Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM

313 posts, read 354,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why compare California to New York State? 90% of NYS territory outside of downstate and a couple of other cities is mostly rural and is populated by hillbillies, Indian reservations, and state parks.

Also, upstate provides a counter balance to the city. Some of the most underrated scenery in the country.

Ive even had better Italian upstate than anywhere in the city, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
NYC has a better quality of life than all of California.

California has a better quality of life than NY as a whole for right now.

However, California needs to address its illegal immigration problems (it's bankrupting the state as we can see), and NY has a lot of old wealth established in its state that won't be leaving any time soon.

So NY is in a better position economically.
Actually, the budget issues have less to do with illegals than they do with what many argue are overly-generous pensions for state and city employees. I'm not going to weigh in with an opinion on that, honestly, but will say that, for example, San Francisco's MUNI public transit system employs a team of people (6, iirc) to randomly plop down at a bus stop and mark on a sheet paper whether the buses are coming on time. These people make just shy of $50k per year with full benefits, pension, etc.

At the same time that they are doing this, all of the MUNI fleet is monitored via GPS to ensure that they are on time. You can call 311 in SF, 25/7, and find out when the next bus will come to your stop based off of GPS readings, and many stops also have an LED sign that gives the time for the next bus based on GPS as well.

Why spend $250k+ per year to employ a team of people to do what is already being done?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Actually, the budget issues have less to do with illegals than they do with what many argue are overly-generous pensions for state and city employees. I'm not going to weigh in with an opinion on that, honestly, but will say that, for example, San Francisco's MUNI public transit system employs a team of people (6, iirc) to randomly plop down at a bus stop and mark on a sheet paper whether the buses are coming on time. These people make just shy of $50k per year with full benefits, pension, etc.

At the same time that they are doing this, all of the MUNI fleet is monitored via GPS to ensure that they are on time. You can call 311 in SF, 25/7, and find out when the next bus will come to your stop based off of GPS readings, and many stops also have an LED sign that gives the time for the next bus based on GPS as well.

Why spend $250k+ per year to employ a team of people to do what is already being done?
Pensions are killing cities and states everywhere, it's not just California. But I can see how it would be worse in California. I understand just in the past month, 3 California cities have filed for bankruptcy.

Detroit's pension obligation have finally come home to roost as well. Now I must accept ****tier services as a taxpayer to pay the retiree's pensions, because it's too much like right to simply dump the debt in a Chapter 9 bankruptcy.

This is all due to the structural recession we're in. Everyone's tax base has been obliterated.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
NY anyday...

the rest of the country outside the northeast moves to cali

fine w/ me

Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
Quality of life please define that meaning bro L.A alone is competition for New york city they both always battle it out for number 1 & number 2 in america and the world so how can new york compare to california with just one city as it's stronghold quality of life means what can be done and how much is there to do
Plus the scenery and different people beaches palm trees 3 world class cities nice weather theme parks mountains ski resorts deserts I can keep going so new york or no other city or place in the world can compare to cali hands down vegas is better to be next to than jersey plus cali got catalina island off the coast of los angeles
Northeast as a whole can't compare to cali lmao close thread before they close the polls lol

Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Everyone has their own preferences....
New York State is good if you enjoy deciduous forests, lakes, a more Old World/provincial culture (with older architecture), and a real winter.
California is good if you enjoy a Mediterranean climate, good food, a more liberal/laid-back culture, and variety of landscapes (Redwoods, mountains, desert, coastline, etc).

Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
New York State is good if you enjoy deciduous forests, lakes, a more Old World/provincial culture (with older architecture), and a real winter.
California is good if you enjoy a Mediterranean climate, good food, a more liberal/laid-back culture, and variety of landscapes (Redwoods, mountains, desert, coastline, etc).
I wouldn't necessarily call NY outside of the NYC area necessarily fast paced and it is probably more live and let live than people realize as well. Food and having good variety of it isn't an issue here either.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM

313 posts, read 354,570 times
Quote:

Upstate cities are very liberal, and theres a ton of hippies in rural areas. Dont forget about Vermont. New England is close. I think Upstate NY is more like that outside the cities. At least the Eastern part.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Bingo!

Yup, its totally a matter of opinion. Personally, I see California as better with its natural scenic features while I find New York's human element more interesting. In fact, I am wondering what you mean by "Old World/provincial culture "?

Of course California also has great cities, which combined with the huge amount of nature; the long coastline, numerous mountain ranges, unique forests etc. makes California tops here in the United States. However, I do not agree with the poster who thinks this makes California (or New York for that matter) have a higher quality of life than anywhere in the world. We have too many problems in this country nowdays.

Btw, I think New York has good food too!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Upstate cities are very liberal, and theres a ton of hippies in rural areas. Dont forget about Vermont. New England is close. I think Upstate NY is more like that outside the cities. At least the Eastern part.
Shoot! I dare say that the most liberal city in NY State is Ithaca. So, we can run the gamut in terms of social styles in Upstate NY alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City