Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better to live or visit?
San Diego 133 64.56%
Houston 73 35.44%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 PM

234 posts, read 1,157,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I like this post. I've noticed the same overvaluing on here. In the other thread, Detroit is being portrayed by some to be nice or not so bad. Give me a break. Detroit is a ghetto, dirty, disgusting, crime-ridden, poor, ****hole. Just speaking the truth.

finally u speaking the truth good job

Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Houston's on here
Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

And here
Restaurant Cities | ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/2007/04/07041701_slide.html - broken link)

And here
The Best & Worst Places to Live in America

And here
global city: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Enlightening commentary here
Polishing Houston's image a matter of pride - Houston Business Journal:

I don't know why some people here continually try to make it out to be something it's not... something really negative, while oblivious to any redeeming qualities. Ask those people if they've ever actually lived in Houston or experienced it other than from the freeways on business trips and short visits, and they most likely have not!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post

I don't know why some people here continually try to make it out to be something it's not... something really negative, while oblivious to any redeeming qualities. Ask those people if they've ever actually lived in Houston or experienced it other than from the freeways on business trips and short visits, and they most likely have not!
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's really just time for everybody to shut up about things they've heard about.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
San Diego is not world class. L.A. and Houston are.
So your list looks like this?

Paris
London
Sydney
Tokyo
NYC
Houston

.......I don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla
That is why Houston is growing by 180,000 people a year, and SD is growing at a stagnant pace?
A big reason why Houston is growing so fast is because it's CHEAP. What's the median home price there? $150,000? Chump change.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,083 times
Houston is FAR superior to San Diego as a place to actually live. San Diego is best as a place to visit. Houston is growing because of the job market, world class amenities, and low cost of living.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

Paris
London
Sydney
Tokyo
NYC
Houston

A big reason why Houston is growing so fast is because it's CHEAP. What's the median home price there? $150,000? Chump change.
global city: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Stick Chicago, L.A., SF in there first and then Houston in a tie with Boston and D.C. (according to this source). No San Diego...

And speaking from experience, people need a lot more than "cheap" homes to make them happy. If the cheap home is in a dump, doesn't matter, people won't stay. So it's a lot more than that...

Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

Paris
London
Sydney
Tokyo
NYC
Houston

It's not like San Diego is known worldwide. Everyone has heard of Los Angeles though. Do you really think San Diego is better than Los Angeles? I wouldn't want to live in San Diego because it lives in the shadow of L.A. Why live in San Diego when there is a better city next door?

Houston usually ranks second to NYC for some reason. Second highest number of Fortune 500 companies, Second most visited city (see other thread) according to the new formula, etc.

Last edited by KerrTown; 09-20-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Second most visited city (see other thread) according to the new formula, etc.
Really? Didn't know that. You're about to get some heated comments for that one though, lol. Oh well. People don't like this city, and I don't give a damn. Houston kicks ass. I know it, and you know it. That's all that matters.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Really? Didn't know that. You're about to get some heated comments for that one though, lol. Oh well. People don't like this city, and I don't give a damn. Houston kicks ass. I know it, and you know it. That's all that matters.
Count me in. I've live in Houston and occasionally visit. People making such negative observations that are without merit obviously have never lived there or if they have, don't bother to see all the good that's there.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,207 times
i have no reason to judge houston because ive never been there, but seriously, how can you bash san diego for being in the shadow of los angeles? the fact that san diego is recognized despite being in that shadow speaks volumes. and because of san diego's topography, it only has a metro of 3,000,000 people, but urban planners for the first time are starting to built up - way up! and in the long run, san diego will increase in world rankings.

again, droves of people are moving elsewhere because of the cost of living. san diego's median home price is somewhere around 500 to 600,000$ while the national average floats around 200 to 250,000$. if manhattan were cheap, a lot of people would start moving there and new yorks stagnant growth of over 75 years would climb dramatically. the same situation goes for san diego.

alright, im finished defending my soon to be COSMOPOLITAN city! i'd rather grow into the establishment then to move into one. bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City