Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 63 19.81%
Chicago 257 80.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sounds good for an oversized, sprawling monstrosity that happens to be the Wall Street of the energy industry.
jealous much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
The METRORAIL is no longer than a 15 or 20 minute even during non-peak times. Buses on Houston's major routes are merely 30 minutes on average.

I know. I use the METRO option when I choose not to drive. But for a city of Houston's immense sprawl, all things considered, it's not too bad. There's just a lot of hateful exaggeration when it comes to public transportation here.

People do get out and enjoy a multitude of al fresco dining and festivals in Houston in August and other points of the summer season. Lots of people bbq in their backyards on a good balmy night. Galveston, Kemah, the Woodlands, Sugar Land, downtown, Rice Village and such...indeed people love the summer for milling around in the greater Houston area.

Folks in Houston are generally a bit more tepid of chilly weather than they are of summertime.

Don't get jealous of Houston's weather now...
Yeah, I'm jealous of Houston's weather like I'm jealous of John Goodman's rock-hard abs. I don't understand why it's so hard for southerners to understand that some people actually like winter and don't like 107 degrees and 107% humidity. Where would I go snowmobiling in Houston? Which local SCCA chapter conducts ice trials? Where do your kids go sledding?

Don't get jealous of Chicagos' public transportation system because we actually, like, have one.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
jealous much?
What part of my post suggested I was jealous?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 PM

102 posts, read 179,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
That would be the normal method but when gas prices were up about 2 years ago Houston's economy was taking off more. The gas prices down have hurt TX's economy. Truth is that cities like Dallas and Houston have a inflating economy. Gas prices rising helps them and hurts the rest of us in the country. TX also manages to drill 46% of its oil, which it makes profit off the increase in prices. The gas is worth less when they sell it off to consumers and worth more when they make sales to commercial spenders.
Of course "certain" corporations in Texas will benefit from solid energy prices, but in the aggregate, it hurts an economy.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the effects of high energy prices on an economy, just had to make that point.

Back to the baseless and ignorant bashing of Chicago.

(and fyi, the main reasons why Texas' economy, as a whole, has taken off in recent years lies much more in the fact that they have a diversified economy to weather the recession, little government interference, business friendly climate, and low cost of living - not because it costs them 10cents less at the pumps)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:34 PM

228 posts, read 397,697 times
I have business interests in both Chicago & Houston. I spend time in both cities. Houston is a vibrant city with many great qualities but.... Chicago is decades ahead. Houston will at some point equal the Chicago of today but it will take years.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
LoL @ 30 minute bus ...

also LoL @ calling people boy...
Quote:
"Nothing?" Boy, people know nothing about what Houston's got.
hey boyyy what ya doin round here?

I thought Houston was getting rid of its rednecks.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
Of course "certain" corporations in Texas will benefit from solid energy prices, but in the aggregate, it hurts an economy.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the effects of high energy prices on an economy, just had to make that point.

Back to the baseless and ignorant bashing of Chicago.
I agree, it just happens that the TX based companies know how to profit off of both offshore oil and their own drilling, embargo helps them. The oil spill really hurt TX's economy when drilling was banned for 6 months. But its taking off again.

Well its a two way street here. I see both Houston and Chicago residents taking shots at each other. For Chicagoans I suggest you all ignore HtownLove, the poster is clearly stirring the pot and all of you are falling victim to her. For Houstonians I suggest you all stop provoking a fight with Chicagoans then maybe neither of your cities would get bashed.

I mean really? Your all fighting over which one of you have worse weather when both are clearly amongst the worst in the nation? LMAO

Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
It's hard to beat deep dish and gyros in Chicago...but it was very hard to find quality Vietnamese pho in Chi-town. I rank Westminister, CA and Houston as THE best cities for Vietnamese food. The Bay Area isn't even close. I think being in the colder areas might have something to do with that.
LOL hard to find eh... Where did you go? I can name about a dozen pho spots off the top of my head. They aren't around dt though, while you can easily get gyros/deep dish downtown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ar...toric_District

The concentration of Vietnamese restaurants, bakeries and shops; as well as Chinese, Cambodian, Laotian and Thai businesses along Argyle Street, centered on the Argyle 'L' station has led to the neighborhood being nicknamed New Chinatown, Little Saigon, or Little Vietnam.[6] On June 3, 2010 the area roughly bounded by Broadway to the west, Winona Street to the north, Sheridan Road to the east, and Ainslie Street to the south was entered into the National Register of Historic Places

Very hard to find indeed...Next time you are in Chicago check it out.

Last edited by grapico; 12-27-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM

86 posts, read 121,181 times
Quote:
No last I checked TX is not in the deep south.
You were wrong.

Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
ATL is a rural wasteland,
Wow do you see the cows?

Quote:
Your city is so full of itself they started calling the place "NYC of the South" LMAO.
No it didn't as no one here says that. It may have to do with all the NYC transpants here.

Quote:
ATL is the most irrelevant city in the south.
Yet it ranks as a global city

Metropolis Now - An FP Photo Essay | Foreign Policy

Quote:
Atlanta is so monotonic all you see are white/black people and little of anything else.

Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really,yet it has the 2 largest Koren pop....

Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 PM

276 posts, read 432,431 times
Los Angeles and Houston should be taken of the "city" category ASAP. They are now just census incorporated areas, much like how suburbs are defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City