Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
So that means DC has also passed Boston in city population.

D.C. passed Boston last year in 2013. Boston only had an estimated population of 645,966 people last year. D.C. is just building so much new net high density housing that it will be almost impossible to keep pace with the city. D.C. will be at or near 700,000 people by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 07:57 PM

266 posts, read 276,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
there is a difference between skyscraper & high rise. a high rise in technically 10 stories. Skyscrapers are more in the 30 story range
Only in DC would 10 floors be considered a high-rise.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
There's a lot of sexual tension between DC and Philly. They're always going at it.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
Only in DC would 10 floors be considered a high-rise.
I feel like education is a choice. Why people choose to remain ignorant is so confusing. A high-rise is anything 12 floors or higher. Washington D.C. has more buildings in the high-rise/low-rise height level than every city in America but LA, Chicago and NYC. The key difference here is, DC is a fraction of the size of all three of those cities. DC has almost as many as LA which is 10 times the size of DC.

*If you add in Arlington VA and Alexandria VA, the land area is still about 100 sq. miles, yet DC would have more buildings than LA at 1/5 the size and be third in the entire nation.

high-rise building | Emporis Standards | EMPORIS

High-rise building - Encyclopedia Article and More from Merriam-Webster

High-rise - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-25-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I feel like education is a choice. Why people choose to remain ignorant is so confusing. A high-rise is anything 12 floors or higher.
I said only in D.C. would 10 FLOORS be considered a highrise. Not 12 floors, but 10 floors, which is what TyBrGr claimed is a highrise.

I think you should take your own advice and become better educated.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I said only in D.C. would 10 FLOORS be considered a highrise. Not 12 floors, but 10 floors, which is what TyBrGr claimed is a highrise.

I think you should take your own advice and become better educated.

My point was instead of stating the actual definition of a high-rise which by the way is just a multi-floor building with an elevator, you wrote that smart #@$ comment "only in D.C." which was meant as a slight to D.C.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
My point was instead of stating the actual definition of a high-rise which by the way is just a multi-floor building with an elevator, you wrote that smart #@$ comment "only in D.C." which was meant as a slight to D.C.
There is no "actual definition" of a highrise. One organization might define it one way, another organization might define it another way. One individual might define it one way, another individual might define it another way. Just because 12 floors in the generally accepted definition amongst the online skyscraper afficianado community, doesn't make that definition "official".

And yeah, it was a smart-ass comment. So what? Whatever you consider to be the definition of a highrise, it's brutal that a developer cannot even build a 200 foot building in DC. And yes, I know there are lots of 5-12 story buildings. You don't have to inform me of that. Maybe if DC started allowing some actual skyscrapers it would start to somewhat resemble a real city. Hell, even the suburbs of DC had nothing over 500 feet last I checked.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
There is no "actual definition" of a highrise. One organization might define it one way, another organization might define it another way. One individual might define it one way, another individual might define it another way. Just because 12 floors in the generally accepted definition amongst the online skyscraper afficianado community, doesn't make that definition "official".

And yeah, it was a smart-ass comment. So what? Whatever you consider to be the definition of a highrise, it's brutal that a developer cannot even build a 200 foot building in DC. And yes, I know there are lots of 5-12 story buildings. You don't have to inform me of that. Maybe if DC started allowing some actual skyscrapers it would start to somewhat resemble a real city. Hell, even the suburbs of DC had nothing over 500 feet last I checked.
Yes, because Paris and Amsterdam etc. etc. are not real cities because they lack skyscrapers. And before you throw out La Defense, it's not in the city limits so no. There is a real definition and it's in the dictionary. You may find the dictionary interesting. I posted the webster dictionary definition for your reading pleasure. A internet site can't define a word in the English language FYI. The dictionary, however, does have authority to do so.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 AM

401 posts, read 649,701 times
Yeah Paris is the best counter argument to the saying "you need skyscrapers if you want density". Paris has a density of population higher than any US city including NYC (and three times the density of San Francisco with 3x the population) and most of its buildings are 7-story Haussmannian buildings.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Yeah Paris is the best counter argument to the saying "you need skyscrapers if you want density". Paris has a density of population higher than any US city including NYC (and three times the density of San Francisco with 3x the population) and most of its buildings are 7-story Haussmannian buildings.
DC has around 90,000 apartment/condo units in the pipeline by 2030. If we use an average of 200 units give or take 100 units, that adds up to 450 high rise buildings. That's not counting any office buildings or hotels. DC is going to be extremely buildout across the entire city by 2030. The urban canyon and building canopy will extend farther than almost every city in the nation except NYC and we have height restrictions to thank for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City