Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I used to work at a hospital in Uniontown. Those people *actually were* the most racist people I've ever met. I'm from hilljack West Virginia and this **** would have made my openly racist grandparents raised back in the 1910s blush. To this day I'm amazed. They hated Mexicans. Openly. We'd be talking about the weather and out of nowhere, "Good, maybe it'll get so cold that the damned Mexicans will go back to where they came from. It's too cold for tacos in the mountains." Like it was totally normal and acceptable speech that would offend nobody. And their ignorance of cultures was astounding. One of the many foreign doctors was and Indian doctor who practiced Hinduism. He was once described as "One of them damned "mooslims" that blew up the twin towers." Yes. A Hindu. Blew up the Twin Towers. There was a Muslim doc that wanted to have the afternoon prayer towards Mecca for all of the Islamic practitioners and nurses. These idiots were SCARED TO DEATH. They LITERALLY thought that any day now, one of them was going to walk into the chapel and blow the thing to high heaven. Because "they all hate us."

It was rather astounding.
Fayette County is a trip....completely backwards and overall TERRIBLE no matter what class of people you're looking at...mountain folk or not. Some of the more well-off locals are probably worse than the hicks. But the worst part is that all of these people, who are completely uneducated and downright disgusting at times in how they behave, have the absolute highest perception of themselves...they're actually proud of being hicks/hillbilles/$30k millionaires, and love being intolerant and uneducated....that's the worst part, and I'm sure that you've noticed this. It's impossible to correct anybody about anything, or even question something without getting a response like "well that's the way it is around here"..or "that's how we git r' dunnnn".

I was actually born in Uniontown, but got the hell out of there and moved to Pittsburgh for college. Ironically enough, I was hired by a local school district within the depths of Fayette County after I graduated. If I can't find an opening closer to Pittsburgh soon, I'm buying a townhome in Morgantown WV and commuting to work...I can't take another year of living in Fayettenamm and being looked down upon by half the population because I don't believe in camo, cowboy hats, Dale Ernhart memorial jackets, and Steelers jerseys in July...and actually have a career, am tolerant to other races and alternative lifestyles, am aware that there is a world outside of Fayette-land, and know the difference between there, their, and they're.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 12-10-2009 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM

118 posts, read 282,157 times
The worst hillbilly towns I've ever been to have been in the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania. Most of them are surrounding Johnstown, PA. Bolivar and Robinson (two neighboring towns) are the absolute worst.

I think the West Virginia thing is a myth. I've been through WV many, many times and the poverty and human condition isn't nearly as bad there as it is in the Alleghenies. So if you want a real hick experience, I suggest the higher elevations in Pennsylvania.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epitathpunk View Post
The worst hillbilly towns I've ever been to have been in the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania. Most of them are surrounding Johnstown, PA. Bolivar and Robinson (two neighboring towns) are the absolute worst.

I think the West Virginia thing is a myth. I've been through WV many, many times and the poverty and human condition isn't nearly as bad there as it is in the Alleghenies. So if you want a real hick experience, I suggest the higher elevations in Pennsylvania.
I went to school in West Virginia and PA.

Outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, PA is by far scarier and much more Hillbilly than West Virginia. (there is a Legion/VFW hall in Grove City whose members looks like a casting call for "Deliverance"

PA also and has many more religious kooks than anyplace I have ever visited.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM

118 posts, read 282,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Really, if you EVER want to see droves of hillbillies at their very worst in a single setting, then seek out the Fayette County Fair during the first week of August. I guarentee that after attending, no matter what your current situation is, you'll find a new found appreciation for your job and family..it's really that bad. Attending this thing will move you in ways that are unfathomable to the human mind.
I've never attended, but I've heard the live version of a song from an incredibly crappy local band called The Clarks on the radio called "cigarette", and there's a line where they reference this event and the yinzer audience goes crazy. Must be a big deal. Maybe next year I'll go and take my video camera with me.

For the record, the Clarks are the worst band in the world in my opinion. God I hate those guys.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
West Virginia does have lower incomes counties than Pennsylvania. Although maybe the cost of living is enough lower it doesn't mean more poverty. I sort-of doubt that though.

Nevertheless this doesn't mean that there aren't places in Pennsylvania poorer than parts of West Virginia. Fayette County, Pennsylvania seems to be poorer than Ohio County, West Virginia. Ohio County is the home of Wheeling.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Fayette_County-PA.html
http://www.city-data.com/county/Ohio_County-WV.html

Although Fayette only looks slightly above West Virginia's average. Possibly if one isn't going to Wheeling or Charleston there's no reason to go to West Virginia. Although Huntington, West Virginia looks about the same as Uniontown, Pennsylvania for poverty. Uniontown has a bit more poverty overall with Huntington maybe having more below 50% of the poverty line.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Huntin...-Virginia.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Uniont...nsylvania.html

In any event it is weird the almost prurient desire to find some scary "hillbilly" town. I guess it'd be like my relatives down home asking to see "one of them really dangerous ghettos" but maybe closer to if they said it as a racial slur. (And I admit some of them would, if they were to ask such a thing)

Anyway if you actually want high crime rate Princeton, West Virginia and Newport, Tennessee look to have high crime. They also both have high assault rates.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c404.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c436.html

Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM

19 posts, read 68,738 times
Quote:
and know the difference between there, their, and they're.
lol

Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
How could I have ever missed a thread with the title of
"Scary Hillbilly Towns" !?!?!? ha ha ha.....This is great !!
x10

Johnson City Tenn. is my contribution.
We got one of the first Scion Box's that came into the
country, and on a road trip thru the BR- MTN's a few locals and policeman
saw it with the, YIKES, scary, lib'ral freedum hatin' kommie Vermont
tags on the front and made a total Easy Rider moment out of it.
It was like 3 monkeys checking out a new red ball.
They let us know in no uncertain terms "yer types iznt welcumpt herre"
ha ha ha

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
How could I have ever missed a thread with the title of
"Scary Hillbilly Towns" !?!?!? ha ha ha.....This is great !!
x10

Johnson City Tenn. is my contribution.
We got one of the first Scion Box's that came into the
country, and on a road trip thru the BR- MTN's a few locals and policeman
saw it with the, YIKES, scary, lib'ral freedum hatin' kommie Vermont
tags on the front and made a total Easy Rider moment out of it.
It was like 3 monkeys checking out a new red ball.
They let us know in no uncertain terms "yer types iznt welcumpt herre"
ha ha ha
I've never thought of that before...oh man, I'd love to get a caravan of various Scions, Mini Coopers, Smart Cars, Prius(es?), etc and go on a grand tour of Hillbilly America. Kind of like a state-to-state rally sort of thing, except that it'll be more about survival instead of just finishing first.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I've never thought of that before...oh man, I'd love to get a caravan of various Scions, Mini Coopers, Smart Cars, Prius(es?), etc and go on a grand tour of Hillbilly America. Kind of like a state-to-state rally sort of thing, except that it'll be more about survival instead of just finishing first.
Sooooooo awesome !

I think Scooters and bicycles should be included too.....
Everyone starts out with the same 'uniform'(?)
Lets say....a PETA shirt. Even though EMO sucks, for the game,
you will need an EMO haircut.
You will need to go into predetermined diners and gas stations
in Tenn, KY, WV, AL, etc, and ask if there is a poetry meeting at the local G & L coffee house.

Blackberry pics required at every checkpoint

The possibilities are endless ! ha ha ...

My Teles a '74 by the way......

Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 AM

[/quote]
Quote:

I agree about West Virginia. Some of those little mountain towns can be pretty bad and worthy of the title "Hillbilly Town", but the actual people are nowhere near as nasty or confrontational as what I've encountered in PA. Isolated West Virginians definately keep to themselves and shun outsiders, but if you find a way to get around that, they're genuinely nice people and can be really friendly and helpful. The overall perception is definately worse than what it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I went to school in West Virginia and PA.

Outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, PA is by far scarier and much more Hillbilly than West Virginia. (there is a Legion/VFW hall in Grove City whose members looks like a casting call for "Deliverance")PA also and has many more religious kooks than anyplace I have ever visited.
One of my all time favorite adventures was taking a road trip to Johnstown on a cloudy day, in the dead of winter. I honestly felt like I was walking around in some kind of zombie movie or whatever, it was genuinely creepy. I really don't understand how PA was able to escape being affiliated with the national perception of "hillbilly". I'm guessing maybe Philly is what somehow saved the state...a lot of locals refer to parts of Western/Central PA as "Pennsyltucky", but I've never heard that phrase outside of the state before.

Quote:
I've never attended, but I've heard the live version of a song from an incredibly crappy local band called The Clarks on the radio called "cigarette", and there's a line where they reference this event and the yinzer audience goes crazy. Must be a big deal. Maybe next year I'll go and take my video camera with me.

For the record, the Clarks are the worst band in the world in my opinion. God I hate those guys.
I hate the Clarks...no need to go into detail as I'm sure you know exactly why. Aside from the Clarks, the Fayette County Fair also features such wonderful acts as "Junior Guthrie and the West Virginia Push"....only look into them if you truly hate yourself and love auditory punishment. But if you do decide to venture out to the fair, make sure you go in a group, and be sure to go on a Friday/Saturday evening. Maybe a Sunday evening if a concert is scheduled, it's definately worth your time if you know how to laugh. The best part is that about 3 or 4 years ago they started to sell alcohal...so that's pig races, "Junior Guthrie and The West Virginia Push", cheap beer, and some of our nation's finest hillbillies...all in one tiny little place on a lovely late summer evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City