Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:33 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Do you realize Atlanta is top 10 in student enrollment, financial assets, U.S. Convention Cities, media assets, things that Houston are clearly not? I’m not going to say Houston economy isn’t diverse but compare to Atlanta it’s not. Atlanta doesn’t have to be the capital in a specific industry, doesn’t matter but however Atlanta is a top city in so many in industries it’s not even funny. The only things Houston probably has that Atlanta is not in the picture is the energy sector and a sea port. For instance biomedical Houston is number 1, home to TMC but however Atlanta is home to CDC and Fort Mcpherson is being redevelop into a biomedical research park so Atlanta is still a top city. But flip that and talk about the Food Service industry "another example" where is Houston? This might be the reason why despite Houston having a higher GPD, GaWC ranked Atlanta and Dallas higher. So instead of asking what industry Atlanta and Dallas dominate? You should being asking how many industries Atlanta and Dallas are top cities and Houston is not. And the funny thing is Atlanta is the travel hub for most of the deep south and as we speak a new international terminal is being built. I say Atlanta, Houston and Dallas are equal in importance.

But Houston is more important because it dominate the energy industry.

So True but you know this is going to turn into a war in a minute. Im going to stay out of it..

Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I gave Houston their "props," so chill out and stop being so indignant and on the defensive because everyone doesn't feel the way you do. You can argue this until you're dog tired, but there are equally compelling arguments from other viewpoints.

And again, we here on this board know how important Houston is, as we're reminded damn near everyday.

And referring to Dallas or Atlanta as "second string" in this sense is somewhat of a passive-aggressive swipe at denigrating both cities, so of course people are going to interpret it as such. Then is Houston "first-tier"? It's not quite up there with the likes of NYC/LA/Chicago, but Houston holds it's own in it's own right.
second string and second tier are two different terms. as cities, houston, dallas, and atlanta are most definitely on the same tier

i'm talking solely about economic importance. you choose not to see that, even though i've made it clear several times on these forums that i easily prefer dallas and atlanta as cities

Quote:
I dont think that was intentional on your part, but that's why I said that posters have to "make it plain" on this site, so things won't get misinterpreted or misconstrued on here.

That's why I said I don't think that there is a clear-cut winner between the cities, because as South-To-West so eloquently stated in his post, each city shines in it's own right.
win what? it isn't a competition

Quote:
It seems like it's really making you angry that everyone in here isn't necessarily agreeing with you. Deal with it.
lol what gave you the idea i'm angry? i'm as calm as can be. you the one that keeps cussin lol

Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
The reason Houston forumers say Houston is more important is because of Texas med Energy and Oil which play a real big part in this country. Thats why they say that....
yeah except i'm not a houston forumer

i'm a completely unbiased contributor to these discussions about these three cities

Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
The reason Houston forumers say Houston is more important is because of Texas med Energy and Oil which play a real big part in this country. Thats why they say that....
Ports/Energy/Oil/Medicine/Aeronautics

I see Houston as a level above the other major southern cities in importance because neither offer anything vital as what Houston offers with its energy, ports and oil.

Airports and transportation aren't on the same level of importance as Energy and Oil.

Saying 'Each city is good at whay they do" is correct, but Houston is not only doing good, but leading in what it does. This isn't necessarily saying Houston overall is a higher level than the others, but it's the winner hands down when it comes to importance. It's not boostering when you have facts to back up what your saying; I don't argue Miami being a tourist destination, or Dallas having more popularity than Houston or Atlanta being the center of the south. I think people should come to their senses and let Houston have this. Even people who hate Houston on here at least acknowledge that.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yeah except i'm not a houston forumer

i'm a completely unbiased contributor to these discussions about these three cities

Well if it dont apply to you then dont worry about what I posted I wasnt referring to you because you have said over and over that your not in Houston.. But throught out thuis forum you will eventually know who lives in Texas and most people on her are bias when it comes to there home state or city

Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I see Houston as a level above the other major southern cities in importance because neither offer anything vital as what Houston offers with its energy, ports and oil.

Airports and transportation aren't on the same level of importance as Energy and Oil.

Saying 'Each city is good at whay they do" is correct, but Houston is not only doing good, but leading in what it does. This isn't necessarily saying Houston overall is a higher level than the others, but it's the winner hands down when it comes to importance. It's not boostering when you have facts to back up what your saying; I don't argue Miami being a tourist destination, or Dallas having more popularity than Houston or Atlanta being the center of the south. I think people should come to their senses and let Houston have this. Even people who hate Houston on here at least acknowledge that.

Well thats your opinion Jluke most on here dont feel that way.. Yes the those things are very important. But they are still on the same level in most eyes when it comes to importants.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
second string and second tier are two different terms. as cities, houston, dallas, and atlanta are most definitely on the same tier
What's the difference? Please clarify whatever you're talking about.

Quote:
i'm talking solely about economic importance. you choose not to see that, even though i've made it clear several times on these forums that i easily prefer dallas and atlanta as cities
I was arguing economic importance as well. I ignored nothing. I discussed the economic contributions of each in my post.

Quote:
win what? it isn't a competition
Strawman argument.

I meant that in terms of "economic importance".

Quote:
lol what gave you the idea i'm angry? i'm as calm as can be. you the one that keeps cussin lol
In the post I initially responded to, you came off quite indignant and on the defensive when people weren't agreeing with your about Houston's status.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Well thats your opinion Jluke most on here dont feel that way.. Yes the those things are very important. But they are still on the same level in most eyes when it comes to importants.
I doubt it.

Houston is the center of American's Energy industry and the leader in America's oil along with South Louisiana. If you knock those things down to the level of what Dallas and Atlanta has to offer; it makes me wonder why are Chicago and Los Angeles seen as much more important.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Saying 'Each city is good at whay they do" is correct, but Houston is not only doing good, but leading in what it does. This isn't necessarily saying Houston overall is a higher level than the others, but it's the winner hands down when it comes to importance
. It's not boostering when you have facts to back up what your saying; I don't argue Miami being a tourist destination, or Dallas having more popularity than Houston or Atlanta being the center of the south. I think people should come to their senses and let Houston have this. Even people who hate Houston on here at least acknowledge that.
THANK YOU!!!...thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you lol

i think i'm going to have this post bronzed

Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM

saying that all three cities are "equally important" is kind of like a 1st grade teacher telling two of her students that they're both very smart, when one is obviously brighter than the other...you just say it so they'll both feel special
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City