Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
yeaaa thats exactly what im talking about. i worked at sheraton so i get sherton , hilton, and marriot confused at times.

but i drove my car from brooklyn straight to baltimore. Ride was pretty short quick and easy.

But at night i drove around to see what baltimore was about. I got to the hood parties late. in nyc we usually leave our cribs at 12 - 1 am to party. Huge mistake in b more we left our hotel room at like 1? We got to the parties and everything was shut down.

But um i went to this place in baltimore that is very popular. Its a open party spot that everyone knows about. You wait on line and when you go in theirs mad restaurants and parties. Its next to this community college.

damn i forgot the name of it but we went their as well.
You're talking about powerplant live. I've been there twice maybe. There are few neighborhoods near downtown that has a lot of bars, clubs, restaurants. However, everything shuts down at 2am, so the latest you should leave to go out is 11PM. I'll be in NYC in a couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Great defense of your theory that Washington is way more urban than Baltimore!!!!!!!
I didn't even attempt to argue that. I'm just saying that it's city to say that D.C. looks like a suburb. And it's even sillier to say Arlington looks more like a city than D.C.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're talking about powerplant live. I've been there twice maybe. There are few neighborhoods near downtown that has a lot of bars, clubs, restaurants. However, everything shuts down at 2am, so the latest you should leave to go out is 11PM. I'll be in NYC in a couple weeks.
yesssss the powerplant. thats exactly what it was. i spoke to some girls their. girls are baltimore are very nice, not stuck up like the nyc girls. i spoke to this pretty black girl who worked at the hotel all night. we got so caught up talking that my sisters friend got mad at me for leaving the wedding reception lmao.

i should of took her number and prolly brought her up to nyc for a good time. She was very nice and very pretty and i loved her accent.

where in nyc are you heading to?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
yesssss the powerplant. thats exactly what it was. i spoke to some girls their. girls are baltimore are very nice, not stuck up like the nyc girls. i spoke to this pretty black girl who worked at the hotel all night. we got so caught up talking that my sisters friend got mad at me for leaving the wedding reception lmao.

i should of took her number and prolly brought her up to nyc for a good time. She was very nice and very pretty and i loved her accent.

where in nyc are you heading to?
Staying in the BX, but I'll be all over the place except, maybe Staten Island

Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Staying in the BX, but I'll be all over the place except, maybe Staten Island
yea no1 goes to staten island. lol. Sucks you have to take a boat their if you aint got a car.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
yea no1 goes to staten island. lol. Sucks you have to take a boat their if you aint got a car.
I'm taking the Train up, I'm leaving my car home. I hate driving in the city (the suspension on coupes are a little less forgiving).

Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I'm taking the Train up, I'm leaving my car home. I hate driving in the city (the suspension on coupes are a little less forgiving).
oh ok, im not in the bronx often, they have good transportation though.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Somebody on this thread has to tell the truth--and I guess it starts with me...

I literally just left Baltimore about 3 pm yesterday. And I'm honestly amazed that there is even a debate about which of these two cities is more urban.

Baltimore belongs in no conversation of elite American cities, certainly not with DC. Baltimore is urban, in terms of density, population, and architecture, but the buck stops there. It is dirty, rather spaced out with second-tier public transportation, and the nightlife and cultural amenities are largely limited to that Power Plant and Harbor areas. Notice I didnt say that all of Baltimore's entertainment is in those two areas--but outside of those, fun is few and far between. It is an old city, obviously, but one that is in obvious disrepair and that is struggling mightily to keep up with the larger cities that its residents like to be compared to (DC, NY, Philly, etc). And to be quite honest, Baltimore has a similar vibe that could make it a larger Syracuse, or a more inner-city Memphis. Not to say that Baltimore doesnt have redeeming qualities, but it is a dying city, and dying hard, and just like Memphis, Detroit, Buffalo and the like, its best days are behind them...

Washington, on the other hand, is most definitely a top-10 city in this country, if not top-5. It has ridiculous shopping, and it isnt limited to just three or four areas; you have great shopping in DC citywide. Its already been mentioned that it is more diverse than Baltimore, it has more fine dining and international cuisine, better and more museums and historical sites--although Baltimore definitely has historical value. The nightlife is fun and spread throughout, and as someone else mentioned, Baltimore doesnt have a single neighborhood that can compete with Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Crystal City, The Waterfront--and Downtown Washington blows Downtown Baltimore out of the water.

The kicker in the urbanity argument lies in the comparison of the downtowns, which are generally the central lifestyle/entertainment districts in American cities. You can drive for whole blocks throughout Downtown Baltimore (as I did yesterday), on a weekday, and see so little pedestrian traffic that you wouldnt know you were downtown. Whereas in DC, you'd be hard-pressed to find a boring/quiet stretch of downtown on a weekEND day or evening, let alone midlle of the day in the middle of the workweek.

I've visited neither New York or Philadelphia, so I cant disagree on whether or not Baltimore has a similar feel to them. But I'm no stranger to big cities--Dallas, Atlanta, LA, and Kansas City are just some of the cities on my resume. And in terms of urbanity, B-more has little to nothing on those cities, so its hard to imagine it being able to compete with Philly or NY.

Two cents from a guy who spent the last four days in the area....

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Somebody on this thread has to tell the truth--and I guess it starts with me...

I literally just left Baltimore about 3 pm yesterday. And I'm honestly amazed that there is even a debate about which of these two cities is more urban.

Baltimore belongs in no conversation of elite American cities, certainly not with DC. Baltimore is urban, in terms of density, population, and architecture, but the buck stops there. It is dirty, rather spaced out with second-tier public transportation, and the nightlife and cultural amenities are largely limited to that Power Plant and Harbor areas. Notice I didnt say that all of Baltimore's entertainment is in those two areas--but outside of those, fun is few and far between. It is an old city, obviously, but one that is in obvious disrepair and that is struggling mightily to keep up with the larger cities that its residents like to be compared to (DC, NY, Philly, etc). And to be quite honest, Baltimore has a similar vibe that could make it a larger Syracuse, or a more inner-city Memphis. Not to say that Baltimore doesnt have redeeming qualities, but it is a dying city, and dying hard, and just like Memphis, Detroit, Buffalo and the like, its best days are behind them...

Washington, on the other hand, is most definitely a top-10 city in this country, if not top-5. It has ridiculous shopping, and it isnt limited to just three or four areas; you have great shopping in DC citywide. Its already been mentioned that it is more diverse than Baltimore, it has more fine dining and international cuisine, better and more museums and historical sites--although Baltimore definitely has historical value. The nightlife is fun and spread throughout, and as someone else mentioned, Baltimore doesnt have a single neighborhood that can compete with Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Crystal City, The Waterfront--and Downtown Washington blows Downtown Baltimore out of the water.

The kicker in the urbanity argument lies in the comparison of the downtowns, which are generally the central lifestyle/entertainment districts in American cities. You can drive for whole blocks throughout Downtown Baltimore (as I did yesterday), on a weekday, and see so little pedestrian traffic that you wouldnt know you were downtown. Whereas in DC, you'd be hard-pressed to find a boring/quiet stretch of downtown on a weekEND day or evening, let alone midlle of the day in the middle of the workweek.

I've visited neither New York or Philadelphia, so I cant disagree on whether or not Baltimore has a similar feel to them. But I'm no stranger to big cities--Dallas, Atlanta, LA, and Kansas City are just some of the cities on my resume. And in terms of urbanity, B-more has little to nothing on those cities, so its hard to imagine it being able to compete with Philly or NY.

Two cents from a guy who spent the last four days in the area....
What did you do while you were in Baltimore?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
I think they offer similar urbanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City