Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 05:06 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Of course your neighborhood is clean and beautiful, you live in Manhattan. I'd guess its not Uptown Manhattan either. Take a trip to the slums of Uptown and the Bronx....tell me me if it's spotless. Where I live it sure as hell aint.

ANd Hustla's no idiot. Have more respect.
Why in God's name would I venture to the ghetto?

I don't know or care dirty the ghetto's look like; aren't all ghettos supposed to be disgusting anyway?

It's so easy to avoid the ghettos living in Manhattan, but when I lived in Los Angeles I had to drive through nasty parts to get to where I'm going sometimes and it was just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:00 PM

646 posts, read 814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The reason why there are no public stalls in NYC is when the city experimented with the idea about a decade ago, they got sued for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act because they were not wheelchair accessible. And it was not practical to make them so -- they would have to be so big as to completely block sidewalks. I'm all for making reasonable accommodations for the disabled, but sometimes the disability advocates forget that "reasonable" is part of the equation. And I don't think it's reasonable to deny 98% percent of the population the use of public stalls which 100% of the city would benefit from (cleaner, more sanitary city) because 2% of the population can't use them.
I agree and while Bloomie is always over in London getting directions for what he should do in NYC and sucking up to the Brits as if he they're going to give him funding for all his proposals such as added surveillance, how to have cellular service in the mta, etc, etc, he can ask them what they did with their disabled!! and go to Paris and elsewhere and ask the same thing.

I haven't ridden LA's new subway so I can't comment but have in other cities. However most of the time in other cities with or without subways you don't need restrooms in this country because businesses and buildings in general don't close them to the general public like they do in NYC

It would increase tourism and even make NY safer with more pedestrian traffic in the prime areas at least.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Dirtiest: Detroit

Cleanest: Nashville

Old 11-17-2007, 11:33 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Cleanest: small city? Key West big city? Denver.

Dirtiest: NYC, I though Dallas was bad I think you would have a tough time finding those pics in Dallas. Detroit would take my 2nd place.

i guess Dallas is a little worse then normal though: 50 Cleanest (Dirtiest) Cities in America
scoring above Memphis which really surprises me.

Edit: I was reading, if you meant international that is easy.

Cleanest: Probably Singapore

Dirtiest that I've Been to: Manila... BY GOD IS IT MANILA.

Paris isn't dirty, the French people just don't take pride in there city and literally let there dog crap all over the city. As a result their streets constantly small like Crap, how can you eat outside... NEXT TO A TREE????

Last edited by CMDallas; 11-17-2007 at 11:44 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Miami is the ONLY city to get a 50 on air!
(And those other bad scores are only Miami proper I'm sure... NMB has EXCELLENT water!!! )

Old 11-18-2007, 12:08 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Cleanest - Minneapolis
Dirtiest - New Orleans (pre Katrina)

Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post

Dirtiest: NYC, I though Dallas was bad I think you would have a tough time finding those pics in Dallas. Detroit would take my 2nd place.

i guess Dallas is a little worse then normal though: 50 Cleanest (Dirtiest) Cities in America

Paris isn't dirty, the French people just don't take pride in there city and literally let there dog crap all over the city. As a result their streets constantly small like Crap, how can you eat outside... NEXT TO A TREE????

The times I've been to Dallas proper I thought rather than dirty it was just messy and jumbled. I think they might've straightened some things out by now.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post

And of course NYC is at the very bottom of that list by RD.

So for "The Greatest City in the World" as NYers love to claim I suppose it in reality isn't so great when it comes time to use the bathroom. For that they'll tell you to use Mary Poppins' who lives in a penthouse on the Upper East Side.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
After travelling all over Italy, I can honestly say that no city beside Milan is exactly clean. I didn't travel everywhere- just Rome, Venice, Florence, Milan, and Sienna. From the ones I visited, I found Venice to be the dirtiest, then Rome, Sienna, Florence, and Milan was the cleanest.

I agree with that list. When I visited San Jose, everything was clean. Santa Cruz was pretty clean for all the tourists they get. Las Vegas is definitely the most surprising-it's quite clean for the number of tourist, probably because everything is brand new. But that's mainly The Strip-in North Las Vegas where my grandparents live, it's a different story. Utica, NY is filthy. Boston was pretty clean. San Diego seems like one of the cleanest cities for its size.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I'm going to second Hustla in this and state that NYC is the filthiest city that I have ever seen. Because the buildings are so close, often with no alleys, trash piles like mountains outside your tiny apartment. Even in Calcutta the people understood that you throw garbage outside the city.

The smell of urine is omnipresent in every corner of the city. In all boroughs. I will never understand this. Where are all of these pedestrian urinators coming from?

However, it is the attitude which makes NYC so inherently dirty. People well and truly do not care about throwing trash on the ground, or throwing up on subways, or disposing of garbage wherever you happen to be.

In terms of cities and not areas, I think Chicago is the cleanest city that I have seen so far. I didn't appreciate alleyways until I moved back here. I didn't appreciate comprehensive sewer systems until I moved back here. I certainly never appreciated neighbors that felt guilty (even the ones that don't speak English!) for cooking if the aroma travels. I have a family of mad Russians that lives on the floor below me, and the father used to apologize weekly for the smell of cabbage (I told him to stop apologizing; it wasn't terrible and as long as they opened the windows it went away).

Every single day I see someone in this city pick up garbage from the ground and throw it away. Just passerby, even those with high-quality leather gloves. Hell, our businesspeople pick up trash if they see it. It's just what you do here.

I do believe that our mass transit is pretty dirty, however. Again, it still doesn't compare to the filth I regularly dealt with on the subways in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City