Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedcorn View Post
I just watched the movie Gummo... pretty crazy on some wild hillbilly ish if anyones seen it.
You watched Gummo? Crazy. I didn't think anyone watched that movie.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,679 times
I am not a hillbilly or from the mountains but I am from the smallest county in TN (you can look it up). I GRAGIATED SCU with 96 other GALS N' FELLERS. I had a fine look'n trailor for a home. I have traveled all over the world in my adult life. My brother has served this great nation in the Marines and graduates college soon. Most of my friends have at least a B.S. in there field of study. Many have their Masters. One of my closest friend and classmates moved to Europe to teach English. Many from Hicksville have moved on to enhance businesses and schools in some of the most populated and backwards cities. I have come in contact with highly educated and not so educated people in Our major cities who have never even left there emediate area. Do you know how many recluses there are locked up in their appartments who only coming out to buy cat food. That is ok because that is their choice. In my opinion the confined and unexsposed city folk should leave their comfort zone and get out a little bit. So in conclusion if you want to know about uneducated, unworldly, unrefined people you really do not have to look far. For the record, I do love New York! I also love my lil Hicktown too! Ps. I have quiet a nice smile. I'm only missing the front two. :-) Have a great night!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,497 times
Southwest Glades, FL

I never been there but I saw a girl in my college do a presentation about the town ("Where You Grew Up" was the project) and she had a very thick Alabama like accent and showed vdeo and pics of the town and it was just strange. Very hillbilly like.
I street viewed it and jeesh
Southwest Glades, fl - Google Maps

Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,711 times
Default de...bomb???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Southwest Glades, FL

I never been there but I saw a girl in my college do a presentation about the town ("Where You Grew Up" was the project) and she had a very thick Alabama like accent and showed vdeo and pics of the town and it was just strange. Very hillbilly like.
I street viewed it and jeesh
Southwest Glades, fl - Google Maps
stereotypes are very hard to dispel. again, you are referring to hillbillies; however, you are about 900 miles south of your intended target. too, a bama gal is considered no more a hillbilly than a minuteman would be considered a communist. nevertheless, i have to stand up for my current state, my east tn friends, and the south in general. while you and others point out correctly that many in east tn are hillbillies, ignorant, dullards, rednecks, and socially and culturally backwards; and, while many have none or few teeth, have freckles, chew tobacco, dip snuff, scratch themselves in inappropriate places and sniff their fingers, wear overalls, dawn straw hats, use poor grammar, have terrible body odor, thick mountain accents, inane sayings, and generally possess bad manners; i insist that these are good people. again, they are the salt of the earth. yes, many may be uneducated, limited, backward, regional or inbred: nevertheless, they contribute a great deal to the culture and economy of tennessee. it is important to realize that tn natives have no need to be "all things to all people." the citizens of the eastern part of the state are situated in a national mountain range. what culture, other than the cultural descriptives above, better depict the life of the mountain people in this area? i would suggest there is none. again, these folk are what they are. many cannot help their circumstances; however, many make no apology for their way of life. most who visit the east tn area find a mountain mistique that brings them back to the natural resources and beauty of tennessee over and over again. mountain folk are okay in my book...just as they are...warts and all!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:41 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile34 View Post
I am not a hillbilly or from the mountains but I am from the smallest county in TN (you can look it up). I GRAGIATED SCU with 96 other GALS N' FELLERS. I had a fine look'n trailor for a home. I have traveled all over the world in my adult life. My brother has served this great nation in the Marines and graduates college soon. Most of my friends have at least a B.S. in there field of study. Many have their Masters. One of my closest friend and classmates moved to Europe to teach English. Many from Hicksville have moved on to enhance businesses and schools in some of the most populated and backwards cities. I have come in contact with highly educated and not so educated people in Our major cities who have never even left there emediate area. Do you know how many recluses there are locked up in their appartments who only coming out to buy cat food. That is ok because that is their choice. In my opinion the confined and unexsposed city folk should leave their comfort zone and get out a little bit. So in conclusion if you want to know about uneducated, unworldly, unrefined people you really do not have to look far. For the record, I do love New York! I also love my lil Hicktown too! Ps. I have quiet a nice smile. I'm only missing the front two. :-) Have a great night!

ITA! My husbands grandfather and grandmother (I mentioned their family a few posts back from Arkansas) moved out to San Diego at about the age of 16 on their own. He eventually became Mayor of a city out there and helped to build a big and popular mile of cars. He died a very wealthy man and did it all on his own. Came from nothing, financially speaking.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
stereotypes are very hard to dispel. again, you are referring to hillbillies; however, you are about 900 miles south of your intended target. too, a bama gal is considered no more a hillbilly than a minuteman would be considered a communist. nevertheless, i have to stand up for my current state, my east tn friends, and the south in general. while you and others point out correctly that many in east tn are hillbillies, ignorant, dullards, rednecks, and socially and culturally backwards; and, while many have none or few teeth, have freckles, chew tobacco, dip snuff, scratch themselves in inappropriate places and sniff their fingers, wear overalls, dawn straw hats, use poor grammar, have terrible body odor, thick mountain accents, inane sayings, and generally possess bad manners; i insist that these are good people. again, they are the salt of the earth. yes, many may be uneducated, limited, backward, regional or inbred: nevertheless, they contribute a great deal to the culture and economy of tennessee. it is important to realize that tn natives have no need to be "all things to all people." the citizens of the eastern part of the state are situated in a national mountain range. what culture, other than the cultural descriptives above, better depict the life of the mountain people in this area? i would suggest there is none. again, these folk are what they are. many cannot help their circumstances; however, many make no apology for their way of life. most who visit the east tn area find a mountain mistique that brings them back to the natural resources and beauty of tennessee over and over again. mountain folk are okay in my book...just as they are...warts and all!
Hillbillies can be everywhere,
SO FL
Upstate NY
West MD
SW NJ
Many Parts of WY
Central and South IL
Many parts of IO
Eastern CO
Central and Southern PA
And the obvious ones
TN
AL
MS
NoFL
GA
etc

SO that whole comment you posted shouldn't be directed to me because i dont think all hillbillies are ONLY in the south, or East TN at that.. chill
and besides.. you're rambling about TN when i posted a place in FL
And the girl in my presentation was Black FYI, but what she showed in the video looked like a hillbilly towns.. trashy homes, unkept or abandoned farms, and rebel flags "proudly" waving in the wind... It's a HUGE culture shock for me since i grew up my whole life in NoJrsy so, ehh.. It would be hard for you to crack the true meaning of Hillbilly in my brain.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Hillbillies can be everywhere,
SO FL
Upstate NY
West MD
SW NJ
Many Parts of WY
Central and South IL
Many parts of IO
Eastern CO
Central and Southern PA
And the obvious ones
TN
AL
MS
NoFL
GA
etc

SO that whole comment you posted shouldn't be directed to me because i dont think all hillbillies are ONLY in the south, or East TN at that.. chill
and besides.. you're rambling about TN when i posted a place in FL
And the girl in my presentation was Black FYI, but what she showed in the video looked like a hillbilly towns.. trashy homes, unkept or abandoned farms, and rebel flags "proudly" waving in the wind... It's a HUGE culture shock for me since i grew up my whole life in NoJrsy so, ehh.. It would be hard for you to crack the true meaning of Hillbilly in my brain.
1. the subject: scary hillbilly towns---florida,imo, is not a hillbilly location. 2. your parameter for hillbillies had not previously been established. 3. fyi, black people in the south, in addition to ebonics, have regional dialects and other "isms". if you have a problem w/ her ethnicity take it up w/ her, brother. 4. i looked at the video site that you posted. needs no explanation to me. 5. i believe that you have your opinion, as do we all. i do not feel any great need to change your mind, as this is not a scientific forum nor a life nor death situation. stop grandstanding, it is very northeastern and unbecoming. i, too, have lived in the east, and i know how to dress people down, when i need to do so. have a good day.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
1. the subject: scary hillbilly towns---florida,imo, is not a hillbilly location. 2. your parameter for hillbillies had not previously been established. 3. fyi, black people in the south, in addition to ebonics, have regional dialects and other "isms". if you have a problem w/ her ethnicity take it up w/ her, brother. 4. i looked at the video site that you posted. needs no explanation to me. 5. i believe that you have your opinion, as do we all. i do not feel any great need to change your mind, as this is not a scientific forum nor a life nor death situation. stop grandstanding, it is very northeastern and unbecoming. i, too, have lived in the east, and i know how to dress people down, when i need to do so. have a good day.
um....... the only place in Florida that does not have rednecks is Miami.

As far as your black comment...... i believe newarkbomb is married to a african american woman and he is white

As far your rant a couple of post ago....... I will flat out say it

The south has the most rednecks of any region. Currently, I live in SC and have NEVER experienced people like this before in my life

Name a town in South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiania that is not filled with rednecks?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,708 times
i have an idealistic notion of rural areas as being close to nature, peaceful and beautiful etc. well, i don't know what it is about rural or country areas in america but you don't get that feeling at all, even though it may be rural it is unbearably creepy, oppressive and depressing feeling. i still haven't figured out if it's an actual energy field created by the residents or it's the landscape or a combination.

the "country" in america is usually not nice at all, no wonder housing in those areas are usually dirt cheap. i still look in those areas but it's never what it's cracked up to be logically in your mind-less people, open spaces etc. it's usually very ugly too.

i'm sure there are some more rare areas like northwest in the mountains or forests where it's not like that as much but the rural areas in america just are not quaint, it's just horrible.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I really have no idea what you're talking about to be completely honest.
-FL does have hillbilly locations, I lived there for 5 months (not by choice).. I been to Jacksonville, and that place is very redneck.
-Hillbillies are known as people who live in the rural areas of the Appalachian mountain region, usually, but they are found in other places since we're talking about a few hundred running as the USA.. I know what a hillbilly is.
-Don't even start with the race card, because as someone else explained it I have a black wife, and a bi-racial daughter and i grew up in a school with a 65% black population and i had more black friends than anything, so i'm pretty comfortable talking about they're race without always feelin like i'm racist by anything i say like a lot of other suburban white people do. The rural southern black dialect is a lot different from the urban NJ accent. So yes, it was different.
-I didn't post a video site... ? google street view?

So to say, i been to a lot of FL. I admitted i never been to Southwest Glades, but i do realize that the hillbilly/redneck/hick vibe is found in a lot of rural FL. At least i didn't mention a "scarey" hillbilly town that i never heard about in depth, or just picked one out of the clear blue sky because of stereotypes, like most people do on CD... so to you... I don't really think what you rambled about is proving anything.

You want me to be more accurate.
Oniontown, NY is a crazy hillbilly town.... but how am i supposed to know that for sure, I only heard rumors, and i never been there or had a presentation about it.. but you would just agree with it because its in the Appalachian region and because you're just as ignorant to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City