Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
A climate that's relatively sunny (huge factor for me), sees occasionally extreme weather and has 4 distinct seasons (hot/stormy summers, not cold but snowy winters) is fine with me.

Best:

1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Milwaukee
4. Des Moines
5. Quad Cities
6. Omaha
7. Madison, WI
8. Denver

Worst

1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. Phoenix
4. Las Vegas
5. San Francisco
6. Albuquerque
7. Fargo
8. Boise
9. Butte, MT
10. Cheyenne, WY

Sort of suprised you didn't mention Detroit in you "best" list.

I love the weather around here....when it isn't disgustingly humid out. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Sort of suprised you didn't mention Detroit in you "best" list.

I love the weather around here....when it isn't disgustingly humid out. lol
See my response to DevanXL (it's explained somewhere in there, lol).

Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Entirely subjective. For me I like tropical/subtropical weather so I pick Miami, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale, Sarasota, Honolulu, Savanna, basically any place that is warm and fairly humid.

Worst for me would be Seattle, Portland Oregon etc... I hate dark and rainy places. Not a fan of deserts or snow either.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Best = San Diego. I don't have to explain that.
Worst = Phoenix. Don't let anybody B.S. you about how "mild" this place is. This place is hotter than hell for half the year, make no mistake about it. The constant sun is great if you want to just sit on your ass all day, driving around in your air conditioned car, looking out the windows, but it's not conducive to actually being outdoors comfortably.
BLASPHEMY!!!
I love Phoenix' weather!!! But then again, I can deal with the heat. I LOVE it hot!!!

But I do agree with San Diego being the BEST!!! EASILY!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,028 times
BEST: SAN DIEGO!!! Then Los Angeles

WORST: Chicago? Anywhere cold and windy. I don't mind the rain so much as I hate cold. Especially cold + lots of wind and dark clouds.

I HATE the weather in NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Ohio, etc...

Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Best: A toss-up between coastal California cities. San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.

Order of preference is an individual matter. San Diego is the prototypical California climate. San Francisco is my personal favorite, with a charming mix of Spring and Fall without extremes. LA is nice, except for extreme air pollution and heat in inland areas and valleys.

Worst: Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Buffalo

The absolute worst, in my opinion, is probably Dallas. It's not as humid and uncomfortable as New Orleans and Houston, but that's its only advantage. It is prone to damaging storms with hail and tornadoes, 100+ temps for weeks in a row, severe and frequent droughts, ice storms in winter, strange cricket infestations and heavy ozone pollution. Houston and New Orleans are close behind.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
I like the diversity of our weather along the Front Range. However, if I were looking at retiring and could afford to live anyplace in the US, I'd move to Monterey, CA. 60's-70's pretty much year round and I don't mind fog in the least. After 58 years of living in the Great American Desert I think that would be a nice change of pace.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I like the diversity of our weather along the Front Range. However, if I were looking at retiring and could afford to live anyplace in the US, I'd move to Monterey, CA. 60's-70's pretty much year round and I don't mind fog in the least. After 58 years of living in the Great American Desert I think that would be a nice change of pace.
+1 Yes, Monterey is very nice--very similar to the Bay Area, perhaps right in the middle between SF and Oakland in temperature, on average.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Best is coastal California

Worst is anywhere that looks like a tundra in the winter with eskimo looking people gowning their winter fashion that makes them look indigenous. Ew. Little kids that havent developed enough brain matter to realize the muddy ice they picked up from street corners they are putting in their mouth will give em an infection and old geezers driving to their grand daughters house crashing their cars in trees because they didnt change to their snow tires.

Surviving a winter means having to plan. Scheduling a day to change to winter tires. Planning how many layers to wear. Planning what to eat or drink because of the sensitive flu season. Planning when to go out and when to stay in, etc. Etc, etc.

F that ****

Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM

159 posts, read 511,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
A climate that's relatively sunny (huge factor for me), sees occasionally extreme weather and has 4 distinct seasons (hot/stormy summers, not cold but snowy winters) is fine with me.

Best:

1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Milwaukee
4. Des Moines
5. Quad Cities
6. Omaha
7. Madison, WI
8. Denver

Worst

1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. Phoenix
4. Las Vegas
5. San Francisco
6. Albuquerque
7. Fargo
8. Boise
9. Butte, MT
10. Cheyenne, WY

Why are places like Boise and Albuquerque on your worst list when their climates are relatively similar to Denver's? They all have around the same temperature (Albuquerque is a few degrees warmer year round) and precipitation doesn't vary much at all. Denver does get a lot more snow than both, but I don't see why you would put those cities on your worst list instead of places like Houston or Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City