Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Houston 22 6.04%
Austin 25 6.87%
Dallas 18 4.95%
New Orleans 144 39.56%
Memphis 6 1.65%
Nashville 22 6.04%
Atlanta 117 32.14%
Orlando 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 31,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Depends. Both cities are much more diversified than Nashville's so if you're Black, Latino, Gay, Korean, etc., you'll find way more options. It also can depend on the type of music you're into. Nashville without question dominates when it comes to country music, but falls flat in comparison to Dallas or Houston in just about any other music category (e.g. EDM/Metal stronger in Dallas & R&B/Hip Hop stronger in Houston). Club scene is also better in both cities than in Nashville's. Neither has a touristy area like Broadway, but Dallas's Deep Ellum would be the closest equivalent in terms of a very condensed bar district with a lot of foot traffic & live music.

I guess you can describe the nightlife scenes in Dallas & Houston as "jack of all trades, master at none." But if you're someone that likes a lot of variety, they're both better choices than Nashville. Nashville has a very specific niche vibe to it, which is great if you fall into that category. Just my $0.02.

I think this is well stated DTX. This truth was stated on a Nashville development forum and the push back was so strong. Some will say Nashville's country bars have multiple floors and some areas/floors provide different genres outside of country music. In the big picture Nashville mainly does one thing.. but Nashville does that one thing pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
you might as well should have called this, "which city in the south has the best night life? austin or new orleans?"

i've never been to new orleans... but i doubt austin can hold a candle to new orleans night life. i'd say if you were including miami... it would certainly be new orleans and miami all the way. and then austin. but then again... i dunno, people seem high up on atlanta and even some would suggest houston or dallas.
I don't know about that. That would be an interesting poll.

Austin has 4 entertainment districts in the downtown area alone. 6th Street, 4th Street, 2nd Street and Rainey Street. There may be more bars and music venues on 6th Street than Bourbon Street. The line of bars on 6th Street stretches about 9 blocks from I-35 to Lavaca Street.

Word on the street is there are more bars in the DT Austin zip code than any other zip code in the country.

Other than Bourbon Street does New Orleans have any other entertainment districts?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:37 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onxyknight85 View Post
I think this is well stated DTX. This truth was stated on a Nashville development forum and the push back was so strong. Some will say Nashville's country bars have multiple floors and some areas/floors provide different genres outside of country music. In the big picture Nashville mainly does one thing.. but Nashville does that one thing pretty well.
The other genres represented in Nashville are definitely overshadowed by country or what most call country pop (Florida Georgia Line, Carrie Underwood etc.). What most don't realize is Nashville's growing EDM and Afro Punk scenes. Chill music is also growing too. The outdated stereotype of Nashville being all country is played out. There are numerous upscale lounges scattered in the Gulch, Hillsboro Village, 12 south districts. Alternative and Indies have representation in East Nashville particularly. Visiting East Nashville and the Gulch are far different experiences from the Broadway/2nd Avenue crowds, and greatly suggested if you are not into country.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:09 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The other genres represented in Nashville are definitely overshadowed by country or what most call country pop (Florida Georgia Line, Carrie Underwood etc.). What most don't realize is Nashville's growing EDM and Afro Punk scenes. Chill music is also growing too. The outdated stereotype of Nashville being all country is played out. There are numerous upscale lounges scattered in the Gulch, Hillsboro Village, 12 south districts. Alternative and Indies have representation in East Nashville particularly. Visiting East Nashville and the Gulch are far different experiences from the Broadway/2nd Avenue crowds, and greatly suggested if you are not into country.
That doesn't justify the thought that Nashville has better nightlife than cities 2 and 3 times the size of Nashville.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:28 PM

126 posts, read 142,844 times
I like how everyone not from Nashville is replying about Nashville as if they have a clue.

If you don't know, you don't know.

I also notice that no one provides any metrics for their notions.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That doesn't justify the thought that Nashville has better nightlife than cities 2 and 3 times the size of Nashville.

You're really hung up on this population nonsense. Nashville doesn't care about population. That's why Nashville is able to accomplish the things that Nashville does. Nashville is smoking them. Pure D reality.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 10-24-2018 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
. Nashville is smoking them
Who is them? What metric are you using?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:44 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
You're really hung up on this population nonsense. Nashville doesn't care about population. That's why Nashville is able to accomplish the things that Nashville does. Nashville is smoking them. Pure D reality.
This is one of those things where I think Miami is SEVERELY overrated.

South Beach is nice and all, but unless you're hunting for some overpriced spot with a bunch of plastic bimbos and thirsty grown men in rented Bentleys hoping to pass off as or get noticed by celebrities, the only thing it gets a nod for from me is the late last calls. But honestly, I'm not looking to be out drinking past 2AM anyway.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:46 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Which cities are Nashville actually smoking and why?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 PM

We
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Who is them? What metric are you using?
The cities on that list with the exception of Orlando who maybe can match Nashville's visitor enthusiasm.

The metric is all of the people choosing to come to Nashville for their birthdays, wedding anniversaries, bachelor parties, shows, etc. And they ain't selecting Nashville because of a lack of nightlife.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 10-24-2018 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City