Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite city center?
Downtown Los Angeles 14 63.64%
Downtown Atlanta 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times

Advertisements

Isn't ATL the 2nd best downtown as far as activity after NOLA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 PM

396 posts, read 601,346 times
^^of course. but it is a good measure of the prominence and importance of a business district. in that regard, i'd say downtown savannah is better than downtown atlanta, but in no (other) way is it more important.

my comment was a response to pwright's ridiculous assertion that downtown atlanta is anything like downtown kennesaw in any possible comparison.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 33,345 times
Atlanta Resident:

Im not really fond of Atlanta's downtown but ill add that it is not exactly a bad place to spend time. The most attractive things in this DT are the tourist sites like the Zoo, Aquarium and WoCC; the Sports Arenas and the Parks.

Also, I think it's just natural to include Midtown because honestly "Midtown" is just a name. There is no distinct transition between DT and MT and there is ZERO distance between them. I had no idea that 10th street wasnt still downtown until some anal person corrected me. Im sure that almost anyone outside of Atlanta would consider it as downtown. Heck, now that I think of it, I couldnt even tell you where MT even officially starts. i assume its at Ponce but I'll never argue that.

All that said, I dont think the DTLA and DTATL are comparable on a simply subjective basis. They are so totally different. ive never even been to Cali but from reading and TV I can see that LA is more centered around the consumerism (shops, fashion, more shops) where as Atlanta (DT) is mostly business and us GSU students with (MT) offering more of a residential+commercial environment. They both have some nice tourist stuff and (from what I can see for LA) nice parks--->I LOVE spending time in Piedmont Park.

I just think that arguing isnt going to do much because of the fact that the reasons for liking DTLA will almost always be different than those that create appreciation for ATL.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
you've always been one to make some crazy statements about atlanta but this one takes the cake. atlanta's downtown¹ has nearly the same amount of office space (without midtown included) as LA's². atlanta's includes the state capitol and government district, as well as the state's second biggest university.

like detroit (and i'm sure other cities) our arts district is in midtown, not downtown. i'd still vote for DT LA over Atl, but the margin is not so far apart as you suggest, and there's no need for downright stupid hyperbole.
Pardon me if I offended you or Atlanta in any way. I come down on occassion especially to Morehouse games. Its a fun city with fun things to do but honestly dt was dissappointing for years imo but it has gotten much better in the last few years.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
DTLA is better. Not a lot of outsiders seem to really know what is actully IN downtown Los Angeles. They just see the skyline on tv in that same shot with the buildings clustered together as if they are all crammed on the same block...For some REAL pictures of DTLA go to the Los Angeles forum and look at the hundreds of OUTSTANDING photos (many of them by pwright1) of LA and it's downtown.

The Fashion District, Jewelry District, All of the Historic Core, South Park, All of Spring St south of the Hollywood Freeway. And if people from Atlanta are so adamant about "Midtown", then can we (in support of LA) throw in Wilshire Blvd, Koreatown, Chinatown and Westlake/McArthur Park? They are just as close to DTLA. Hell, I won't even ask for ALL OF WILSHIRE BLVD, I'll settle for the stretch up to Vermont ave

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
DTLA is better.
Quote:
Not a lot of outsiders seem to really know what is actully IN downtown Los Angeles.
They just see the skyline on tv in that same shot with the buildings clustered together as if they are all crammed on the same block...For some REAL pictures of DTLA go to the Los Angeles forum and look at the hundreds of OUTSTANDING photos (many of them by pwright1) of LA and it's downtown.

The Fashion District, Jewelry District, All of the Historic Core, South Park, All of Spring St south of the Hollywood Freeway. And if people from Atlanta are so adamant about "Midtown", then can we (in support of LA) throw in Wilshire Blvd, Koreatown, Chinatown and Westlake/McArthur Park? They are just as close to DTLA. Hell, I won't even ask for ALL OF WILSHIRE BLVD, I'll settle for the stretch up to Vermont ave
This is very true about Downtown Atlanta as well.
Downtown Atlanta is strong enough to stand on its own with all its options.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Downtown L.A. ! Come on this isn't even a contest.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Downtown L.A. ! Come on this isn't even a contest.
If you're talking strictly downtown L.A. vs. downtown Atlanta it's not much of a contest but if you throw Midtown and Atlantic Station in with Downtown Atlanta (they are right next to and attached to Downtown) Then Central L.A. doesn't blow away Central Atlanta at all. It's a pretty competitive contest then.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
If you're talking strictly downtown L.A. vs. downtown Atlanta it's not much of a contest but if you throw Midtown and Atlantic Station in with Downtown Atlanta (they are right next to and attached to Downtown) Then Central L.A. doesn't blow away Central Atlanta at all. It's a pretty competitive contest then.
If you can start tacking on extra pieces to Atlanta's downtown I think MB8 is right in saying you should be able to tack on Wilshire Blvd to Vermont or Figueroa down to Exposition Park. Though I don't think it is a wipe-out or anything, I think DTLA is the better downtown.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Yes Strictly Downtowns. Not inter-connected urban districts. Just the downtowns proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City