Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:46 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the huge rep. who called my post.liar,liar pants on fire. Here is to warm winter sunshine ,here is to coastal succulents, here is to surfing, here is to Coastal Southern California. Offended someone? Actually my post was seriously tame compared to the old days of battling NY VS. Southern Cal. ect... not my fight anymore. Anyone who enjoys their East Coast urban lifestyle, God Bless.. I'm just saying waking up in LB OR NB during the winter months doesn't exactly suck. {Yes, I'll have another beer.}

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-13-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
How can anyone say New York is better than California for quality of life? The only things New York are better at is pizza and the season of autumn.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
To play devil's advocate, is there anywhere in California that mimics the urban lifestyle of NYC?
Nope. California has its own distinct urban lifestyles, mostly coastal and outdoorsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
It depends. The metros along the coast of California like L.A., San Diego, San Fran, etc. can compete with the NYC area in terms of QoL. But I don't see how the areas in California's Central Valley offer a better QoL than Upstate NY. The weather might be better and the scenery might be neck and neck, but things like jobs, schools, development, crime and poverty seem to be way worse in the California Central Valley areas.
Well the Central Valley is a massive agricultural region home to about 1/7 of Californians, which includes the population of Sacramento, Fresno, and Chico, who are very different demographically than the rural population.

Population in the coastal parts of California is about 29 million, or roughly 3/4 of the State. Quality of life here varies, certainly, but tends to be pretty good. Cost of living is a problem (shared with NYC, no doubt), but temperate weather, natural beauty, food, ocean, wine, and culture tend to help. California has a reputation for being more of a "work to live" place than a "live to work" one. There is probably some truth to that.

NYC has about half of NY state's population, and due to its placement, it's metro area has about the same population as the State of New York. New York is great, in its way. So is California. Quality of life between them is certainly a matter of preference--I'll take California every day.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
How can anyone say New York is better than California for quality of life? The only things New York are better at is pizza and the season of autumn.
Yeah, and I can even get a better slice at Tony's in North Beach, and enjoy a beautiful, clear 78-degree October day in SF, or head up to Wine Country for harvest in the 80s, with orange, red, and yellow vines covering the hillsides.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM

I didn't know the vines changed color in the fall!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I didn't know the vines changed color in the fall!
Seriously? You've never been to Wine Country in the Fall? It's the best time to go (also the worst, because of all the tourists). That's harvest time and there are festivals all around. It's still warm in the afternoons-often in the 80s-and cool in the evenings.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10....0.zTDbn52sbQs

Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM

No, I've only gone through there a coupla times on a bus, and not during the autumn. If I ever go traveling again, it'll be on my list!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
It depends. The metros along the coast of California like L.A., San Diego, San Fran, etc. can compete with the NYC area in terms of QoL. But I don't see how the areas in California's Central Valley offer a better QoL than Upstate NY. The weather might be better and the scenery might be neck and neck, but things like jobs, schools, development, crime and poverty seem to be way worse in the California Central Valley areas.
FWIW, Sacramento, which is located in California's Central Valley, is about 10x better than Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse--combined.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
FWIW, Sacramento, which is located in California's Central Valley, is about 10x better than Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse--combined.
What's the difference between Sacramento and somewhere like Bakersfield, Fresno, and Stockton?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
What's the difference between Sacramento and somewhere like Bakersfield, Fresno, and Stockton?
In my opinion, Sacramento is a more complete-package city, with a lot more urban charm than those other cities. I admit I have more experience with Sacto than with Bakersfield or Stockton (and I have none with Fresno), though, so I may be mistaken and going simply on superficial impressions.

I think Sacramento has some interesting districts, good restaurants, a fairly vibrant downtown/Midtown area, a fairly good economy, and is better located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City