Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Crystal City? Nah, not in your life.

Excellent argument you have convinced me.

NoMa and Capitol Riverfront are much better than the empty lots they are replacing.
But they will take a very long time to match the vibrancy and character of established urban neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, Back Bay, Rittenhouse, etc.
So far they consist of generic 10-story office building w/ little retail and some condo/apartment towers (ie: Crystal City, Ballston)

Plus, I think people exagerate the time span required in urban building. Things always take longer than expected.

DC is growing, but it isn't Dubai.

NoMa BID

http://www.capitolriverfront.org/

We have some stuff like that going up in West Side of Manhattan. But, at greater densities and easier to integrate into the existing cityscape. The LIC developments are a little more problematic.

Last edited by Caymon83; 02-17-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Arena Stage just opened a huge new complex down there. It and the stadium will anchor the neighborhood by attracting bars and restaurants. That part of town also has good metro access.

It takes 10 years (minimum) to build up a neighborhood. It’s too early to tell.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Yes, the area is small...but its dense and it meshes well with its surrounding neighborhoods. In the same area that you covered n those pics, Philly has probably 200,000 people, at least. So, no. Center City has the 3rd largest downtown residential population at 100,000 people crammed in a small area. DC is largely office buildings and thus at night, the place becomes quiet. Center City is a true residential neighborhood full of bars, clubs, nightlife, restaurants as well as museums, landmarks, and skyscrapers all in one small area. South of Center City lies the very dense neighborhoods of South Philly.

So you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here.
I hate to tell you this my man, but almost the entire city of DC looks like a downtown area. The only way you know you're not downtown in DC is by the rowhouses. Even still there is an abundance of office space and downtown like infrastructure.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I hate to tell you this my man, but almost the entire city of DC looks like a downtown area. The only way you know you're not downtown in DC is by the rowhouses. Even still there is an abundance of office space and downtown like infrastructure.
If you mean density, I'd actually argue that the close-in neighborhoods in DC actually have greater vibrancy and density than the downtown proper. As to the infrastructure, you have some office buildings in and around Dupont, some in the commercial center of Georgetown, and some along upper Wisconsin and Connecticut avenues. But by and large, the building space and infrastructure doesn't really resemble the office canyon blocks of downtown. I doubt anyone strolling through Adams-Morgan, U Street or H Street would mistake it for downtown DC.

The thing about comparing Center City with downtown DC is that's it's not a 1:1 comparison. Downtown DC is, with a few exceptions, almost entirely commercial. And though areas like Penn Quarter and the K Street corridor are becoming after-hours destinations, much of downtown DC is a 9-5 type of place. Whereas Center City is comprised of not only the commercial downtown area, but more residential neighborhoods like Society Hill and Fitler Square, and nightlife hotspots like South Street.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
To bad we can't save this thread and bring it back in 2020. Nobody will recognize DC.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
pls slow down with the DC threads

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
^^^^^^LLS @ Redd!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
In what ways do Petworth or Brightwood look like a downtown area? DC doesn't even have a density that exceeds 10,000 people per sq. mile.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
The city is right at 10,000 ppsm. Individual neighborhoods exceed that and more Louis Cifer.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In what ways do Petworth or Brightwood look like a downtown area? DC doesn't even have a density that exceeds 10,000 people per sq. mile.
That is because of SouthEast DC as well as the parks everywhere. Rockcreek Park takes up a huge swath of land. The national mall as well. Look at the amount of park land in DC. If you don't see the downtown areas in columbia heights, connecticut ave., 14th street, H street, SW waterfront, capital riverfront, and the enormous site currently know as downtown DC, you must be blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City