Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 AM

56 posts, read 38,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1 The ghettos of London are Paris are quite ugly compared to South Central.

2 NYs slum areas are worlds worse looking that LAs. I dont even know why we're comparing that?

3 Los Angeles is a worldwide mecca of culture and entertainment--period. If a person cant find something to do in LA that they enjoy, then that is a boring person.
Because LA is statistically much more dangerous than NYC and these stats included the ghettos. Check the stats on FBI's website. Also, because NYC is on not a scene of constant gang wars.

LA is not a cultural mecca of the world. It has a top tier movie making business but its theater life pales in comparison with NYC's. LA's publishing, books, periodicals, pales in comparison with NYC's. LA's performing arts pale in comparison with NYC. I have no idea how you come up with the cultural Mecca statetment???

The whole "something to do to enjoy" statement is outright infantile. You can say that about almost any place in the world: there is always something to do. We are talking about access to top notch culture where New York City is usually ranked as the best, richest cultural experience in the world, i.e. higher than LA. You want me to quote those academia backed rankings for you or can you google then by yourself???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 AM

56 posts, read 38,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. isn't just some random city, to even somewhat equate it to Cleveland is insane. It's one of only three mega-cities in North America, home to 18 million people. It's also the centre for film, television, and arguably music, as well as a top 5 fashion center. It's the largest manufacturing center in the US with the busiest port in the Westen Hemisphere. It also has the type of natural scenery most urban centers would envy, NYC definitely offers far less there.

Read the first post. The author goes a little overboard in spots, but just look at the quantity of cultural offerings in L.A. No
city offers 'far more' than L.A., if at all.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...century-2.html
Jeez, what a homer. Bud, you claim LA is a king in movies and TV but what about performing arts, theater, publishing, art galleries? New York beats LA in any cultural aspect outside of film and TV soap operas. Serious TV like news and quality TV productions are filmed in NYC by NYC studios.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
Because LA is statistically much more dangerous than NYC and these stats included the ghettos. Check the stats on FBI's website. Also, because NYC is on not a scene of constant gang wars.
No, but Bernie Madoff by himself hurt way more people around the world than anything some two-bit gang of kids in LA ever could.

Furthermore, its incredibly dense to think that crime is everywhere in Los Angeles as just like New York, some areas are great, and others not so much.

Quote:
LA is not a cultural mecca of the world.
Dont be absurd. Los Angeles is a cultural mecca on the highest order with excellent museums, a vibrant arts scene, a nearly unparalleled music scene etc.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
The whole "something to do to enjoy" statement is outright infantile.
Infantile is throwing a huge blanket of stereotypes and generalizations over a vast megalopolis of 18 Million people.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Not even close. Unlike LA, New York City is usually considered the world's top city. The access to top quality culture, art, dining is unaparalled in the US. LA does not offer "same amenities". Not even close.
This isn't LA vs NYC though. And California clearly wins as a state. NY has the greater city though.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. isn't just some random city, to even somewhat equate it to Cleveland is insane. It's one of only three mega-cities in North America, home to 18 million people. It's also the centre for film, television, and arguably music, as well as a top 5 fashion center. It's the largest manufacturing center in the US with the busiest port in the Westen Hemisphere. It also has the type of natural scenery most urban centers would envy, NYC definitely offers far less there.

Read the first post. The author goes a little overboard in spots, but just look at the quantity of cultural offerings in L.A. No
city offers 'far more' than L.A., if at all.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...century-2.html
I wasn't trying to equate LA with Cleveland I was using the example of a city that most would think sucks like Cleveland to basically having the same amenities as a great city like Chicago, so therefor of course a city like LA which is a great city would have the same amenities as NYC. But LA isn't a top 5 fashion center the top 5 are NYC, London, Paris, Milan, Tokyo, and the LA so it falls right outside the top 5. I agree with your statement about natural scenery.

But I completely disagree with that guys post with LA being the cultural capital of the world for the 21st century when Broadway is still the top theater in the country, only D.C. has museums that rank as high as NY in the country, NYC has more top rated restaurants, it is the fashion capital of the western hemisphere still. Publication and media NYC is still the king, and NYC art scene and culture is still the biggest and best in the world.

LA is still king of film and TV, but NYC is still does well there as well as is the capital of indie/alternative films and music.

As far as cultural capitals of the world LA is still behind NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, and DC. What that guy wrote in his post is nothing surprising of course I know LA would offer these things I don't deny it's a world class city I just know that NYC is the cultural capital of the world. I'm sure you can write a similar post for Chicago and DC as well anyway.

Not to mention the guys acts as if NYC cultural presence or NYC as a whole is declining or something this past decade NYC has became so much better and continuing to go upward no American is gonna catch up in our lifetime.

But like I said i think your state California is better than mine NY state, but I really don't think any city is as good as NYC.

Last edited by joshd9124; 11-25-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 11-25-2011, 05:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That's exactly what I said and thats exactly what you listed. NYC + a couple of other major metros. The rest are vacation spots for people from those major metros (Lake Placid, Finger Lakes, Niagara, Catskills) or state parks. The rest is pretty much hillbilly land and random military towns. The cities you listed do not take up much of the NYS land area at all.
Don't know much about the state you live in, do you? Are you a transplant?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
What does fashion have to do with quality of life? Any fashionable item from any city around the world is available to buy anywhere else. Business workers dress more sharply in NY, while ordinary people off work dress more attractively in LA (too fashion conscious for my taste). Likewise, publishers don't have much to do with quality of life, though you could argue that the presence of great writers does.

Again, nobody goes to Broadway musicals except a few social climbers who want to impress people, and some others I mentioned above. It doesn't have much to do with quality of life for most people. And as noted by others, great plays are found all around the world - whether some are better than others is a matter of personal preference. LA has at least as many, but more spread out while most of NYC has them concentrated in downtown Manhattan.

The California art scene is more vibrant and interesting than the New York State art establishment.

Getting away from snob appeal, there's no doubt that California has more family and kid oriented entertainment and things to do. Quality of life isn't just for rich people and social climbers.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What does fashion have to do with quality of life? Any fashionable item from any city around the world is available to buy anywhere else. Business workers dress more sharply in NY, while ordinary people off work dress more attractively in LA (too fashion conscious for my taste). Likewise, publishers don't have much to do with quality of life, though you could argue that the presence of great writers does.

Again, nobody goes to Broadway musicals except a few social climbers who want to impress people, and some others I mentioned above. It doesn't have much to do with quality of life for most people. And as noted by others, great plays are found all around the world - whether some are better than others is a matter of personal preference. LA has at least as many, but more spread out while most of NYC has them concentrated in downtown Manhattan.

The California art scene is more vibrant and interesting than the New York State art establishment.

Getting away from snob appeal, there's no doubt that California has more family and kid oriented entertainment and things to do. Quality of life isn't just for rich people and social climbers.
I think you've just made the argument that most of the US's large cities and many medium ones are abundant in the quality of life department! And you've underscored the very limited worth of a poll like this!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Probably to a large extent, Ben Around ..... but a few large and medium sized cities really do have poor quality of life. Let me think ..... by reputation Detroit, Mobile AL, perhaps Buffalo NY, Bakersfield CA, Redding CA, etc though I haven't lived in those. And there are some fantastic places too like San Francisco, if you can afford those cities.

I guess for me crime rate, access to natural wonders, and even a humid, hot, or excessively rainy climate can make a huge difference. To a small extent architecture makes a difference, being able to wander around and see very colorful, unique, or old but well-maintained buildings.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 PM

305 posts, read 771,231 times
Quote:
Jeez, what a homer. Bud, you claim LA is a king in movies and TV but what about performing arts, theater, publishing, art galleries? New York beats LA in any cultural aspect outside of film and TV soap operas. Serious TV like news and quality TV productions are filmed in NYC by NYC studios.
LOLOLOLOLOL.

http://www.wmagazine.com/artdesign/2...#ixzz0uZ1adXJs

Art galleries in Los Angeles deconstruct snobby stereotypes *|*Daily Trojan

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/ar...p.html?_r=3&hp

'How Los Angeles Invented the World' with Wim Wenders, William Friedkin and Others: Is L.A. in a Cultural Adolescence? - Los Angeles Art - Style Council

L.A. museums: Borislav Stanic's 'Museum Companion to Los Angeles' aims wide - Los Angeles Times

A flurry of theater festivals hit L.A. area in June - Los Angeles Times

If L.A. is like this right now, then imagine where L.A. will be 25 years in the art world. It's an exciting time to be in L.A. right now because this city is 'maturing'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City