Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural510 View Post
to loosely quote braveheart, the problem with boston is it's full of bostonians.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Don't know about Kentucky but as you said at the time VA, PA, MA were the more powerful states. At the time existed only colonies which were directly under the rule of Great Britain and the king while VA, MA, PA were granted commonwealth status as they were linked to the empire but were granted permission to rule to their own regulations if they so desired.

Currently a commonwealth holds no relevance but before the country separated from the empire it held a distinctive honor for the states that were granted commonwealth status. Once again though, I don't understand why Kentucky is included with the other three.
Interesting that in all my years of working in history I've never heard this before. Finally! It makes sense. I had no idea that MA, PA, and VA carried these titles BEFORE they declared their independence.

As far as Kentucky goes it was originally a part of Virginia so I assume when it broke off and became a separate state it retained the title "commonwealth" especially considering that it looks like going by what you said it seemed like a more a prestigious title to those alive at the time.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:41 AM

31 posts, read 50,542 times
If I hear another Phillies problem is that it's next to NYC and that's the reason why it's so unsuccessful or Philly is overshadowd by NYC. That's a bunch of CRAP. Philadelphia is the only city that can rival NYC toe to toe. Yes New York has better R.E. and surpassed Philadelphia but Philly has been there since the beginning. Philadelphia still stands strong and currently has one of the top 10 largest economies in the World. How's that for such a loser city or overshadowed city. Philly never wanted to be a Look at me, shiny city. Philly is and always has done it's own thing, is that bad, Hell Nah. Now I vote for Philly because it is the #2 in the East Coast. Boston is Major (New England) but Philadelphia is Philadelphia U.S.A. Cultural Enforcer.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Also for those state folks Pennsylvania's GDP is over 500 billion and Philadelphia is it's largest city. Massachussetts over 300 billion.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
New York!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Yea, I was being facetious, even though the technical title of Pennsylvania is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it's still obviously one of the 50 american states. Both Massachusetts and Pennsylvania are commonwealths you're right (and to the best of my knowledge the only two states to have that title) which is yes basically another name for a state. My point was that it's not as though Pennsylvania wasn't a state until the Constitution was signed as MassVT tried to claim. Pennsylvania was a state since the creation of this country in 1776 and was a State in 1780 when it became the first state to abolish slavery.
legally, the "states" didn't exist until the ratification of the Articles of Confederation. Between July 4, 1776 and the AoC, we were just 13 sovereign nations working together for a common goal.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOB123 View Post
Also for those state folks Pennsylvania's GDP is over 500 billion and Philadelphia is it's largest city. Massachussetts over 300 billion.
Pennsylvania is a huge state that includes Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is almost as far from Philly as Boston is.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Pennsylvania is a huge state that includes Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is almost as far from Philly as Boston is.
Very true. We need to consider population here. While Massachusetts ranks 12th in terms of total state GDP, its per capita GDP ranks 6th in the country -- very impressive.

Massachusetts should definitely serve as a model to PA (and all "Rust Belt" states, for that matter) as it continues on its long road of de-industrialization that Mass. completed long before PA.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOB123 View Post
If I hear another Phillies problem is that it's next to NYC and that's the reason why it's so unsuccessful or Philly is overshadowd by NYC. That's a bunch of CRAP. Philadelphia is the only city that can rival NYC toe to toe. Yes New York has better R.E. and surpassed Philadelphia but Philly has been there since the beginning. Philadelphia still stands strong and currently has one of the top 10 largest economies in the World. How's that for such a loser city or overshadowed city. Philly never wanted to be a Look at me, shiny city. Philly is and always has done it's own thing, is that bad, Hell Nah. Now I vote for Philly because it is the #2 in the East Coast. Boston is Major (New England) but Philadelphia is Philadelphia U.S.A. Cultural Enforcer.

Why is Boston constantly ranked a one of the most powerful cities in the world? Why is Boston ranked the most innovative in the world? Why is Boston ranked as one of the world's top 20 financial centers? Why is Boston one of the ten most visited cities in the US? etc, etc.

As for culture? Who's ever heard a Philadelphian accent? I mean this in terms of Boston's influence over movies, TV, music. Boston as a cultural tour de force is probably ranked with New York and Los Angeles. Think of collectively the art, literature, music, philosophy that has been produced in and around that city. Now think and realize its impact not only on the United States' identity, but the world.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

Ah Boy! Old funky Philadelphia didn't have anything to do with that. It was just the second largest city in the British Empire, The Largest City in the Colonies and The Largest city in P.A. at the time. Okie Dokie Philadelphia

Back to the OT Philadelphia is definately #2 after NYC for top city on the Eastern Coast U.S.A. and North East Coast. Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City