Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has The Biggest West Indian Influences?
Orlando 2 1.02%
Miami 60 30.46%
DC 3 1.52%
Toronto 36 18.27%
NYC 87 44.16%
Atlanta 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
west indian isn't vague, IMO.
west indian is west indian. if the country is located in the west indies then it is a part of the west indies...

cubans, dominicans and puerto ricans are west indians.
wow why do people make this such a complicated subject. The op does not mean ricans and Dominicans and Cubans. They are classified in the latino category.

Are cubans , dominicans, and ricans ever part of participate in the west indian parade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
yes, they are. google it.
doesnt matter the op is talking about west indian culture which none of those 3 countries share. This is a easy topic plain and simple.

cubans , ricans, and dominicans dont live in the same areas as other west indies or do they participate in the events or share the culture.

we are speaking culture not deep inside roots. We all know where they are located but they ARE NOT PART OF WEST INDIAN CULTURE.

Why is this even a debate really.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
My mother is half Cuban and she does not consider herself West Indian at all. I don't think Puerto Ricans do either. BTW - DC's Carnival kills every cities carnival in the US.
not even close to new yorks carnival which alone is the hugest parade of any sort in america.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC has a huge West Indian population. DC's carnival is top 2 in the US easily. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are not West Indian. Where do you hillbillies get this sh&t from?
dc has a big west indian culture but it doesnt come close to nyc , or Boston though. Dc has a very huge African American popualtion over its west indies and on top of that dc west Indian pop is not as diverse as nyc/boston.

dc is mainly jamaican/trini with mainly jamaican/trini restaurants.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
if anybody has a hillbilly mindset its the ppl that don't include the so called spanish west indies as being a part of the west indies.

you ppl need to go in the same category as ppl that don't consider parts of the south "the south."

facts don't lie.

you guys go with what you feel, i go with facts. *shrugs*

your calling spanish west indies yet again can you name on neighborhood where pr/dr/cubans are living at a high percentage with west indians?

in nyc the west indian population is a bit segregated form pr/dominicans.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
i feel like there are a lot of similarities but ppl only want to look at language...

so i guess haiti isn't a part of the west indies then, with that logic. neither would curacao or any of the other dutch west indian islands.

one could say that each island has distinct culture different from any other island but eh. what do i know.
haiti is part of the west indies. haitians take pride in it, and live together with west indians all over the country and haitians have high marriage rates with other west indies.

i know about 15 people alone who are half haitian half trinidadian.

haitians live and celebrate with west indians. PR/CUBANS/DOMINICANS DONT.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM

26 posts, read 41,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
new york city by far then toronto.

miami is not really west indian friendly. Hiaitians and black americans are the basic make up of the black pop down their.

Jamaican population doesn't even come close, and the other west indian nations are very super small.
South Florida has the 2nd largest Jamaican Diaspora in the world after NYC.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
South Florida has the 2nd largest Jamaican Diaspora in the world after NYC.
and even then the jamaican population doesnt come close to the number 1 group aka haitians.

the city of miami according to the american census that is not updated yet says miami had 2,080 jamaicans compared to 18,309 haitians.

Miami city, Florida - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder

As for south florida the only spot in south florida where you will find more jamaicans then haitians and not even by a large margan is Ft lauderdale or in other words Broward county.

Palm beach county , miami dade county jamaican populations dont even come close.

As for all the other west indian nations they are very very tiny and some almost non existent which is why miami is not the master or close to being the master in west indian influence.

Boston , Toronto , New york city have more of a influence.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 AM

26 posts, read 41,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
and even then the jamaican population doesnt come close to the number 1 group aka haitians.

the city of miami according to the american census that is not updated yet says miami had 2,080 jamaicans compared to 18,309 haitians.

Miami city, Florida - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder

As for south florida the only spot in south florida where you will find more jamaicans then haitians and not even by a large margan is Ft lauderdale or in other words Broward county.

Palm beach county , miami dade county jamaican populations dont even come close.

As for all the other west indian nations they are very very tiny and some almost non existent which is why miami is not the master or close to being the master in west indian influence.

Boston , Toronto , New york city have more of a influence.
You have to expand your search beyond the "city of Miami" and look at Lauderdale, Palm Beach, etc...so that is why I said South Florida.

I have lived in the 4 you mentioned (Toronto, Boston, NYC and Miami) and all 4 have a heavy West Indian influence. The fact still remains that South Florida has the 2nd largest Diaspora outside of Jamaica, I dont care how many more Haitians are there, that is an undeniable fact.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times
Orlando also has a big West Indian population. I live in Orlando, and I know plenty of West Indians in this area. There are numerous West Indian restaurants in CFL. It's very hard to not run a West Indian on a day out in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City