Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:05 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As far as urban space, the Charles River set-up is spectacular. Sailing, beer gardens, playgrounds, run and bike paths, fireworks.. And the way in seamlessly integrates with the back bay is a thing of beauty, as the Public Gardens almost feels intertwined. Also, the big dig had a major effect on greenspace downtown, as many know. It's really lightened up downtown Boston, and meshes well between Faneuil and the harbor waterfront.

That is not to dismiss what you're saying- There's no competition for the broader region.

Attachment 210139
Attachment 210140
Attachment 210141
Does the weather allow it to look and feel like that year round? If not you're only painting half of the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Does the weather allow it to look and feel like that year round? If not you're only painting half of the picture.
I couldn’t live in a place that doesn’t a real summer...can be pretty in fall and winter too

Fall
https://debo2pt.files.wordpress.com/...oston-fall.jpg
Winter
https://render.fineartamerica.com/im...ann-vitali.jpg

Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I couldn’t live in a place that doesn’t a real summer...can be pretty in fall and winter too

Fall
Winter
Nice to look at, but to have a. Picnic with the family enjoying the weather?

Old 04-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Nice to look at, but to have a. Picnic with the family enjoying the weather?
Can have a picnic in summer, fall, spring..

Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Boston has a fantastic waterfront and great outdoors spaces, no doubt. The waterfront in particular is arguably the most pleasant on the East Coast (for an urban setting), although Baltimore is pretty underrated in that regard.

That being said, the definite downside to New England generally is the lengthier winters/relativell shortness of the "green" season.

Just happened to visit the Philly area very recently and was quickly reminded of how spring is at least several weeks delayed in Boston's neck-of-the-woods.

Obviously, it's not as though Philly is in the tropics or something, but there's still a noticeable difference in seasonal timing.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Boston has a fantastic waterfront and great outdoors spaces, no doubt. The waterfront in particular is arguably the most pleasant on the East Coast (for an urban setting), although Baltimore is pretty underrated in that regard.

That being said, the definite downside to New England generally is the lengthier winters/relativell shortness of the "green" season.

Just happened to visit the Philly area very recently and was quickly reminded of how spring is at least several weeks delayed in Boston's neck-of-the-woods.

Obviously, it's not as though Philly is in the tropics or something, but there's still a noticeable difference in seasonal timing.
That noticeable distance is all that keep me from moving there one day. It's a fantastic city, but I just don't think it's worth it when you have better/on par cities to the South. I woild definitely take Philly though.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post

Fall
Winter
Yeah fresh fallen snow is pretty, but we all know what winter actually looks like in Boston.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yeah fresh fallen snow is pretty, but we all know what winter actually looks like in Boston.
True

Old 04-22-2019, 09:25 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hahaha yes. This is true. I was actually in Vermont this weekend and while Boston is in spring bloom, Vermont is still emerging from Winter. The brown, disgusting snowbanks, mud, and bare, dead looking trees gave me a not-so-subtle reminder of what we just put in our rear-view mirrors.

Honestly, I love winter. Specifically, I love the lead up to Christmas as well as the fresh snow and ski weather in January/February and even early March. But by the time late March rolls around and the remaining snowbanks are brown, the ground thaws to muck, and everything still looks dead, I'm ready for the change. And "Spring" here isn't the same as more temperate areas either. No, we don't have the full on "Mud Season" that Northern New England gets, but it seems like we have a few weeks of fluctuating temps and rain (with one or two sunny, comfortable days in between), and then it's summer. I love it here, but I don't know that I'd hang my hat on weather as a primary selling point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City