Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I have to take issue with those here who say Houston is way more diverse than Atlanta. Evidently, most people on here have seen only the touristy parts of Metro Atlanta.

Not only has the city hosted the Centennial Olympics (100th anniversary of the modern Olympics), but it also has a number of foreign consulates, as well as large immigrant community of people from every continent. Metro Atlanta is more fragmented than Houston, hence the vast difference between the city population comparisons and the metro population comparisons. Most of the immigrant communities in Metro Atlanta are located outside of the city limits in unincorporated areas of DeKalb, Cobb, and Gwinnett Counties.

We're not saying that Atlanta isn't diverse. We're saying it's not as diverse as Atlanta. The metro as a whole is still seen as a black and white city. It does have a great number of international presence but not as much as Houston. Houston has a much larger Asian, African, Hispanic, and Pacific-Islander population than Atlanta. It has more consulates than any city except New York and Chicago. It also has much largest foreign born population in Atlanta.

Somebody else mentioned, Atlanta wins in airport, but Houston wins at the seaport level. Which brings in many from SouthEast Asia and Western Africa. Houston has the largest Nigerian population in America and the third largest in the world. Houston has one of the largest Arabian population in the world. Houston also has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in the world. It's just a bit more diverse than Atlanta. The only city that rivals Houston in diversity in the south is Miami.

Quote:
ost of the country's perceptions place both Houston and ATL behind LA,NY,and Chicago but probably see Atlanta as more important than Houston.
I've yet to see that. I've seen them on the same level but Houston slightly higher because of the number of fortune 500 companies, it's highly successful seaport, and it's international presence in the medical , energy, and oil industry.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
See that's the thing. It's pretty much just your opinion that Houston is bigger business or more cosmopolitan so we could argue for days. However, Houston metro is not bigger than Atlanta so the facts clearly condradict you. I say metro because city proper limits are arbitrary and formed long ago.

I also think your wrong about HOuston being convenient internationally. I will admit Houston has a better port than Atlanta (lol I know) but Atlanta wins in air travel. As someone else posted, Atl is the busiest airport in the world both in flights and # of passengers. As far as international travel from Asia, it mostly goes through LAX and elsewhere through one of NY's airports.
but Atlanta has the largest numer of destinations with 239 vs 182 for GB intercontinental.

Most of the country's perceptions place both Houston and ATL behind LA,NY,and Chicago but probably see Atlanta as more important than Houston. ATL, Houston, San Fran, Philly, DFW, and Miami are all comparable in importance but Atl, DFW and Houston are separating themselves from the others.

To Landrover, It doesnt matter whose side of the political argument I'm on because this is a discussion of Atlanta vs. Houston and you are only a troll.
Kudos to Delta for hanging around and reorganizing in Ch. 11. They now have a cost advantage over my hometown carrier American.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 AM

BTW, this quote I made earlier.
Quote:
We're saying it's not as diverse as Atlanta
I meant it's not as diverse as Houston. So if you are confused, just know I wanted to correct it but couldn't find the edit button on my computer screen for some reason.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Kudos to Delta for hanging around and reorganizing in Ch. 11. They now have a cost advantage over my hometown carrier American.
Yes, honestly I'm still pleasantly surprised they're still around after the all the problems for the airline industry.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We're not saying that Atlanta isn't diverse. We're saying it's not as diverse as Atlanta. The metro as a whole is still seen as a black and white city. It does have a great number of international presence but not as much as Houston. Houston has a much larger Asian, African, Hispanic, and Pacific-Islander population than Atlanta. It has more consulates than any city except New York and Chicago. It also has much largest foreign born population in Atlanta.

Somebody else mentioned, Atlanta wins in airport, but Houston wins at the seaport level. Which brings in many from SouthEast Asia and Western Africa. Houston has the largest Nigerian population in America and the third largest in the world. Houston has one of the largest Arabian population in the world. Houston also has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in the world. It's just a bit more diverse than Atlanta. The only city that rivals Houston in diversity in the south is Miami.

I've yet to see that. I've seen them on the same level but Houston slightly higher because of the number of fortune 500 companies, it's highly successful seaport, and it's international presence in the medical , energy, and oil industry.
I thin the issue here is once again, Metro vs. City proper. Of Course the city of Houston has more immigration and is more diverse than the city of Atlanta given the huge difference in land area and population. I'm too lazy to compare diversity levels of both metros but I promise you metro Atlanta is not black and white.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I thin the issue here is once again, Metro vs. City proper. Of Course the city of Houston has more immigration and is more diverse than the city of Atlanta given the huge difference in land area and population. I'm too lazy to compare diversity levels of both metros but I promise you metro Atlanta is not black and white.
If you type in "brookings institute" under google, you can look up the ethnic make up of both METRO areas.

You'll see a difference. Again, not saying Atlanta isnt diverse. Just not as diverse as Houston.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
One other thing, the economy of Metro Atlanta is more robust than Houston's. I'm not saying the Houston is flat--it is a growing city. But Atlanta's economy is more diversified and is not prone to busts like Houston's economy, as we saw in the 80s and 90s during the oil/energy bust. Atlanta is also one of the fastest growing major metropolitan areas in the US and will probably surpass Houston's metro population in the next 10 years.

Houston has a lot of opportunity, but for jobs and quality of life I still give Atlanta the slight edge.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
One other thing, the economy of Metro Atlanta is more robust than Houston's. I'm not saying the Houston is flat--it is a growing city. But Atlanta's economy is more diversified and is not prone to busts like Houston's economy, as we saw in the 80s and 90s during the oil/energy bust. Atlanta is also one of the fastest growing major metropolitan areas in the US and will probably surpass Houston's metro population in the next 10 years.

Houston has a lot of opportunity, but for jobs and quality of life I still give Atlanta the slight edge.
Actually, Houston is not dominated by the oil industry no longer. It's port economy is still growing and the medical industry is now huge in Houston. It's still the largest economy in Houston but I think the city no longer lives on just oil.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
If you're raised in Texas, you're a Texan. He represented this state while in the Governor's office if I'm getting your drift correctly about representation. I'm probably not, so please enlighten me. Who does represent this state?

Who represents Houston? Who represents Atlanta?
Nobody. Who says that we have to have someone who stands for us?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:43 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrover06 View Post
George Bush is from Crawford, Texas and yes, he proudly represents the state. Texas really is one state that is considered by many to be very backwards. Slightly ahead of Georgia.
So, because people "consider" Texas to be backwards, they're automatically right? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City