faster than any other city in the nation for the last decade.

Smog rankings (ozone):
1. Los Angeles
8. Houston

Smog rankings (particle pollution):
1. Bakersfield, CA
2. Los Angeles
17. Houston

Traffic is more of the same...

Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
^^^ And on Income not anywhere close in absolutes, LA is the laggard on per cap Income and GDP though among these

F500 while interesting is not always a great indicator of anything

And the theaters etc. Well with that criteria you could say Boston, SF, and Philly are on or above Houston given these criteria and to me none are at the level of the three. Houston is in this group, not the LA/NYC/Chicago group. While still maturing to that level many Houstonians seem to miss this point, economically Houston has much to be proud of and also has a great job of CLOSING (note closing as its cultural offerings are not yet at the level of even a Boston or SF or Philly) the gap in this respect.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
LA and Miami. Both are known for their beaches, palm trees, warm weather. nightlife, diversity, Latin cultures, just being world-class cities in general. The only thing LA has in common with Houston are the palm trees and warm weather. And smog.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
LA and Miami. Both are known for their beaches, palm trees, warm weather. nightlife, diversity, Latin cultures, just being world-class cities in general. The only thing LA has in common with Houston are the palm trees and warm weather. And smog.
Houston's Hispanic population is actually larger than Miami's. Won't find any Asians there either like Houston & LA. Houston is 2nd only to LA in number of Hispanics. Miami ranked 11th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City