Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Second, to be fair, I would wager that half of those threads were started by the same idiot. I think he started that 9/11 thread too.
You mean Pollster?
He starts half of them and the other half he rehashes with his new name, quotes his old posts and says, "I agree" and it re-starts from there. He's truly something else..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
California dreamin.....

Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM

100 posts, read 189,457 times
More Self tooken Picture of California directly from my album. :

Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 AM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
First of all Scandinavia is an entire region of Europe comprised of several countries and NYC is just a single city in New York State US of A. Kind of hard to compare., you know?
Second of all if you think that having clear air to breathe and closeness to nature is more important than access to high paying jobs then I am surprised most of African countries dont make the list since closeness to nature and clean air is so abundant there
Finally if you think Scandinavia is all about closeness to nature and clean air then you really have to visit this countries.

PS. Describing Buffalo as very nice? That's funny.
Well, he could have been referring to the cities in scandinavian countries (but he just as well might not have since NYC has a population larger than all but one of the Scandinavian countries).

He also didn't say that's all that matters--that's your imposition on his statement. You also rebutted it with a false analogy to Africa as many major and minor African cities suffer from terrible pollution issues due to lack of sewage infrastructure, unregulated environmental pollution, and eager companies from places such as the US of A who try to extract/refine/dump with relative impunity.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM

56 posts, read 38,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm pretty sure primary residence is what's listed, nobettername. And it kind of makes sense ..... if quality of life is the only issue, people would choose California, right? Same amenities, but vastly better climate and more relaxed lifestyle. I can't think of anything New York is better at .... maybe Broadway musicals? I guess that would work for gay billionaires ..... then there are some really good hot dog stands and pizza.
Not even close. Unlike LA, New York City is usually considered the world's top city. The access to top quality culture, art, dining is unaparalled in the US. LA does not offer "same amenities". Not even close.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM

84 posts, read 94,436 times
Nothing but the truth here.

Quote:
Not even close. Unlike LA, New York City is usually considered the world's top city. The access to top quality culture, art, dining is unaparalled in the US. LA does not offer "same amenities". Not even close.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, he could have been referring to the cities in scandinavian countries (but he just as well might not have since NYC has a population larger than all but one of the Scandinavian countries).

He also didn't say that's all that matters--that's your imposition on his statement. You also rebutted it with a false analogy to Africa as many major and minor African cities suffer from terrible pollution issues due to lack of sewage infrastructure, unregulated environmental pollution, and eager companies from places such as the US of A who try to extract/refine/dump with relative impunity.
I was referring to a post by someone who thinks that Scandinavia is listed as one of the top places to live (QOL) not because of the fact that these countries offers some of the top salaries and can afford some of the most generous social security systems in the world but because their "closeness to nature". That's reality: Scandinavia is very rich.

My point was that QOL for most people means access to high paying jobs: what good is natural scenery when you are hungry? What good is closeness to nature if you are unemployed or the only employment options are $10/hr seasonal jobs in restaurants (have you ever seen the town of Lake George in the winter?)

Secondary quality of life factors are: public safety and access to high quality art, entertainment, education and medical care.

Again, outside of New York City there are not that many places in the US where you can find all of the above in 25 miles radius.

I have no idea why did you find it necessary to reply to my post directed to someone else, especially since your post does not bring anything new to the discussion.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ™WestCoast Reppin™ View Post

Nice pictures. This is exactly what I would look for when going on vacation.
For day to day life I prefer real urbanity with all its perks.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Nice pictures. This is exactly what I would look for when going on vacation.
For day to day life I prefer real urbanity with all its perks.

Thats fine, nothing wrong with that.
What city do you live in? Bos, Phi, NY or DC....
Or you could have all that and real urbanity in SF or LA

Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by â„¢WestCoast Reppinâ„¢ View Post
Its Amazing how Similar that looks to New Hampshire/Cape Ann
(N. MA peninsula), But it is stunning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City