Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times

Advertisements

As soon as I can go hiking up to Griffith Park in Houston or Miami and not want to kill myself during the summer in Houston or Miami let's talk. The three cities aren't alike at all except for a few similarities that really, if you try hard enough, you could make with any city you wanted to compare favorably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
As soon as I can go hiking up to Griffith Park in Houston or Miami and not want to kill myself during the summer in Houston or Miami let's talk. The three cities aren't alike at all except for a few similarities that really, if you try hard enough, you could make with any city you wanted to compare favorably.
The similarities between the 3 are superficial. There are areas of Miami that can easily pass for LA(I've pointed that out in another thread) but based on climate, topography, and even based on most architecture, no one's really gonna confuse Miami with LA.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
The vast majority of homes in Houston and LA don't look like that at all. I would say less than 1% of homes in Houston are of that style.

The average (newish) home in Houston looks like this:

The average home in LA looks like this
That is NOT what the average home in L.A. looks like...at all

Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is a less built up, greener version of Los Angeles without the mountains. We have the ocean.

Houston's density is half of LA's, but in due time that will change as I don't see LA getting much denser. It simply can't unless it builds up, which they're afraid to do over there because of earthquakes.
L.A. is already getting denser and denser. Architecture firms building highrises in LA are not afraid of earthquakes as all of the skyscrapers in LA can withstand around a 10.0 quake. Educate yourself before making silly comments.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 PM

39 posts, read 49,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
L.A. is already getting denser and denser. Architecture firms building highrises in LA are not afraid of earthquakes as all of the skyscrapers in LA can withstand around a 10.0 quake. Educate yourself before making silly comments.
I do get the density part but around a 10 magnitude earthquake? I don't think any city in the world can take that much of a hit.

Last edited by AlphaSunking; 11-21-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM

46 posts, read 47,967 times
The answer here is Houston + Miami = Los Angeles. Both have dimensions of LA that the other doesn't, which makes sense as LA is bigger than both put together (whether you think city propers or metros).

Miami = the fashion, the trendiness, the sexyness, the energy, the entertainment industry, tourists, internationalism, the beaches and the clubs.

All of this is present in Los Angeles.

Houston = diverse ethnicities, great restaurants, strong white collar industries (most people forget about the tech sector in Los Angeles).

If I had to pick, Miami reminds me more of Los Angeles (I'm from Los Angeles, lived in Miami, and now live in Houston) but in reality both have aspects of Los Angeles.

Now if someone asked me if Houston was more similar to Miami or Los Angeles? Without question Los Angeles.

And if someone asked me if Miami was more similar to Houston or Los Angeles? Without question Los Angeles.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's Hispanic population is actually larger than Miami's. Won't find any Asians there either like Houston & LA. Houston is 2nd only to LA in number of Hispanics. Miami ranked 11th.
No it's not. Miami has 2.4 million Hispanics and Houston has 2.1 million. And Houston'a Asian population is far closer to Miami's Asian population than Houston is to LA. LA has over 4 million, I believe? Houston has over 400k and Miami over 150k. Have you ever been to Miami? Miami metro has the 3rd largest Hispanic population in the US.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it's not. Miami has 2.4 million Hispanics and Houston has 2.1 million. And Houston'a Asian population is far closer to Miami's Asian population than Houston is to LA. LA has over 4 million, I believe? Houston has over 400k and Miami over 150k. Have you ever been to Miami? Miami metro has the 3rd largest Hispanic population in the US.
4 million? Nah, it's around 2.2 million in the CSA, with only around 460k who live in the City of LA (including myself).

Metro Matt is obsessed with demographics, even though Houston's demographics are a heck of a lot closer to Miami's than it is to LA's if using the 4 race rubric.

Using "large Hispanic and Asian" population, SF Bay, NYC, CHI, DC, ATL, Las Vegas, SD, Sacramento, etc. etc. would apply. In fact, a huge CHUNK of American cities would apply.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSunking View Post
I do get the density part but around a 10 magnitude earthquake? I don't think any city in the world can take that much of a hit.
I;m pretty sure it's like 9.0 or something ridiculous. It's not as "far out" as you might think, but L.A.'s skyscrapers are probably the safest place to be during a large quake.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM

46 posts, read 47,967 times
Houston feels like it has more asians than it does when I glance at the statistics. Miami never felt that way when I lived there.

Ultimately, this is very hard.

Houston's latino's are largely from Mexico and central America (same for LA) while Miami's latinos are largely from the islands. This has a different impact on culture. To add further case to Houston is the asian population.

However, ethnic whites in Los Angeles are from all over the place and that simply isn't true for Houston (not to say Houston doesn't have Russians etc, but in the same prevalence as either LA or Miami). Miami matches with LA a lot here.

So overall, demographics favor Houston to Los Angeles, but it's close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City