Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,054 times

Advertisements

Article written three years ago (before the height of the recession) in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

Quote:
The statistical story in the Pittsburgh area is even bleaker, according to University of Pittsburgh studies. Seventy percent of black children live with no father. Up to 50 percent of the black males in Pittsburgh Public schools do not graduate.

Because young black males can't be divorced from their communities, the harsh socioeconomic realities that many blacks in Pittsburgh face figure in the story of young men.

University of Pittsburgh studies show that black Americans in this city are worse off than in 70 comparable cities across the nation: up to 46 percent of black children here live in poverty, and 70 percent live with no father.

In Pittsburgh, 70 percent of black families earn less than $25,000 a year. Unemployment for black Pittsburghers -- 9.4 percent -- is nearly triple the rate for white adults, according to studies from Pitt's Center for Social and Urban Research.

Read more: Invisible Men: Many young black males are in crisis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Look all you guys can keep throwing up smoke screens and telling me how Blacks are tripple the population in the South than the North....I mean that's easy...

Show me where blacks live better lives in Birmingham than blacks in Pittsburgh....

Pittsburgh is one of the Most Educated cities in the country that includes blacks....

In Pittsburgh there are several neighborhoods where black and whites are assimilated with each other. Blacks own their homes with well kept property and manicured lawns the whole 9

Pittsburgh there are Black own establishments that are patroned by more than just blacks and in areas that are not predominately black....

Pittsburgh has a strong middle/working class culture were blacks included are able to afford everything the city has to offer, from Culture, Nightlife, Arts, Theater, Entertainment.....

Pittsburgh was not rated Most Liveable City by 6 national publications for nothing.

It's not Whites over here, Blacks over there lifestyle in Pittsburgh.....Is there work to be done to make blacks an even more affluent part of society...sure is...but that can be said for any city in america
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Blackbeauty....show me that blacks in Pittsburgh are offered a better life than in Birmingham, especially since 33.9% of blacks in PITT live in poverty as opposed to only 24.4% in Bham.

This should shut her "blacks are oppressed in the south" mouth. How can anyone claim to be educated and still hold that stereotype?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
lmao....you are clueless....do you think it's all us vs. them down here??? Look, I'm from DEEP in the heart of Georgia...from the small metro of Macon, Georgia...these are pics from one of the most popular clubs here called Envy.....WOW someone call the press...NO WAY these pics can be from the same nightspot DEEP in the heart of Georgia

file:///Users/ambrechapman/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)

WOW....with this being in the south....in georgia....particularly NOT in metro ATL...it's just amazing and defies reason you could find spots like this....the only gatherings there are either hicks in overalls at one place.......and "thugs" at another, right??

Birmingham is much larger than Macon....so you could find even more hang outs like this over there. Get over it the south is not the "stereotype" you want it to be here in 2010, even outside of the big cities.

Us southerners that reside in areas outside of major cities dont even have to travel to Pittsburgh, The Northeast, or even ATL to experience outings like these.
This is win. I don't understand how BlackBeauty could think it was any other way down south aside from tv or some old movies.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
....from what I've seen through my travels, outside ATL Blacks seem to be still very much oppressed in the South...
OMG are you serious? You must have been living under a rock the past 15 years because you've missed the great migration of blacks moving "back south". They're coming to improve their quality of life. And no, they're not all moving to Atlanta. You might want to read up below....

Black Migration South: http://www.inmotionaame.org/migratio...m?migration=11
Article: More African-Americans Move Back to the South - Essence.com (http://www.essence.com/news/hot_topics_4/more_african-americans_move_south.php - broken link)
Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/ny...pagewanted=all
Top Cities: The Top Ten Cities for African Americans July's Black Enterprise Reveals Where... -- re> NEW YORK, June 21 /PRNewswire/ --
Top Cities: Top Cities For African Americans - BLACK ENTERPRISE

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
A city historically known as one of the major front lines in the civil rights movement, Birmingham continues to have a relatively high black/white residential segregation rate. It's no surprise respondents were less than satisfied with race relations in their city.
Top Cities For African Americans - BLACK ENTERPRISE

Thanks for that Carolina Blue....Proves what I've been saying all along.....Segragated...Not my idea of "best experience".... Having high amount of Black doesn't mean a thing when they have to live in Segragated communites as is very well known in the South....Seems like you're the one living under the Rock!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
lol Wiz Khalifa is covered in tats and raps about getting high alot.......talk about glamorizing a stereotype.

Let's not act dude is so much different than everybody else.
Hey but atleast the video shows inclusion....whites and black....very much Pittsburgh

Old 10-31-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Blackbeauty....show me that blacks in Pittsburgh are offered a better life than in Birmingham, especially since 33.9% of blacks in PITT live in poverty as opposed to only 24.4% in Bham.
Show me that offical data....As far I know you pulled that data out your A$$....

Old 10-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
lmao....you are clueless....do you think it's all us vs. them down here??? Look, I'm from DEEP in the heart of Georgia...from the small metro of Macon, Georgia...these are pics from one of the most popular clubs here called Envy.....WOW someone call the press...NO WAY these pics can be from the same nightspot DEEP in the heart of Georgia

WOW....with this being in the south....in georgia....particularly NOT in metro ATL...it's just amazing and defies reason you could find spots like this....the only gatherings there are either hicks in overalls at one place.......and "thugs" at another, right??

Birmingham is much larger than Macon....so you could find even more hang outs like this over there. Get over it the south is not the "stereotype" you want it to be here in 2010, even outside of the big cities.

Us southerners that reside in areas outside of major cities dont even have to travel to Pittsburgh, The Northeast, or even ATL to experience outings like these.

No I'm very well informed....LOL!!!! Silly Child......I can post pics too...Pittsburgh very racist and segragated..SURRRREEEE!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:04 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
As Blackbeauty would say:

The Burgh
On a side note, the reason I chose Pitt is only because I have already experienced Birmingham as an AA male but cannot say the same for Pitt.

No black radio at all.....I may need to rethink this.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
Top Cities For African Americans - BLACK ENTERPRISE

Thanks for that Carolina Blue....Proves what I've been saying all along.....Segragated...Not my idea of "best experience".... Having high amount of Black doesn't mean a thing when they have to live in Segragated communites as is very well known in the South....Seems like you're the one living under the Rock!
I'm not saying living in a segragated community is best, or ideal. I never said anything about segregation, that was you. I'm just stating a fact. Southern cities like Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, etc., are attracting black professionals from the north in huge numbers, and have been for years. If you don't know that, you need to educate yourself more on the subject, and yes, you would have had to have been living under a rock not to know that...

"...Demographic studies have shown that, in general, migrants tend to have higher levels of education than nonmigrants, and this was the case for African Americans migrating from the South to the North...African Americans moving back to the South generally had higher occupational and educational status than nonmigrants...Today, 50.5 percent of African Americans moving south have a college education. Some southern states have indeed experienced a "brain gain," attracting thousands of black college graduates...This specific migration has contributed significantly to the growth of the middle class in many southern cities..."

Link: http://www.inmotionaame.org/migratio...ion=11&topic=6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City