Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ that still doesn't negate the fact that it's farther north tho.
go to manhattan and walk a few blocks in january and let
that ocean breeze hit you in the face and see how much colder
it is.

i'm done, son. take it how you want it.
Why do that when we get the same temperature as they do. And believe it or not, Baltimore actually gets colder than nyc does at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Could you please point to the area's in Memphis that look anything like Baltimore? What is the density in Memphis anyway? Do they even have urban attached houses in Memphis? There is nothing urban about a detached single family home. Isn't Memphis spread out with very low density, virtually no public transit, no traffic, etc. etc. etc.
Also, I made it a point to mention similarities between Memphis and Baltimore; you've obviously never been to Memphis, or else you would understand what I am saying. They could be sister cities. Information is free, MDAllstar, all you have to do is a little research and traveling.

Let me also remind you that I never said that Memphis was more urban than Baltimore, only that the vibe and cityscapes are similar, and I stand by that, because I've been to both. Memphis is spread with low density, but inner city Memphis matches inner city Baltimore. "There is nothing urban about a detached single family home"? Memphis is gonna be more Southern in architecture, more classical, but that isnt a hinder to it being a city. They have above average bussing, they cant agree on light rail, but they probably need it; the same amount of people that are in Baltimore are in Memphis. And you are completely wrong on "no traffic", especially seeing as traffic in Baltimore is a scarcity in itself. I'm loling at that one...

@BKmachine, your comment has absolutely nothing to do with nothing, being "heart of dixie" (of which Nashville moreso fits that bill, because Memphis isnt) has nothing to do with cities being similar. And being a northeastern city doesnt automatically qualify for being a metropolis...

Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Also, I made it a point to mention similarities between Memphis and Baltimore; you've obviously never been to Memphis, or else you would understand what I am saying. They could be sister cities. Information is free, MDAllstar, all you have to do is a little research and traveling.

Let me also remind you that I never said that Memphis was more urban than Baltimore, only that the vibe and cityscapes are similar, and I stand by that, because I've been to both. Memphis is spread with low density, but inner city Memphis matches inner city Baltimore. "There is nothing urban about a detached single family home"? Memphis is gonna be more Southern in architecture, more classical, but that isnt a hinder to it being a city. They have above average bussing, they cant agree on light rail, but they probably need it; the same amount of people that are in Baltimore are in Memphis. And you are completely wrong on "no traffic", especially seeing as traffic in Baltimore is a scarcity in itself. I'm loling at that one...

@BKmachine, your comment has absolutely nothing to do with nothing, being "heart of dixie" (of which Nashville moreso fits that bill, because Memphis isnt) has nothing to do with cities being similar. And being a northeastern city doesnt automatically qualify for being a metropolis...
Traffic in Baltimore is ranked amongst the worst in the country (number 5 last time I checked), "scarcity" isn't really a word I would use to describe it.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Apartments don't equal urban. It's the structural density. Yes downtown DC is very large, but structural density in It's residential area, I wouldn't exactly hand that title to DC. Baltimore simply packs more buildings in less space. I can post pics streets that are too narrow to park on, that if you walked out the front door, you're literally on the street . There's also a lot of houses with rooftop decks. Furthermore, downtown Baltimore does not have a lot of surface parking lots; many of the buildings have underground parking.

Apartments the way DC builds them does equal urbanity. It also provides higher density with people on the streets and first floor retail. Downtown DC is a fraction of the core developing in DC. SW Waterfront, NOMA, Capitol Riverfront, Shaw, Mid City, Logan Circle, Petworth, and Columbia Heights are all seeing major development. This development is not rowhomes, it's 200-500 unit buildings. DC is building up all over the city which is not the case in Baltimore. Baltimore is more of a two story row house city with alleys. That is apart of Baltimore that will never change. The neighborhoods will be preserved so there is no chance for Baltimore to build the urban apartment density across the city that is happening in DC. Even the urban downtown neighborhoods many times are rowhouses instead of highrises. Baltimore will fill up again through programs like Vacants to Value, but that is just vacants. That is not the same as building new commercial residential highrises outside of downtown like DC is doing.

The direction of the cities couldn't be more different right now. Baltimore is trying to get people back into the vacant rowhomes, while DC is trying to accomodate new residences by building dense neighborhoods full of highrises. It's really more apples and oranges when it comes to the development patterns of the cities over the next couple decades.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Yes it is. If the buildings aren't coming up to the street on zero lots, what is the comparison in the built form? How is the feeling and experience the same? Please show me a street in Memphis that has anything in common with anywhere in the Bos-Wash Corridor.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
That is 180 proof unfiltered bonafide bullsh1t yo Bmore nothing like Memphis.... Memphis is country.... Bmore resembles Philly more than anything.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Apartments the way DC builds them does equal urbanity. It also provides higher density with people on the streets and first floor retail. Downtown DC is a fraction of the core developing in DC. SW Waterfront, NOMA, Capitol Riverfront, Shaw, Mid City, Logan Circle, Petworth, and Columbia Heights are all seeing major development. This development is not rowhomes, it's 200-500 unit buildings. DC is building up all over the city which is not the case in Baltimore. Baltimore is more of a two story row house city with alleys. That is apart of Baltimore that will never change. The neighborhoods will be preserved so there is no chance for Baltimore to build the urban apartment density across the city that is happening in DC. Even the urban downtown neighborhoods many times are rowhouses instead of highrises. Baltimore will fill up again through programs like Vacants to Value, but that is just vacants. That is not the same as building new commercial residential highrises outside of downtown like DC is doing.

The direction of the cities couldn't be more different right now. Baltimore is trying to get people back into the vacant rowhomes, while DC is trying to accomodate new residences by building dense neighborhoods full of highrises. It's really more apples and oranges when it comes to the development patterns of the cities over the next couple decades.
Funny thing is, I was in federal hill last week, and I took a picture of the multi-million dollar condos, and a skyline that rises in the background. I say this because 5 years ago, NONE of those buildings were there. East Baltimore is building a lot of new condos and rowhouses. This doesn't include the vacant houses that are being renovated, or the ones that are being demolished to make space for future development. There's a reason why downtown Baltimore's grew 130% in the last decade, and It's not the rowhouses which many are apartments also.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Funny thing is, I was in federal hill last week, and I took a picture of the multi-million dollar condos, and a skyline that rises in the background. I say this because 5 years ago, NONE of those buildings were there. East Baltimore is building a lot of new condos and rowhouses. This doesn't include the vacant houses that are being renovated, or the ones that are being demolished to make space for future development. There's a reason why downtown Baltimore's grew 130% in the last decade, and It's not the rowhouses which many are apartments also.

I follow development in Baltimore closely. I know all about the recent buildings that have opened in Baltimore over the last couple years. However, what has and is happening in Baltimore pales in comparison to what is happening in DC. There are no neighborhoods as large or widespead being built in Baltimore compared to what is being built in DC. A few buildings dotting a corner here and a corner there can't be compared to the canyons developing along 14th street, 7th street, U Street, Flordia Ave., New York Ave, etc. etc. etc. We are talking about ten's of thousands of units here. Another thing to note is Baltimore gets alot of growth through DC spill over. That alone should tell you something about the difference in development between the two cities. DC will run out of space in a few decades. I don't see that happening in Baltimore.

Remember, I said Baltimore will grow downtown. The thing is, downtown Baltimore is already there. Expanding the urban footprint is the only way to change the status quo. That is the biggest difference between DC and Bmore. DC's core is becoming massive.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-10-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I follow development in Baltimore closely. I know all about the recent buildings that have opened in Baltimore over the last couple years. However, what has and is happening in Baltimore pales in comparison to what is happening in DC. There are no neighborhoods as large or widespead being built in Baltimore compared to what is being built in DC. A few buildings dotting a corner here and a corner there can't be compared to the canyons developing along 14th street, 7th street, U Street, Flordia Ave., New York Ave, etc. etc. etc. We are talking about ten's of thousands of units here. Another thing to note is Baltimore gets alot of growth through DC spill over. That alone should tell you something about the difference in development between the two cities. DC will run out of space in a few decades. I don't see that happening in Baltimore.
I'm not disagreeing with about DC development, however, I do disagree that DC is more structurally dense. Comparing a block with one big building to a block of the same size with multiple buildings.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with about DC development, however, I do disagree that DC is more structurally dense. Comparing a block with one big building to a block of the same size with multiple buildings.

Which area's are you referring too? I would say Mt. Vernon is a very urban neighborhood, but many of the other neighborhoods like Fells Point etc. are just rowhouse neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City