Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberS View Post
As an LA native who has visited Chicago and New York at least once a year because of family, I have to let you all know that people from LA could care less about Chicago or New York. When I visit, I am horrified by how overwieght and out of style people from both cities are. Just plain unattractive! Not one person in LA would ever, ever, EVER want to move to either of these gloomy and sad places to live. We dont care about dark and dismal highrises...how does that make a city?California is just so much larger than Illinios or New York that a visitor could never begin to imagine what it is like to live here. LA is famous because the general quality of life is FAR superior to either of these cities. My best friend is a brooklyn native and she says she would rather die than move back to that pathetic place. In LA it is gorgeous, sunny, the people are hot, there are so many outdoor activities to do, the food is world-class (and HEALTHY), the nightlife (hidden from visitors-is by invite only) ETC, ETC, ETC. People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.
My, my. How kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno. I've spent 30 years living outside and working in New York City, and Chicago is ahead of LA on my list of cities I want to visit.
What does that have to do with what I wrote?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Chicago has turned into a nickel and dime kind of town, only on a much bigger scale.
Do you believe this phenomenon is limited to Chicago?. The world has turned away from Hollywood as film industries worldwide have far surpassed it in scale, talent and production. The rest of LA is by and large concerned with manufacturing, which grossly eclipses any such activity in Chicago. Chicago may be in the Rustbelt, but Los Angeles far outstrips Chicago for industrial activity. Chicago shed those jobs, and it seems that LA picked them right up.

Chicago now owns the New York Mercantile Exchange, and it is home to the global derivatives industry. The only thing NYC has these days are... no, there are no more investment banks. A few commercial banks, like everyone else, and a stock market that has lost nearly all of its global relevance.

In the modern world of online banking and global capital management, both the nation and the world have turned elsewhere. Europe, Asia and South America aren't going to return like they used to for capital in NYC. It doesn't matter where a company is headquartered.

The American west has long since been divorced from the folks back east. The South has turned to South America. Chicago and the midwest-- self-sustainable as always-- have looked abroad increasingly. CME could buy Manhattan, if it wanted to.

Quote:
Plus, Do we really need to remind them that they are still a part of the very mundane and humdrum midwest. Diversity is often bragged about but essentially ignored by most locals in day to day life.
That's every city, sweetheart. Welcome to the adult world, where people work. Every day. I know it looked different on the sitcoms, but if you hang on long enough you'll see that there aren't even sound effects.

Quote:
The winters are so bad that the locals will often curse loudly as they are waiting for the el train, or scraping ice off their car windows at 5 am in order to beat the 2nd worse traffic in America. Those who claim they live on the cheap are over exaggerating their "urban experience"
That's funny, that sounds exactly like Boston. I was just there, and this perfectly described the situation. The east coast is has been pummeled by snow and ice lately.

Quote:
Be very wary of these claims of an affordable Chicago. The "affordable" apartments are usually sardine cans with expensive heating costs in sketchy neighborhoods.
We actually had a thread on the Chicago board with respect to heating costs. Case in point, I own two properties from the 1800's, and I don't think that I've ever paid more than $100 a month on either one for heating. Not even in the dead of winter. Utilities are dirt cheap in Chicago, and rent is vastly less than it is elsewhere.

So... what are you talking about again?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Chicago is fifth.
Are you the authority, or is this just your opinion?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
As an LA native who has visited Chicago and New York at least once a year because of family, I have to let you all know that people from LA could care less about Chicago or New York. When I visit, I am horrified by how overwieght and out of style people from both cities are. Just plain unattractive! Not one person in LA would ever, ever, EVER want to move to either of these gloomy and sad places to live. We dont care about dark and dismal highrises...how does that make a city?California is just so much larger than Illinios or New York that a visitor could never begin to imagine what it is like to live here. LA is famous because the general quality of life is FAR superior to either of these cities. My best friend is a brooklyn native and she says she would rather die than move back to that pathetic place. In LA it is gorgeous, sunny, the people are hot, there are so many outdoor activities to do, the food is world-class (and HEALTHY), the nightlife (hidden from visitors-is by invite only) ETC, ETC, ETC. People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.

Interestingly enough, I spend a lot of time in Chicago, and I've NEVER heard anyone there talk about LA or NYC (not once). Just so you know, not everyone is envious, and some people actually feel sorry for you too!!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
I really do not care if my posts are considered "trolldom" by you or anybody else. I speak my mind, and if the negative aspects of a particular city are roaring in your ear, perhaps you should not pay attention to people's negative opinions, especially if you are that sensitive.

In my book, anyone who paints Chicago as a place that is automatically better than other cities is a troll. There are many of those people here. They post over and over and over and over and in my estimate as a former Chicagoan, they are nothing but boosters that are not giving an accurate view of the average way of life in Chicago.
Some pro-Chicago posters have THOUSANDS of posts (no life) which praise Chicago plenty more than they knock it and that's fine, but there are too many who build up places like New York and Chicago, etc as the cream of the crop. They are not automatically the cream of the crop as far as cities. This is called "city-data" not "city with over two million people data"
I guess I was too considerate of you yesterday and gave you more credit than you deserve...

You do seem to be of dementor's ilk and fear that your trolling time on this board is limited. From the responses, you're not making many friends, nor is your trolling particularly effective or persuasive. You're not providing any insight; you're simply here to draw up trouble. We get it. We've seen your type and you're boring. We know-- Chicago has limitations and problems. It also has a lot of good.

Go outside and get some fresh air. It might be cold, but it beats sitting inside with your negative thoughts and disparaging comments. You seem young-- try not to be so bitter. The world is not against you.

BTW-- why did you feel the need to dredge this post up from the depths?

Last edited by BigLake; 01-19-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
And this post ^^by you is constructive? Yeah, right. Pot... meet kettle.

BTW, nobody's time trolling on this board is limited. If you think that less than 90% of the people here are not idiotic boosters or trolls you are nuts. There is very little use of "data" on this site. Just alot of top ten lists and other goofy opinion threads.

Losers like you have been trolling here for years it looks like.
LOL... smile, alright? You seem to have a habit of dredging up any negative Chicago threads, then you complain about Chicago, then someone calls you out and it's "Who? Me???". I'd be willing to bet the majority of your posts are centered on focusing on negative Chicago aspects, primarily to get a rise out of people. Am I right Pam? Yes, Pam, I'm right.

Not everyone is against you... just seems that way sometime.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
People from LA feel sorry for you all. Good luck with your highrises and greasy food. We dont even know your alive.
Haha, that actually made me laugh out loud just because of how pretentious and condescending it is.

I mean listen - Chicago and New York compared to LA are about as opposite as you can get. Probably the reason why people in LA couldn't imagine living there, and believe it or not a LOT of people in New York and Chicago would never imagine moving to Los Angeles.

I've been to LA multiple times, and obviously people love the area, but as I was chatting with to my friends last weekend - it's just about the last place in the country we would ever move to for our own personal tastes.

It makes people come off so petty and ignorant when they make blanket commments about places they're not interested in. Especially to say everyone in LA "feels sorry" for the people living up north. As if people are trapped there or something.

LOL.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
Quote:
How do you sound right now, first you say people in LA feel sorry for people living in New York & Chicago, then you say you don't even know they're alive. Please stay wherever you are because in NYC and Chicago you'll get smacked for talking like that, oh that's right they could give a damn about you anyways lol.

They're "hot" people everywhere not just in your fantasy land loosely based on LA. Dark and Dismal High rises? Lol I'm in NYC right now and I'm not in a dark and dismal high rise and I see tons of trees, oh and the sun shines here as well but isn't it storming until the weekend in LA lol.

I can see right through you, you took the time out of your great LA day to hate on NY & Chicago so you're clearly insecure. I love all 3 cities but inhabitants such as you get on my nerves, thank goodness they're few and far between.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City