Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Your photo is grainy! I see a few skyscrapers that cover a few blocks. Click on the picture that I posted. You will see a street grid of buildings that are side by side for two miles running east to west and north to south. I think because DC has height limits you don't get the whole urban canyon concept.
There's just something very sterile, and artificial about DT DC. There is no denying that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
I just see taller buildings, is that the difference? Oh yea DC's downtown looks larger

Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This is like a broken record. CC is more vibrant but it's definitely not more urban than DT DC. DT is completely built out. Wall to wall office buildings on each block running east to west and north to south. If that's not urbanity, then someone tell me what is. Just look at the below snap shot of DT DC.

Nephi - You keep sticking your foot in your mouth. Your credibility is zero. As soon as you posted that I am making a fool of myself, Caymon posted that most of my list is true. Same as when I proved to you that buses of Philly partiers come to DC every weekend and you didn't believe it and then a few posters confirmed my post with first hand accounts. You need to stay in your lane homey.
Listen, yo, you don't know what you are talking about. Center city is more vibrant and more urban than downtown DC. Plenty of posters have already said this. If you consider a downtown that's a ghost town after 6pm (downtown DC) more urban, then something is seriously wrong with you.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I just see taller buildings, is that the difference? Oh yea DC's downtown looks larger
It's not really larger, it's jut more sprawled out, it's nowhere near as dense, it just takes up alot more space.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Look, I love Philadelphia. This thread is only in fun for comparison on this lovely city stat site we all love. However, center city isn't even in the same breath as NYC or D.C. when it comes to urban canyons. If people want to say center city is more vibrant than downtown DC, that's another conversation but center city is not an urban canyon downtown. It's not big enough.

Rules for urban canyons:

-you can't have two or three story buildings downtown

-you can't have a lot of surface parking lots

-you can't break street level development at eye level meaning buildings need to be built high enough that they are out of eye level

-possess multiple streets north, south, east, and west of the center of downtown with continuance development at street level

Buildings all have to be tall enough that at street level they connect at eye view. I know you thought by showing the center most built up part of center city, you would prove Philly has urban canyons but it doesn't for the most part. Two streets north and south of that picture don't have urban canyons. Philly has a lot of two to four story buildings in and around center city and a lot of surface parking.

Here are a few examples in Philly that show the lack of urban canyons downtown

19th and Chestnut in Philly
center city philadelphia pa - Google Maps

And three streets north of that street already out of urban canyons

N 19th st. and Cuthbert st.
Just a point on the second link, this has been demoslihed and vacated currently a surface lot awaiting this; you actually grabbed this exact location pretty much.

American Commerce Center - Philadelphia

Old 02-25-2011, 09:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Kill,

Sprawl? Have you really ever been to DT DC? It's way more structurally dense than CC. DT DC is a two mile by two mile street grid full of connected office buildings. It is completely built out with one surface parking lot, where the old cenvention center used to be. I don;t get the sprawl comment. In fact, it's the opposite of sprawl.

Nephi, your ghost town comment is ridiculous at best. Go to Chinatown, DC at midnight and tell me if it's a ghost town.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Also the footprint of DC's DT is absolutely larger, by area covered and sq footage of office space. The density is debatable. Philly IMHO is more dense in it's msller footprint and DC has density accross it's DT over a larger area. They are really both so different it is hard to compare.

I prefer the one over the other but some may also prefer the opposite.

Is this new area potentially bigger that philly's DT, maybe, will it be more vibrant, doubtful

Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
All of these are probably true, except maybe the restaurants.

But, CC is:
more urban feeling
has more character
more vibrant
somewhat of a "big city" canyon feel
better shopping
more mixed use
more residents
more intesting to walk around on the weekends

Hard to say one is better than the other, they are different.
Actually we established this point in another thread the restaurant ratio was close to 1.8 to 1; Philly to DC in the DTs and within Philly's smaller footprint, one aspect of why the 24 hour vibrancy is more significant on top of more than twice the population in half the footprint

Your last point is very relevant, the construct of DC is really the outlier not the norm

Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Look, I love Philadelphia. This thread is only in fun for comparison on this lovely city stat site we all love. However, center city isn't even in the same breath as NYC or D.C. when it comes to urban canyons. If people want to say center city is more vibrant than downtown DC, that's another conversation but center city is not an urban canyon downtown. It's not big enough.

Rules for urban canyons:

-you can't have two or three story buildings downtown

-you can't have a lot of surface parking lots

-you can't break street level development at eye level meaning buildings need to be built high enough that they are out of eye level

-possess multiple streets north, south, east, and west of the center of downtown with continuance development at street level

Buildings all have to be tall enough that at street level they connect at eye view. I know you thought by showing the center most built up part of center city, you would prove Philly has urban canyons but it doesn't for the most part. Two streets north and south of that picture don't have urban canyons. Philly has a lot of two to four story buildings in and around center city and a lot of surface parking.

Here are a few examples in Philly that show the lack of urban canyons downtown

19th and Chestnut in Philly

And three streets north of that street already out of urban canyons

N 19th st. and Cuthbert st.
Two can play that game.

washington dc - Google Maps

Is there any retail in sight? Food truck? Taco stand? Help!

DT DC is so vibrant. The government contracts and antitrust attorneys really bring this block to life!

Ya know, with a little work and imagination, Philadelphia could one day look like this.

Or this

Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with MDAllStar. Philly could take a few cues from DC on how to really construct a vibrant downtown.

Let's take Walnut Street, for example.

For starters, there aren't enough chains. Where's Quizno's? Potbelly's? Urban Outfitters? Look at all of those rinky dink retail spots I've never even heard of. How can I trust it if I've never heard of it? The only thing I recognize is the McDonald's and even that has a silly flag hanging from the building. What's up with all of those flags? Let's take them down and make this entire block monochrome? And while we're at it, can we try to build more apartment buildings that 1/2 block long lobbies. That'll do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City