Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Charlotte
Minneapolis 79 69.91%
Charlotte 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Why do Some specific posters like to boost Charlotte..even for categories that Minneapolis obviously wins in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why do Some specific posters like to boost Charlotte..even for categories that Minneapolis obviously wins in?
Insecurity..............

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Blackout you havent lived or visited Charlotte extensively since before 2000 so too much has changed that you have put on your blinders to see! Its funny how my neighbors from Minneapolis much prefer Charlotte! Oh and by the way Metzer stats dont lie Minneapolis is 80% white and Charlotte is less then 40% so whos really delusional.Every category is personal preference. For every amenity that Minneapolis has i can name one that Charlotte has that Minny doesnt and vice-versa. The sad part is that Charlottes numbers look better for a metro of 2 million compared to Minneapolis being a metro of 3.5 million. For example: charlottes Gdp is $110 billion for a metro of only 1.7 million while Minneapolis only has a Gdp of $180 billion for a metro of 3.5 million! If you do the math if Charlotte was Minneapolis size its Gdp would be over $220 billion! Or you can look at the fact that Charlotte ranks 6th in the country with 9 fortune 500(it will be 10 when the progress/ Duke merger happens) while Minneapolis(which is 2x Charlottes size) ranks 4th with 11! Only 2 more than lil ol Charlotte. Or the fact that Charlottes airport is busier! Or that Charlottes skyline is taller than Minneapolis yet its only half its size. See how this works??!! Or the fact that Bank of America destroys any company in Minneapolis!! Or the fact that Charlotte has a higher growth rate despite the economy!! LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Blackout you havent lived or visited Charlotte extensively since before 2000 so too much has changed that you have put on your blinders to see! Its funny how my neighbors from Minneapolis much prefer Charlotte! Oh and by the way Metzer stats dont lie Minneapolis is 80% white and Charlotte is less then 40% so whos really delusional.Every category is personal preference. For every amenity that Minneapolis has i can name one that Charlotte has that Minny doesnt and vice-versa. The sad part is that Charlottes numbers look better for a metro of 2 million compared to Minneapolis being a metro of 3.5 million. For example: charlottes Gdp is $110 billion for a metro of only 1.7 million while Minneapolis only has a Gdp of $180 billion for a metro of 3.5 million! If you do the math if Charlotte was Minneapolis size its Gdp would be over $220 billion! Or you can look at the fact that Charlotte ranks 6th in the country with 9 fortune 500(it will be 10 when the progress/ Duke merger happens) while Minneapolis(which is 2x Charlottes size) ranks 4th with 11! Only 2 more than lil ol Charlotte. Or the fact that Charlottes airport is busier! Or that Charlottes skyline is taller than Minneapolis yet its only half its size. See how this works??!! Or the fact that Bank of America destroys any company in Minneapolis!! Or the fact that Charlotte has a higher growth rate despite the economy!! LOL
You seem to be really stuck on this thing about people being Delusional...

Charlottes Airport is busier? Please post a link that backs this up.

NOBODY CARES about the bank of America.(by nobody, i mean,its really not that significant to many people).

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Metzer you sound like the big brother who just realized that his lil bro can now kick his a** if he really wanted too ! Lol!! I dont need to post links, you can use the internet at anytime to look it up!!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Metzer you sound like the big brother who just realized that his lil bro can now kick his a** if he really wanted too ! Lol!! I dont need to post links, you can use the internet at anytime to look it up!!
Haha..you wish. Your so oblivious to the rest of the world..like, get outta Charlotte. Make yourself useful and travel. Your first stop should be Minneapolis. its a bigger city that you think. Charlotte can't compare to every city. Same with Minneapolis. But you have to admit, Minneapolis wins in most categories.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Mezer im 31 year old. I have lived in 5 different cities(4 bigger than Minny), been to 32 different states, and 5 different countries. I think I have explored the world plenty....... Good night!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Mezer im 31 year old. I have lived in 5 different cities(4 bigger than Minny), been to 32 different states, and 5 different countries. I think I have explored the world plenty....... Good night!
You sure don't act like your 31...And you certaintly don't seem like you've been out of Charlotte. Just admit that Minneapolis has more to offer than Charlotte! Its not to bash Charlotte, but its just the truth.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 PM

252 posts, read 492,920 times
Being the city of Minneapolis is only 54.9 sq miles and the city of Charlotte is a whopping 297.7 sq. miles, I decided to make this more of an apples-to-apples comparison. First of all, Minneapolis would not only need its neighbor St. Paul to reach 297.7 sq. miles, but also 29 of their surrounding suburbs (inner and second-ring) . A Charlotte-sized Minneapolis would have a population of 1,231,417 whereas Charlotte has 731,424 (2010 Census).

As far as diversity goes, here is a breakdown of each city (source: 2010 Census)

Minneapolis (super sized to 297.6 sq. miles):
Black or African American alone: 175,793
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 107,734
Asian alone: 104,358
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 13,701
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone: 628
Some Other Race alone: 52,559
Two or More Races: 46,737

Charlotte (at 297.7 sq. miles)
Black or African American alone: 256,241
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 95,688
Asian alone: 36,403
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 3,483
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone: 581
Some Other Race alone: 49,928
Two or More Races: 19,404

As one can see, Minneapolis is a bit more diverse.

Last edited by Unity77; 09-20-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Blackout you havent lived or visited Charlotte extensively since before 2000 so too much has changed that you have put on your blinders to see!
Not true, but I will let you assume whatever you want.

Quote:
Its funny how my neighbors from Minneapolis much prefer Charlotte! Oh and by the way Metzer stats dont lie Minneapolis is 80% white and Charlotte is less then 40% so whos really delusional.
Why is funny that a vast majority prefer Minneapolis? It's a cooler city with a lot more to offer.

BTW, according to the 2010 Census, the white alone population for the city of Minneapolis is 60.3% whereas Charlotte is at 45.1%. Make the land size comparable as Unity77 did above and Minneapolis is bigger and much more diverse.

Quote:
Every category is personal preference. For every amenity that Minneapolis has i can name one that Charlotte has that Minny doesnt and vice-versa.
What categories are about personal preference?

Outside NASCAR and the NASCAR HOF, please name the amenities Charlotte has over Minneapolis.

Quote:
The sad part is that Charlottes numbers look better for a metro of 2 million compared to Minneapolis being a metro of 3.5 million. For example: charlottes Gdp is $110 billion for a metro of only 1.7 million while Minneapolis only has a Gdp of $180 billion for a metro of 3.5 million!
Obviously you haven't seen the latest numbers.
GDP by Metropolitan Area (SEPTEMBER 13, 2011)
Minneapolis area: $199,596 B
Charlotte area: $113,568 B

The GDP for the Minneapolis area has increased over $8 billion from the previous year whereas Charlotte's has increased by $3.7, which isn't very impressive. Also, do you want to know what is really sad? The GDP of Minneapolis is much larger than Charlotte's and Raleigh's combined. Ouch.

BTW, the Minneapolis metro area is 3,279,833 and Charlotte's 1,758,038.

Quote:
Or you can look at the fact that Charlotte ranks 6th in the country with 9 fortune 500(it will be 10 when the progress/ Duke merger happens) while Minneapolis(which is 2x Charlottes size) ranks 4th with 11!
What are you talking about? As of the 2011 Fortune 500 list, the Minneapolis MSA had 19 Fortune 500 companies, which placed it in the top ten metro areas. The Charlotte MSA, on the other hand had 10, which is also pretty impressive.

BTW, Duke is already a Fortune 500 company so, once the merger with Progress is complete, the Charlotte area will still have... 10 Fortune 500 companies. Amazing isn't it?

Quote:
Or the fact that Charlottes airport is busier! Or that Charlottes skyline is taller than Minneapolis yet its only half its size.
You do realize that the city of Minneapolis is only 382,578 and Charlotte is 731,424 (2010 Census), right? I also assume you know there is another downtown area 10 miles from downtown MPLS in St. Paul. Whatever the case, the Minneapolis downtown area is twice the size as Charlotte's and its skyline is a bit larger, more aesthetically pleasing, and yes, taller than Charlotte's.

BTW, airport statistics can change drastically year to year so, I don't know why it's a big deal for you.

Quote:
Or the fact that Bank of America destroys any company in Minneapolis!!
Ever heard of Cargill or 3M? How about the 18 other Fortune 500 companies within the Minneapolis area, including US Bancorp, which will be around longer than Bank of America?

Last edited by BlackOut; 09-20-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City