Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in?
California 198 66.00%
North Carolina 102 34.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Can anyone in California verify this? Is it really like that? Do you guys really live like this?
I also spent a good bit of time last summer in California. Mostly just southern California from San Diego up to the southern/eastern portions of the L.A. region.
The amount of homelessness was staggering.
A lot of it feels sketchy unless you're in million-dollar neighborhoods or far enough away from the ocean to not enjoy the benefits of the ocean climate at which point you might as well be in Arizona where real estate is much more reasonable.
The political climate is absurd and getting worse with every level-headed moderate that moves out.
I like California, but it was vastly better 40-50+ years ago.
North Carolina has never appealed to me at all. What's concerning about it is that the couple things it has going for it could disappear in the next few years if it continues on as it has recently. Because of migration trends, I feel like it's on its way to becoming like Virginia and both could eventually become as closed off and ridiculous as California, politically speaking, if they're not careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:36 AM

724 posts, read 559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I also spent a good bit of time last summer in California. Mostly just southern California from San Diego up to the southern/eastern portions of the L.A. region.
The amount of homelessness was staggering.
A lot of it feels sketchy unless you're in million-dollar neighborhoods or far enough away from the ocean to not enjoy the benefits of the ocean climate at which point you might as well be in Arizona where real estate is much more reasonable.
The political climate is absurd and getting worse with every level-headed moderate that moves out.
I like California, but it was vastly better 40-50+ years ago.
North Carolina has never appealed to me at all. What's concerning about it is that the couple things it has going for it could disappear in the next few years if it continues on as it has recently. Because of migration trends, I feel like it's on its way to becoming like Virginia and both could eventually become as closed off and ridiculous as California, politically speaking, if they're not careful.
Gotcha. Thank you! I wonder how California natives cope with all of this. Do you have to close your eyes and pretend its not happening or is it constant denial? I just wonder with what I've been reading on here how anyone could possibly live there.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
If I was wealthy, California. Otherwise NC.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:59 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
California, IF I could comfortably live in Santa Barbara. Otherwise, NC is a very beautiful place as well.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Very interesting insight on California's growing poverty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/u...alifornia.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...234920662.html

Old 04-13-2020, 06:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Gotcha. Thank you! I wonder how California natives cope with all of this. Do you have to close your eyes and pretend its not happening or is it constant denial? I just wonder with what I've been reading on here how anyone could possibly live there.
The same way that living in any area, you become conditioned to the atmosphere, so you notice it, and at the same time you don't. I go spend time out there every 1-2 years; it's easily recognizable that the homeless population is worse than anywhere on this side, yet at the same time, after being out for a day or two you don't notice it, either...

California has huge social issues that aren't going to disappear until some real thoughtful of transparent plans are in place, but the underlying root of homelessness in California is people increasingly couldn't afford to live there...

That is a major issue, and particularly whenever the cost of living stabilizes there, it is gonna be the catalyst to fixing some other things...

We all recognize every place has its benefits and drawbacks. I'm of the opinion that California is the greatest place to live in the United States in a landslide, as in it isn't even close, without these huge social issues hanging in front of it. Obviously you can't live in a vacuum and those things aren't gonna fix themselves, but the positive experience of living out there can't really be matched by anywhere else...

I've grown to appreciate North Carolina, without question it isn't without it's own positives and negatives. But it is exponentially more affordable than California, and at the end of the day people have to be able to afford to make a living. North Carolina's black history and culture is more protected and celebrated as well. All things equal I'd spend time between both as the experience of living in either is unique to the other...

But if all things were equal, NC wouldn't even be close for me...

Old 04-13-2020, 07:34 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The same way that living in any area, you become conditioned to the atmosphere, so you notice it, and at the same time you don't. I go spend time out there every 1-2 years; it's easily recognizable that the homeless population is worse than anywhere on this side, yet at the same time, after being out for a day or two you don't notice it, either...

California has huge social issues that aren't going to disappear until some real thoughtful of transparent plans are in place, but the underlying root of homelessness in California is people increasingly couldn't afford to live there...

That is a major issue, and particularly whenever the cost of living stabilizes there, it is gonna be the catalyst to fixing some other things...

We all recognize every place has its benefits and drawbacks. I'm of the opinion that California is the greatest place to live in the United States in a landslide, as in it isn't even close, without these huge social issues hanging in front of it. Obviously you can't live in a vacuum and those things aren't gonna fix themselves, but the positive experience of living out there can't really be matched by anywhere else...

I've grown to appreciate North Carolina, without question it isn't without it's own positives and negatives. But it is exponentially more affordable than California, and at the end of the day people have to be able to afford to make a living. North Carolina's black history and culture is more protected and celebrated as well. All things equal I'd spend time between both as the experience of living in either is unique to the other...

But if all things were equal, NC wouldn't even be close for me...
Good post.
I'd agree that if a person lives in it or are visiting from similar-type areas out west, the problems aren't as noticeable. I see this in a lot of places that have large amounts of social problems. These things get glossed over by transplants partly because it's warm, mountainous, has oceans, etc. compared to where they're from.
I'm content wearing a jacket for the next few weeks.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:57 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
I love NC but only 1 sizable powerball winning number from CA. Come on, it has everything. I think deep down everyone wants to experience CA short or long term at some point in their life....that's why it's so expensive.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:57 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
If money wasn't an object, I would probably choose California. But since it is, I would choose NC because of COL. California has the better QOL.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:03 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
If money wasn't an object, I would probably choose California. But since it is, I would choose NC because of COL. California has the better QOL.
I agree as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City