Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:21 PM

266 posts, read 276,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes, because Paris and Amsterdam etc. etc. are not real cities because they lack skyscrapers. And before you throw out La Defense, it's not in the city limits so no. There is a real definition and it's in the dictionary. You may find the dictionary interesting. I posted the webster dictionary definition for your reading pleasure. A internet site can't define a word in the English language FYI. The dictionary, however, does have authority to do so.
There are lots of skyscrapers in Paris proper. Tour Montparnasse for example. And down near the Eiffel Tower are a slew of highrise residentials.

Tour Montparnasse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Yeah Paris is the best counter argument to the saying "you need skyscrapers if you want density".
Nobody said you need skyscrapers if you want density.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:23 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
There are lots of skyscrapers in Paris proper. Tour Montparnasse for example. And down near the Eiffel Tower are a slew of highrise residentials.

Tour Montparnasse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Montparnasse is widely hated by the Parisians & wish for it to be torn down. Yes Paris does have some 12-15 floor buildings, but it is quite funny that now you are calling 12- 15 floor buildings high-rises when a few posts ago you were saying that those are too small to be high rises. I guess you use the 12 story definition of a high rise only when beneficial to you. Also, no where in any dictionary does it say that a city needs to have skyscrapers to be a real city, making your point irrelevant

Old 12-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Montparnasse is widely hated by the Parisians & wish for it to be torn down. Yes Paris does have some 12-15 floor buildings, but it is quite funny that now you are calling 12- 15 floor buildings high-rises
No. MDAAllStar is calling 12 floor buildings highrises. I never said they were highrises. I said 20+ floor buildings are highrises.

Quote:
I guess you use the 12 story definition of a high rise only when beneficial to you.
a. I never used the 12 story definition. That was MDAAllStar

b. How could using a 12 story definition "benefit" me? LOL. You're taking crazy pills my friend.

Quote:
Also, no where in any dictionary does it say that a city needs to have skyscrapers to be a real city, making your point irrelevant
LOL. Dictionaries give definitions of individual words. Of course a dictionary isn't going to list all the attributes required to be a "real city".

Old 12-26-2014, 10:53 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
No. MDAAllStar is calling 12 floor buildings highrises. I never said they were highrises. I said 20+ floor buildings are highrises.

a. I never used the 12 story definition. That was MDAAllStar

b. How could using a 12 story definition "benefit" me? LOL. You're taking crazy pills my friend.

LOL. Dictionaries give definitions of individual words. Of course a dictionary isn't going to list all the attributes required to be a "real city".
So, what America cities are real cities?

Old 12-26-2014, 10:55 PM

32 posts, read 40,988 times
Someone care to educate me on why DC would be worth a visit?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Angelspro View Post
Lol...the same reason Beijing, Paris, London, Rome, Tokyo, and Berlin would be worth a visit. Well, maybe I shouldn't get ahead of myself. I would need to know if you're an American citizen first. Are you? If so, are you saying you have never visited your nations capital?

Old 12-27-2014, 01:27 AM

25 posts, read 48,681 times
Quote:
Depends. Do you like history? If not then there is no reason to visit

Old 12-27-2014, 02:03 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxonhh View Post
Depends. Do you like history? If not then there is no reason to visit
And here comes the uninformed newbie Seattle booster

Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Someone care to educate me on why Seattle would be worth a visit? I'm waiting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City