Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90210 Beverly Hills View Post
********* Troll
ok 20 geesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Now, now, I've never even been to LA and I know that is not true.
Well, actually, it's not too far off target. Los Angeles offers many amazing things, but street life and urban environments simply aren't among them.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM

136 posts, read 266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL

Youve just stirred the hornet's nest. Now Youre gonna have every San Diegan, Phoenician, Dallasite, San Franciscan and Houstonian coming looking for trouble from here to Christmas.
Lol @ lesser cities.

Ok...I'm done.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn's Finest View Post
Lol @ lesser cities.

Ok...I'm done.
Well I guess will just have to settle for all the people living those cities for the south lol

Old 08-08-2008, 01:08 PM

136 posts, read 266,949 times
I quit while I was ahead, and I emerge unscathed. Mission Success.

Speaking of the south, I was in NC recently to visit family.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
NYC is the #1 city in the country. My personal opinion is that London is the #1 city in the world and Hong Kong has the #1 skyline (especially when you consider it's wonderful natural background as well as the manmade goliaths that they have built). the point being...NYC is #1/end discussion.

LA has the pompous and high horse riding celebs and the misconception of the world that LA is the best place in the world filled with the most beautiful people. Not considering the illegal aliens and disgusting amount of bums...it still is the #1 city in the eyes of the television/media.

So what we have is the undisputed #1 city in NYC and the manufactured created image of LA being #1 through the eyes of the camera lens.

I've lived in chicago all my life, and still work in the loop, it is a great city but it is a tough/gritty city. i find some of the people to be uncaring and just flat out struggling to put a smile on their faces as they walk down the city's wide and clean sidewalks. The weather is terrible no matter what any hardcore chicago booster will say. Here it is August and at night the weather has been 59-62 degrees...in the middle of August! that is terrible. plus you can look at chicago and its' surrounding suburbs (since 7 million people live in chicagoland comapred to only 3 million in the city proper) to see how many days the chicago area has of sunshine compared to a lot of other areas in america.

chicago's weather does it for me. I'm moving to mississippi very shortly (the coastal region) where its' blue skies and warm weather all year long. i just don't like the pollution (step outside of your building and take a deep breath, how does that smell?), traffic (constant blare of absurdly loud Chicago ambulances and fire trucks combined with too many crazy taxis cutting you off even pedestrians!), crime (murder rate is/has been higher than NYC for some time plus chicago's homicide rate has skyrocketed this year), and the people tend to be tough and gritty. I am ready for some good ole southern hospitality where people still have manners and use language such as "yes mam and yes sir." this is not against chicago but against all large cities.

In short, Chicago is the most American city in the world and has a lot of things going for it. but i do detest how many billions of dollars the mayor consumes to "put on a pretty face" for toursists and what not with projects like millenium park when crime is still out of control combined with not enough money being devoted to its' educational system. Chicago also has the highest sales tax in the country...10%! imagine paying an extra 10% everytime you buy something. It's absurd! Where is that money going because I don't see any improvements...

Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Just like Chicago is a murder mecca with a murder rate that far exceeds that of LA and New York.

Let's keep it real.
i guess that makes LA's gangsters wankstas.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
No, I live in Southern California and was born here. So I know it quite well.

You appear to be on some campaign against LA through pointing to crime in surrounding cities, but that won't change the FBI crime stats. Chicago is the most dangerous with the highest murder rate in comparison to LA and NY. If Chicago is beginning to get things under control, then I am glad to hear of it.
It was a statistical anomaly, this year gang wars have been driving the city crazy.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
The weather is terrible no matter what any hardcore chicago booster will say. Here it is August and at night the weather has been 59-62 degrees...in the middle of August! that is terrible. plus you can look at chicago and its' surrounding suburbs (since 7 million people live in chicagoland comapred to only 3 million in the city proper) to see how many days the chicago area has of sunshine compared to a lot of other areas in america.
This is a joke, right?. Youre gonna move to the nation's poorest state (Mississippi), with the 2nd worst schools in the nation, horrible summer heat and winter tornadoes? Good luck! Well, I guess MS is nice if you like a crappy economy, hot and horribly humid summers, tons of bugs, no diversity, garbage schools, no world class cities, etc. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Oh, BTW, Jackson, MS only averages 6% more sunshine than Chicago. Oooohh, that some hardcore sunshine paradise youll get there!
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Jackson, Mississippi, United States of America

And MANY people would LOVE to have 50/60 degree nights. Its been wonderful to not have to run the A/C like 80% of the country is doing right now.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 AM

i knew i would come across you sooner than later. you have your opinion and i have mine. I am confident my knowledge of mississippi is much deeper than yours. Jackson is in the middle of the state, I said the coastal region. Why don't you compare those stats for the rest of us? Your opinion represents a lot of broad statements typically made by people who don't know much about America's best kept secret. Ocean Springs has one of the finest school districts in the United States. the Delta region of mississippi (western portion that borders louisianna) skews the numbers. again, i have my opinion and you have yours. Your opinion is worth no more or no less than mine. I have a Chicago education that will enable me to live fruitfully in mississippi. Especially, since the cost of living is ridiculously low. Why don't you talk about Chicago's 10% sales tax? Please, go ahead. I want to see you attempt to spin that one in a positive pro-chicago slant.

I even edited the portion of my post that you quoted and took out "steve-o" and inserted chicago boosters because I knew before I even posted that you would have something to say about it...I'm on to you. As are many others on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This is a joke, right?. Youre gonna move to the nation's poorest state (Mississippi), with the 2nd worst schools in the nation, horrible summer heat and winter tornadoes? Good luck! Well, I guess MS is nice if you like a crappy economy, hot and horribly humid summers, tons of bugs, no diversity, garbage schools, no world class cities, etc. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Oh, BTW, Jackson, MS only averages 6% more sunshine than Chicago. Oooohh, that some hardcore sunshine paradise youll get there!
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Jackson, Mississippi, United States of America

And MANY people would LOVE to have 50/60 degree nights. Its been wonderful to not have to run the A/C like 80% of the country is doing right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City