Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think they offer similar urbanity.
Maybe that guy just really hates Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Maybe that guy just really hates Baltimore.

Well for one, that poster is talking about vibrancy instead of built form. Obviously DC is more vibrant than Baltimore, but Baltimore is built very dense and urban. I think it's hard for people to separate built form with ammenities/vibrancy. It's the reason a single family housing neighborhood can have a higher walk score than a row house neighborhood. They aren't actually comparing building density. They are comparing the closeness of ammenities. So basically, if you live above a strip shopping center with a park, your neighborhood should have a high walk score. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
baltimore is more urban and industrial like the northeast.

dc is more like a plantation modeled after paris.

at the same time tho, dc and baltimore looks north but
feels south to me. maybe it's all the sunshine.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post

So, you think 99.9% of cities in the United States look like Plantation's? That's basically what you are saying sense DC is more urban than all but about 4-5 cities in this entire country.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:

What sunshine? It's been raining five days a week for the past month.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
^ dc is in a class of its own, but the national mall area looks like a plantation. everything else besides east of the river is designed more like the northeast
but looks very european because of all the awkwardly angled roadways and circles. georgetown is more like aleaxandria.

some people like to bicker but i don't, so have your fun with that.

the north is cloudier and colder compared to the south.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
^ dc is in a class of its own, but the national mall area looks like a plantation. everything else besides east of the river is designed more like the northeast
but looks very european because of all the awkwardly angled roadways and circles. georgetown is more like aleaxandria.

I'm sure you didn't know this, so here is an update on the national mall.

New Museum Under Construction
National Museum of African American History and Culture

Complete Overhaul of the National Mall with restaurants, ice skating, water features, ponds, and new trees and flowers etc. being added. You won't recognize the national mall in a few years.
National Mall ready to take on new look
Mall design contest winners named - The Washington Post

Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Clearly Baltimore, since DC lacks large industrial areas that Baltimore has, even if there aren't as many as there used to be. Much of the southern/southeastern portion of Baltimore has large industrial zones, and I-95 passes through many of them. DC has just a few small industrial buildings near the Red Line in Northeast and a few along the Potomac. Even though Baltimore's commercial districts aren't as vibrant as DC's, they still have that very urban experience shopping. Baltimore's rowhouses also spread further from downtown in several directions compared to DC's, and more are directly lined up against the sidewalk. Even though DC has more large apartment buildings, they tend to cluster along avenues and a block or two away from them outside of the original L'Efant grid you'll find lots of lower density residential housing. That's not to say that Baltimore is a dying city, since unlike cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, and Buffalo lies along the Megalopolis, and advances in transportation such as high-speed rain and mass transit along with being seen as a cheaper alternative to DC could provide a nice turnaround for Baltimore just like the Orioles performance was this season. Much of DC's growth came during the age of the automobile while most of Baltimore's came during the Steamship/Railroad/Streetcar era, meaning that Baltimore has a more authentic urban feel.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Clearly Baltimore, since DC lacks large industrial areas that Baltimore has, even if there aren't as many as there used to be. Much of the southern/southeastern portion of Baltimore has large industrial zones, and I-95 passes through many of them. DC has just a few small industrial buildings near the Red Line in Northeast and a few along the Potomac. Even though Baltimore's commercial districts aren't as vibrant as DC's, they still have that very urban experience shopping. Baltimore's rowhouses also spread further from downtown in several directions compared to DC's, and more are directly lined up against the sidewalk. Even though DC has more large apartment buildings, they tend to cluster along avenues and a block or two away from them outside of the original L'Efant grid you'll find lots of lower density residential housing. That's not to say that Baltimore is a dying city, since unlike cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, and Buffalo lies along the Megalopolis, and advances in transportation such as high-speed rain and mass transit along with being seen as a cheaper alternative to DC could provide a nice turnaround for Baltimore just like the Orioles performance was this season. Much of DC's growth came during the age of the automobile while most of Baltimore's came during the Steamship/Railroad/Streetcar era, meaning that Baltimore has a more authentic urban feel.

DC is definetly becoming more of an apartment highrise city and Baltimore will always be a rowhouse city. Many parts of DC are becoming completely highrise now. Neighborhoods are emerging all over the city that will offer a completely highrise neighborhood lifestyle that has not been available in DC outside of Dupont Circle or Penn Quarter. Now NOMA, Capitol Riverfront and SW Waterfront are headed in that direction. NOMA will be the most densely populated neighborhood in all of DC with 10,000+ units crammed into a few blocks.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Quote:

The National Mall looks southern I agree fully.
The way the DC east of the river is designed so different that it feels like a totally different city than the west side of the river. Baltimore seems to always have a cloud over it though... I really feel like I'm in the north compared to DC, which has can show its southern past at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City