Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Higher quality of life?
California 50 58.14%
New York 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM

13 posts, read 17,695 times

Advertisements

Texas offers a better QoL than both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This was basically my point about NY State. It is more than just NYC.

Like others have mentioned, California pretty much takes up half of the West coast, if not more and is 3rd in land size versus NY State, which is 30th in land size.
NY State is definitely more than NYC, and I don't discount the impressive scenery there. The places listed, though, are a long journey from NYC, which has a very large percentage of the State's population. In terms of quality of life, I think those places are less important to the ~50% of the State that lives in NYC than the places I listed in California, which (except for Yosemite and far northern California) are less than 1.5 hours (in some cases just minutes) from California's population centers.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
NY State is definitely more than NYC, and I don't discount the impressive scenery there. The places listed, though, are a long journey from NYC, which has a very large percentage of the State's population. In terms of quality of life, I think those places are less important to the ~50% of the State that lives in NYC than the places I listed in California, which (except for Yosemite and far northern California) are less than 1.5 hours (in some cases just minutes) from California's population centers.
Well, not if you live in a population center in Upstate NY. Keep in mind that the 4 major Upstate NY metros are still well within the top 100 biggest metro by population and Upstate by itself would still be about 12-13 in population if it was its own state currently. So, there are other things north of NYC too. For instance, look at where the Upstate NY metros are located on this list: The Business Journals' brainpower rankings for 102 major markets - The Business Journals

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
I would rank the overall quality of life of the ten largest states in this order:

1. California
2. Florida
3. North Carolina
4. Georgia
5. Texas
6. New York
7. Illinois
8. Pennsylvania
9. Ohio
10. Michigan

Old 08-20-2015, 11:54 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times
Another great thread that im late responding too .

But umm North Carolina over Texas smh

Old 10-04-2015, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 981 times
Hi guys, I am REALLY looking for serious answers and serious advice on this topic right now.

I'm Australian and my husband Josh is a Californian native, and we are trying to decide whether to stay in San Diego or move to New York City to launch my business in America.

Let me tell you the pros and cons we see so far

Advantages of San Diego / Southern California
A 5 hour drive to Vegas which is fantastic for wedding photography as it's the wedding capitol of the world
We can drive to Vegas for a short holiday, we can also drive to LA
Close to Beverly Hills
Great whether all around
People are friendly
Affordable Housing
Easier to save for retirement as cost of living is lower...
Parking readily available
Easy to drive everywhere
Close to Creative Live
I already have friends here and a network of people

Advantages of New York
Better culture
More galleries
Art galleries
Subway
things to do at midnight
Central Park
Plenty of shade and parks (that california lacks)
plenty of seasons (that California lacks)
Vintage and Designer fashion and furniture is appreciated (California not so much)
High population density and wider culture
Autumn and red leaves are nice
LOTS Of free amazing stuff to do 24 hours a day
LOTS Of coffee places to go to

I don't want to set up business in California only to decide that we are going to move to NYC. I would love as much advice and thoughts as possible.....

Old 10-07-2015, 12:30 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
California

Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Even though I'd say the West overall has a lower standard of living than the East, California probably has a higher standard of living than New York State. In New York State you have overpriced NYC and then the economically depressed Upstate. California is expensive pretty much everywhere but the wages somewhat make up for it.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:32 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I would rank the overall quality of life of the ten largest states in this order:

1. California
2. Florida
3. North Carolina
4. Georgia
5. Texas
6. New York
7. Illinois
8. Pennsylvania
9. Ohio
10. Michigan

Do people actually believe that NC and Georgia have a higher QOL than PA and Ohio? Most media organizations use OECD's Wellness Scale when measuring QOL:

OECD Regional Well-Being (The map tool has got way better since the last time I looked at this)

Education, Income, Health, Environment, Safety, Jobs, Housing, Access to Services, and Civic Engagement are the nine factors.
(bolded the higher score)

New York Vs. California

NYS
Edu: 8.7
Income:10
Health: 7.5
Environment: 5.7
Safety: 4.3
Jobs: 6.3
Housing: 7.4
Access to Services:7.2
Civic Engagement:3.6

California
Edu: 8.1
Health: 7.8
Environment: 7.9
Safety: 2.9
Jobs: 5.4
Housing: 5.6
Access to Services:6.9
Civic Engagement: 3.4

Just for fun... PA vs. GA

PA
Edu: 9.2
Health: 5.3
Environment: 5.7
Safety: 2.3
Jobs: 7.1
Housing: 10
Access to Services:7.1
Civic Engagement:4.2

GA
Edu: 8.5
Income: 8.1
Health: 3.7
Environment: 7.1
Safety: 1.4
Jobs: 5.9
Housing: 9.1
Access to Services:6.8
Civic Engagement: 4.3

Almost across the board, the north is healthier, wealthier (obviously COL comes into play, but you pay for what you get in my opinion), better educated, safer, and has better access to social services compared to the south.. New England and the PNW lead the way in terms of overall regions with the highest QOL

Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Do people actually believe that NC and Georgia have a higher QOL than PA and Ohio?
A lot of people here are confusing QOL and COL, I don't know why. Obviously the small expensive northern states have higher QOL. Generally in a northern hemisphere the more you go towards the equator, the lower your QOL is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City