Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It's really a catch 22. It's the most important city in the world really, but it's a planned city that posses no power. It is artificail in a sense. London and Paris are too though. 1,000 years ago, if they were not built where they stand by France and England, they wouldnt exist either. DC is controlled and enslaved by the US government unlike Paris and London. If people don't like the setup in America, free DC. Free DC! Free DC! Free DC! Free DC! In my protestor voice.....
Yeah maybe make the central govt core independant and add the remainder of DC to MD; Alexandria was already split off to VA

Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah maybe make the central govt core independant and add the remainder of DC to MD; Alexandria was already split off to VA
Or maybe have no government at all at the federal, state, and city level. I'm sure that is what many people on this forum would prefer. How this country would get anything done or survive for that matter beats me. Maybe they can come up with some creative plan to exist without a government. Any suggestions kidphilly?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
It's really a catch 22. It's the most important city in the world really, but it's a planned city that posses no power. It is artificail in a sense. London and Paris are too though. 1,000 years ago, if they were not built where they stand by France and England, they wouldnt exist either. DC is controlled and enslaved by the US government unlike Paris and London. If people don't like the setup in America, free DC. Free DC! Free DC! Free DC! Free DC! In my protestor voice.....
Its artifical but only powerful because the US gov is there. Any power DC has comes from we the people not from DC for its own sake. Pull the capital out of it and let it go free, I agree with that. Relo the capital to Austin Tx.<G> More the center of the US

Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Or maybe have no government at all at the federal, state, and city level. I'm sure that is what many people on this forum would prefer. How this country would get anything done or survive for that matter beats me. Maybe they can come up with some creative plan to exist without a government. Any suggestions kidphilly?
Centralized Gov't is not the problem IMHO; it is the huge growth over the last 10 years that is IMHO

You consistently confuse my viewpoint and the benefits to DC are what they are; however unsustainable in growth rate; they will change though which you seem to not believe

Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Centralized Gov't is not the problem IMHO; it is the huge growth over the last 10 years that is IMHO

You consistently confuse my viewpoint and the benefits to DC are what they are; however unsustainable in growth rate; they will change though which you seem to not believe
I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the cowboy from Texas that probably supports the notion of Texas succeeding from the union.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-31-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
DC is definitely not Paris and London. Your senators and House Representatives have made sure the last 300 years DC didn't become anything like Paris, London, or Tokyo. The US government has purposely designed DC to never be those cities. Why do you think they preferred business other than government not be centralized in DC like almost every other country in the world does. This was the country's doing. This is what the nation wanted.
Slow your jets... DC is BARELY over 200 years old, hardly time to start rounding up to 300 haha.

Though I do agree that johnhw's argument is absurd. I am so tired of these "what if" arguments, of all the different types of discussions that can be had here on cd they are by far the least intellectual; based entirely in speculation.

If DC wasn't the capital it would be nothing, my money pays for dc, blah blah blah, enough! D.C. is in a great location on the Potomac, maybe if D.C. isn't selected as the location of the capital Georgetown grows unhindered and becomes the largest city in America!

Sound ridiculous? Well that's because it is ridiculous just as any wild speculation on what DC would be if it weren't the capital is inherently ridiculous as well.

Let's operate in reality here people. DC is the capital of the united states. This has undoubtedly shaped and affected the city today and the city as it exists today is easily one of the best in the country. No asterisk needed.

If you think the federal government dishes out too much of our tax dollars to the city then take it up with your representatives.

DC is what it is, a great city. Anyplace could have been selected to be the capital, but any place wasn't, dc was, get over it.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Whenever anyone wants to make an analogy about a big city, they say:
"well, this isn't NY, LA or Chicago...", or
"all the things to do in NY, LA, or Chicago..."

So, then, if you were to add a FOURTH CITY to that typical phrase, what would it be?

Philadelphia, for previously being 4th in population, and its historic value
Houston, for currently being 4th in population
Miami, for anchoring down that corner of the US
San Francisco, for being as dynamic and a favorite for visitors

Which city is FOURTH on your list?
Historically, it would be Philadelphia followed by Detroit.

Now? Probably Philadelphia and San Francisco.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Dc

Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Historically, it would be Philadelphia followed by Detroit.

Now? Probably Philadelphia and San Francisco.
Detroit is #2 historically? is someone forgetting something?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Detroit is #2 historically? is someone forgetting something?
I think he means if Detroit kept it's industrial and manufacturing powerhouse title than Detroit would be the #2 city... I don't think he was speaking about history and importance to the foundation and formation of the U.S.... that right is reserved for Philly, Boston and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City