Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The state PLANTS pines alongside the interstate.
Why is this? I mean why pines? You're right it does give a false image if that's the case because I definitely bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is with people always talking about the "pine forests" of Georgia, when northern Georgia is primarily deciduous? Southern and east-central Georgia are primarily pine, but northern and western Georgia are primarily broadleaf deciduous. The Appalachian mountain area of Georgia are primarily deciduous, though white pine in a few locations.
Seems to me that you're saying in a roundabout way what that person was getting at. When he was saying, "Give me the pine forests and Appalachian mountains of Georgia," seems like he was giving the major geographic defining features of both south Georgia (pine forests) and north Georgia (Appalachian mountains). I think you just took it the wrong way.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Texas by a mile. GA has wide roads, but the interstate system is not very extensive. The 285 loop in Atlanta is rather small, IMO.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Why is this? I mean why pines? You're right it does give a false image if that's the case because I definitely bought it.
Wind Buffer. They do not lose their leaves in Autumn, so they provide a natural defense all year long.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
In South Georgia there certainly is a very great abundance of pines. This does not mean there are not plenty of other trees like Oaks, Magnolias, Crepe Myrtles, the list goes on. But you definitely get a feel you are driving through a pine forest through much of Georgia on I-75. But, then the early explorers of Georgia labeled most of the Southern half of Georgia as "pine barrens" on their maps so its no surprise.

Even driving through Metro Atlanta I think one reason so many visitors to the city from elsewhere will get on city data and say Atlanta is not as dense or is not as urban as this or that place is because of the perception they get from the tree line highways.

Just one examples is driving South on I-75 from the Cobb County line to the connection with I-85 feels like you are in a forest. If Atlanta had no tall tree coverage along the side of the Interstate and similar tree coverage (and similar flatness) to say Dallas or Denver, from that same stretch of highway you would be able to see the long Buckhead Skyline, the Downtown Skyline, many homes, apartments, office buildings, schools, shops etc. instead you see almost none of that.

You get much the same effect driving Ga 400 up through North Fulton-Alpharetta or I-85 from the airport to I-75 , much of I-20. Really on very many stretches of Interstate this is the case.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-27-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Texas has 80mph (or is it 85 now) freeway speed limits. Enough said.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Texas has 80mph (or is it 85 now) freeway speed limits. Enough said.
Thats how fast people in Atlanta drive even though the speed limit is 55.
I dont think people in Texas cities drive as fast, but there are a lot more cops on the roads in Texas with radar guns in hand. I dont recall ever seeing any cops in Atlanta giving out speeding tickets on the freeways other than that area in Cobb County at 75 & 285.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This is a great point. I always notice how nice the GA section of both 75 & 95 is compared to Florida's even when I'm traveling north. The difference is really noticed when you cross into SC on 95 and you feel like you've digressed 100 levels of interstate quality.
Florida's interstates are MUCH better signed and maintained than Georgia's. Georgia compared to South Carolina on the other hand, well, Georgia wins that one hands down.
As for Texas, their roads, IMO, are much better than Georgia's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I dont think people in Texas cities drive as fast, but there are a lot more cops on the roads in Texas with radar guns in hand. I dont recall ever seeing any cops in Atlanta giving out speeding tickets on the freeways other than that area in Cobb County at 75 & 285.
True. The average Atlanta driver will drive 80 with the posted limit at 55. As for cops giving out speeding tickets, you'll find this a lot in Clayton and Henry Counties on I-75.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Georgia compared to South Carolina on the other hand, well, Georgia wins that one hands down.
True. SCDOT does well when it comes to major projects, but needs to step it up when it comes to maintenance.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I know when I was on 75 from Chattanooga to Atlanta in early July, the police with the radar guns was all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City