Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 03:57 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
FootballBreak, Balboa Park is not really downtown, but I do like that park. I reinterate what I said. Downtown SD is weak especially if Horton Plaza is struggling and needs massive renovation in order for it work; otherwise, Westfield would have to shut it down. Downtown is stuggling with Petco Park is a disasterous failure with it only being half full. Sorry.
Balboa Park borders downtown and it's nice to have it so close to the city center. And Horton Plaza isn't renovating because it's struggling, the shopping center is over 20 years old and in need of a renovation. And the surrounding area is much better compared to when it was first built, so they want to try to have the mall face the street more so instead of being as enclosed as it is. Malls renovate all the time, they have to. And Petco Park is not a disastrous failure at all and is more than half full. Petco Park attracted more fans per game than Safeco Field in Seattle, which has more capacity too. So would you consider Safeco Field a disastrous failure since it draws less fans than Petco and has more capacity? In addition Petco Park has spurred billions of dollars worth of development in the immediate area. Downtown SD is a success and has improved greatly over the past 25 years and continues to get better every year. For a metro it's size, SD has a good downtown with lots of retail, restaurants, nightlife, cultural amenities, sporting events, conventions, residents, etc... It's population is on par with downtown Seattle's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Balboa Park borders downtown and it's nice to have it so close to the city center. And Horton Plaza isn't renovating because it's struggling, the shopping center is over 20 years old and in need of a renovation. And the surrounding area is much better compared to when it was first built, so they want to try to have the mall face the street more so instead of being as enclosed as it is. Malls renovate all the time, they have to. And Petco Park is not a disastrous failure at all and is more than half full. Petco Park attracted more fans per game than Safeco Field in Seattle, which has more capacity too. So would you consider Safeco Field a disastrous failure since it draws less fans than Petco and has more capacity? In addition Petco Park has spurred billions of dollars worth of development in the immediate area. Downtown SD is a success and has improved greatly over the past 25 years and continues to get better every year. For a metro it's size, SD has a good downtown with lots of retail, restaurants, nightlife, cultural amenities, sporting events, conventions, residents, etc... It's population is on par with downtown Seattle's.
What you are saying is exactly right, but you are wasting your time discussing it with "durf", who by his/her own admission has been in San Diego for a total of THREE HOURS. And yet, he/she can state CATEGORICALLY that S.D.s downtown is practically non-existant, and that Petco is a complete flop ... go figure!

Last edited by PollyGlott; 11-07-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Downtown Seattle and Downtown SD are absolutely no comparison. Downtown Seattle is way, way more cosmopolitan and bigger than Downtown San Diego. Seattle's urban and San Diego's suburban. Petco Park attendance is among the worst in the league, albeit slight improvement due to Padres' performance this year. Wait till next year when its true color shows, and you'll see even more declining attendance rate. The only thing working in SD are the Gaslamp and the water district. Maybe the convention center is working for now, but the jury is out. Downtown Seattle, half the projects built in the last 20 years are working such as the Westlake Shopping Center, Pike's Market and the Washington Mutual's Museum

Like you said, the area around Horton's, particularly the Gaslamp District, has improved. Downtown San Diego is very, very spotty. Try walking by the new Cvs drug store near Petco Park. It's so empty and blighted despite the new empty condos. Seattle's is much better and more fun than San Diego's. There's way, way to many gaps and empty lots in Downtown San Diego. The new highrises in Downtown San Diego has almost no impact on the street scene there/ mostly homeless people, few tourists and legal workers populate the streets. Criminals also walk the streets in Downtown San Diego. I'm talking about during the weekdays.

Downtown Seattle has more upscale shoppers and business people walking the street there. There's a lot of yuppies hanging in downtown Seattle and in SD, the yuppies hang out in North county and the beaches. There's a lot more vibe in Downtown Seattle. Look: 31 million sq. ft of office space in Downtown seattle vs. 9 million in Downtown San Diego. Downtown Seattle has 45,000 people in downtown while there about 32,000 people living in Downtown San Diego. Seattle has a much bigger downtown than SD.. That's very embarrassing since San Diego pop. is 1,340,000 vs Seattle's 610,000. Aren't you ashamed San Diegans? I would be if I were to live there.

You(San Diego) need to grow the downtown area to match your size since you're way, way behind. The easiest thing to do is downsize the area and population to about 500,000. Then, it would be the proper size and downtown for the city of San Diego. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times
Durf, hon, thanks for your sage advice! Downsize our population from 1.3 million to 500,000 in order to meet your standards of downtown-ness?
San Diego will get on it RIGHT AWAY...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Downtown Seattle and Downtown SD are absolutely no comparison. Downtown Seattle is way, way more cosmopolitan and bigger than Downtown San Diego. Seattle's urban and San Diego's suburban. Petco Park attendance is among the worst in the league, albeit slight improvement due to Padres' performance this year. Wait till next year when its true color shows, and you'll see even more declining attendance rate. The only thing working in SD are the Gaslamp and the water district. Maybe the convention center is working for now, but the jury is out. Downtown Seattle, half the projects built in the last 20 years are working such as the Westlake Shopping Center, Pike's Market and the Washington Mutual's Museum

Like you said, the area around Horton's, particularly the Gaslamp District, has improved. Downtown San Diego is very, very spotty. Try walking by the new Cvs drug store near Petco Park. It's so empty and blighted despite the new empty condos. Seattle's is much better and more fun than San Diego's. There's way, way to many gaps and empty lots in Downtown San Diego. The new highrises in Downtown San Diego has almost no impact on the street scene there/ mostly homeless people, few tourists and legal workers populate the streets. Criminals also walk the streets in Downtown San Diego. I'm talking about during the weekdays.

Downtown Seattle has more upscale shoppers and business people walking the street there. There's a lot of yuppies hanging in downtown Seattle and in SD, the yuppies hang out in North county and the beaches. There's a lot more vibe in Downtown Seattle. Look: 31 million sq. ft of office space in Downtown seattle vs. 9 million in Downtown San Diego. Downtown Seattle has 45,000 people in downtown while there about 32,000 people living in Downtown San Diego. Seattle has a much bigger downtown than SD.. That's very embarrassing since San Diego pop. is 1,340,000 vs Seattle's 610,000. Aren't you ashamed San Diegans? I would be if I were to live there.

You(San Diego) need to grow the downtown area to match your size since you're way, way behind. The easiest thing to do is downsize the area and population to about 500,000. Then, it would be the proper size and downtown for the city of San Diego. Good luck.
Actually Durf Seattle has 60,000 people downtown last few years has seen dramitic population gain downtown and 40million sq ft office space.But Sandiego is a tourism based city Seattle is Big business first tourism second. Sandiego is a cool city and I would love to go there sometime I here they have a great model railroading museum and the best zoo in the nation. Both cities are great .

Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:

okay, I never claimed Downtown San Diego was better or as good as Downtown Seattle, but you are really exaggerating how bad it is. You apparently have very little experience and a 3 hour visit does not give you any credibility to go off about SD's downtown like you are. Downtown San Diego has a ton of tourists, more so than Seattle, who do you think are all those people filling up the hotels and restaurants? And the jury isn't out on whether or not the convention center is working. It's already been expanded once before and there are plans to expand it again to meet demand since it does so well. San Diego ranks 9th for having one of the busiest convention centers in the nation versus 20th for Seattle. Convention Centers - Top 25 Sites and "Second-Tier" Convention Cities

It's downtown population is 47,000 currently versus around 57,000 for Seattle, not a huge difference. Criminals walk the streets of downtown SD?!? Not anymore than Seattle, what kind of bizarre statement is that? And the city of SD may have more people than Seattle but the metropolitan area of Seattle has more people than the metro area of SD.

Also please explain how Petco Park is a "disastrous failure" when it has higher attendance than Seattle's Safeco Field? So I guess with your logic Safeco Field is a "disastrous failure" too? This year SD ranked 17th in attendance verus 18th for Seattle.

I'm not sure why you are so biased and negative towards Downtown SD but you seriously exaggerate how bad it is. It may not be as good as Seattle's but it's a pretty good downtown either way, especially in comparison to many of it's peer cities.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay, I never claimed Downtown San Diego was better or as good as Downtown Seattle, but you are really exaggerating how bad it is. You apparently have very little experience and a 3 hour visit does not give you any credibility to go off about SD's downtown like you are. Downtown San Diego has a ton of tourists, more so than Seattle, who do you think are all those people filling up the hotels and restaurants? And the jury isn't out on whether or not the convention center is working. It's already been expanded once before and there are plans to expand it again to meet demand since it does so well. San Diego ranks 9th for having one of the busiest convention centers in the nation versus 20th for Seattle. Convention Centers - Top 25 Sites and "Second-Tier" Convention Cities

It's downtown population is 47,000 currently versus around 57,000 for Seattle, not a huge difference. Criminals walk the streets of downtown SD?!? Not anymore than Seattle, what kind of bizarre statement is that? And the city of SD may have more people than Seattle but the metropolitan area of Seattle has more people than the metro area of SD.

Also please explain how Petco Park is a "disastrous failure" when it has higher attendance than Seattle's Safeco Field? So I guess with your logic Safeco Field is a "disastrous failure" too? This year SD ranked 17th in attendance verus 18th for Seattle.

I'm not sure why you are so biased and negative towards Downtown SD but you seriously exaggerate how bad it is. It may not be as good as Seattle's but it's a pretty good downtown either way, especially in comparison to many of it's peer cities.
San Diego list it downtown population at 30,000 where did the other 27,000 come from.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Give me 70 and sunny 365 days a year! personally I don't know how any one can enjoy bad weather.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Give me 70 and sunny 365 days a year! personally I don't know how any one can enjoy bad weather.
Actually Seattle has a great summer and temps about the same as San Diego except nights are warmer in San Diego. Winter is wet in Seattle but it is a lot warmer than many U.S. cities though about 25 degrees colder than San Diego during winter.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
San Diego list it downtown population at 30,000 where did the other 27,000 come from.
I was off by a little, it's actually 44,000 according to the latest estimates.

http://profilewarehouse.sandag.org/p...ip92101est.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City