Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

No city...every city in America is aware of racial stereotypes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
tokyo?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's because the north has never really addressed the race issues in its region; they were too busy criticizing and mocking the Southern US and completely ignored their own issues. Now as of 2010, they are the most segregated region.

The north maybe the best ethnically and racially diverse region of the country, but that means nothing if everyone is separated in there own little enclaves without much knowledge outside their own communities.
WOW @ complete lack of history knowledge. Holy crap dude. Yeah Chicago had gay neighborhood in the 60s when people in the south were still spraying people with water hoses. GTFO. How about colored drinking fountains? How about you had sodomy laws on the books THIS DECADE. Not racial but all in the same ball park. Do you really wanna go there?

"The north has never really addressed the race issues in its region"

oh my.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
WOW @ complete lack of history knowledge. Holy crap dude. Yeah Chicago had gay neighborhood in the 60s when people in the south were still spraying people with water hoses. GTFO. How about colored drinking fountains? How about you had sodomy laws on the books THIS DECADE. Not racial but all in the same ball park. Do you really wanna go there?

oh my.
Yes, we all know you believe the entire South to be toxic in every single way. Me thinks you are overcompensating just because you grew up in Tallahassee, and wish to distance yourself as far as possible from your roots. It's really nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, we all know you believe the entire South to be toxic in every single way. Me thinks you are overcompensating just because you grew up in Tallahassee, and wish to distance yourself as far as possible from your roots. It's really nothing to be ashamed of.
Hello ATLSuperfriend I thought you were banned.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Hello ATLSuperfriend I thought you were banned.
Guess again.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:58 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
In the few years that I lived in Atlanta it was not uncommon for whites to call me the 'n-word' as they were driving by. Also, some of those far-flung suburbs were like Klan enclaves. Even Chicago was never that bad.
I can't imagine anything like that taking place here today or my adult life in general really. And you are telling me that this happened on numerous occasions?! Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Why are Southerners (especially Atlantans) so defensive when anyone talks negatively about the South? I just don't get it -- people talk about the Midwest all the time, but Midwesterners don't get upset.
You may have confused defense with disbelief. I prefer not to dismiss the allegations entirely, but they are indeed difficult to digest considering Atlanta's strong AA presence which is nothing new. I seriously can't imagine it myself without some type of climactic ending like "then everyone swarmed him from all directions with a barrage of bricks and blows until someone called the police then everyone scattered." Not that it's a lie, but this is C-D, the land of hidden agendas...

Quote:
As far as the Atlanta area "n-word" experience, it's happened to me many times (yes, I used to live in GA, and I'm not even 100% black). You know how often I've heard it up north? Once. To be fair, my experiences happened in rural GA during the 1990s, not Atlanta's core.
You know honestly, I hadn't heard the N word used by anyone that wasn't black (or a Fox news correspondent ) since I was in elementary school until I joined this forum, and that my friend is the truth. So saddening that you (and ChicagoSouthSider if true) experienced this type of ignorance in this day and age outside of Fox and C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Why are Southerners (especially Atlantans) so defensive when anyone talks negatively about the South? I just don't get it -- people talk about the Midwest all the time, but Midwesterners don't get upset.
Oh please. Tell me what your reaction is anytime anyone suggests that people in Minneapolis sound just like the people in the movie Fargo?

Someone stated something that would be a really, really bizarre happening in Atlanta or anywhere in the immediate area occurring on three different occasions. Don't think people from said city would feel like it was made up when people who live there could never imagine it happening, especially with that type of frequency?

Quote:
As far as the Atlanta area "n-word" experience, it's happened to me many times (yes, I used to live in GA, and I'm not even 100% black). You know how often I've heard it up north? Once. To be fair, my experiences happened in rural GA during the 1990s, not Atlanta's core.
Contradict yourself much? It happened to me in Atlanta, but not in Atlanta, in a rural area? Uh, what?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If I wanted to truly bash the south there is plenty of material to work with. I don't need to make anything up. To be honest, I didn't realize there would be such a strong reaction from the locals. What a bunch of sensitive homers.

If someone said that they had a similar experience in Chicago I wouldn't bat an eye.
Who's being sensitive? You said something that was quite frankly idiotic and extremely unlikely to occur and you think people calling you out on that is being a homer?

What bizzaro planet do you live on?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:

oh my.
WTF??? You do realize the south already had established gay neighborhoods during the 60s right??? It appears you lack history knowledge of the south.

Everything I've stated apparently flew right above your head because your arguing about stuff that is irrelevant to what we're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City