Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ man, ny is nothing like baltimore and dc.
an island city is different from an inland
city, whether the temperature is similar
or not. dc and md is much more humid
than ny. it's not even a question.
Study weather, then get back with me. NYC gets just as hot and muggy as Baltimore and DC. There really isn't a noticeable different between the weather in all for cities. The Bermuda high is the reason NYC, and basically the eastern half of the U.S. gets so humid in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When did I say DC was not more vibrant, dense, or urban than Baltimore? DC is on a different level than Baltimore on urbanity and vibrancy and that is only increasing daily since DC is absolutely booming. I was pointing out that urban is based on built form. That means how close the buildings are to the street. How much open land is present? Lot size etc. I live in DC and I'm from DC. You are clearly new here. My point is, people have a false sense of what the built environment is compared to convenience. I will give you an example.

-What would fifty high-rises built on zero lot sizes squeezed into 10 blocks squared with no retail be? Are you really going to say that would not be urban?

-Now, take 100 single family homes built on small lots with corner stores, shopping, and everything you need. Which neighborhood is more urban?
I agree with everything you said except for DC being more urban than Baltimore.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ i don't have to study the weather because I know
these places from experience. ny is colder longer
because it is on the coast plus farther north. it might
be just as hot but the summers are shorter than they
are down south in bmore and dc.

lol who are you to tell me what i should do anyway?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I was all though Downtown, and I enjoyed that area between Camden Yards and the Inner Harbor. I also was in West Baltimore...

West Baltimore looks and feels like South Memphis, what with the sloppy streets, crumbling facade and narrow alleyways. You see alot of people out and about--but it isnt an economically privileged area. I forget the name of the streets, but I was going directly westward from downtown. Memphis' streets are wider, though. And while Memphis doesnt have the Harbor, the narrowness of its downtown streets, and the collection of shops and many, many restaurants are very similar. Memphis may actually have more things to experience downtown, because unless I'm not attentive, downtown Baltimore was rather bland once you left the Harbor area, and thats going in any direction.

And I also should mention the similarities in demographics between Baltimore and Memphis; look em up. They are almost identical in income, education, disproportion in wealth, race, segregation of neighborhoods. There is actually alot of similarities between Baltimore and Memphis, dont get caught in this "it-cant-be-because-Memphis-is-southern/country" train of thought. Memphis has an industrial history, too.

Dont forget, I also said B-More reminds me of Syracuse, too---but I wont start on that lol...
Memphis is in the heart of dixie. Bmore is a NE city... no commonplace.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree with everything you said except for DC being more urban than Baltimore.

DC's core is larger than Baltimore's core. DC is more of an apartment city which is multiplying everyday. DC's future is headed for a highrise apartment city. Baltimore will always be a rowhouse city. It's extremly hard for a rowhouse city to compete with highrise apartments on urbanity. I know Baltimore well and my Dad's family are all from East Baltimore. Baltimore is very urban, but in a rowhouse way while DC is becoming an apartment city.

Baltimore like many cities suffers from parking lot syndrome. That really reduces urbanity. It's becoming extremely hard to find any surface parking or parking garages in DC now. Parking is all underground which maximizes urbanity. As DC's core continues to spread, it's putting DC into a different league than Baltimore.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-10-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ i don't have to study the weather because I know
these places from experience. ny is colder longer
because it is on the coast plus farther north. it might
be just as hot but the summers are shorter than they
are down south in bmore and dc.

lol who are you to tell me what i should do anyway?
Actually, the ocean is what keeps NYC warmer in the winter. I'm just a guy providing facts.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ that still doesn't negate the fact that it's farther north tho.
go to manhattan and walk a few blocks in january and let
that ocean breeze hit you in the face and see how much colder
it is.

i'm done, son. take it how you want it.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
When I go to pg county I dont usually feel a difference in weather.

When I went to Baltimore last spring it was warmer then Brooklyn but by only 4 degrees. Not much of a difference. But the next day the temperature dropped in bmore and I had to wear a track suit.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
When did I say DC was not more vibrant, dense, or urban than Baltimore? DC is on a different level than Baltimore on urbanity and vibrancy and that is only increasing daily since DC is absolutely booming. I was pointing out that urban is based on built form. That means how close the buildings are to the street. How much open land is present? Lot size etc. I live in DC and I'm from DC. You are clearly new here. My point is, people have a false sense of what the built environment is compared to convenience. I will give you an example.

-What would fifty high-rises built on zero lot sizes squeezed into 10 blocks squared with no retail be? Are you really going to say that would not be urban?

-Now, take 100 single family homes built on small lots with corner stores, shopping, and everything you need. Which neighborhood is more urban?
a) While I am not from DC, I am not new to DC. Last weekend was the first time in 8 yrs that I'd been--but I spent a short period of my childhood in both the SW Waterfront area and the Eastern Ave NE area. When we moved from DC, we only went to Richmond, and weekend return trips to DC were commonplace.

b) You're right, you never said that DC wasnt more urban than Baltimore; I misunderstood your point.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
DC's core is larger than Baltimore's core. DC is more of an apartment city which is multiplying everyday. DC's future is headed for a highrise apartment city. Baltimore will always be a rowhouse city. It's extremly hard for a rowhouse city to compete with highrise apartments on urbanity. I know Baltimore well and my Dad's family are all from East Baltimore. Baltimore is very urban, but in a rowhouse way while DC is becoming an apartment city.

Baltimore like many cities suffers from parking lot syndrome. That really reduces urbanity. It's becoming extremely hard to find any surface parking or parking garages in DC now. Parking is all underground which maximizes urbanity. As DC's core continues to spread, it's putting DC into a different league than Baltimore.
Apartments don't equal urban. It's the structural density. Yes downtown DC is very large, but structural density in It's residential area, I wouldn't exactly hand that title to DC. Baltimore simply packs more buildings in less space. I can post pics streets that are too narrow to park on, that if you walked out the front door, you're literally on the street . There's also a lot of houses with rooftop decks. Furthermore, downtown Baltimore does not have a lot of surface parking lots; many of the buildings have underground parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City