Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Boston 102 75.00%
Philadelpha 12 8.82%
New York 22 16.18%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:49 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
When it comes to the people, I find the most similarities to New Yorkers.
The last company I worked for had offices in Alameda and Walnut Creek, and I was out there quite a bit. Can't say I saw many similarities between New Yorkers and San Franciscans. The latter were very laid back, almost painfully so, while New Yorkers are...well...New Yorkers.

I agree there aren't many similarities between and San Fraciscans and Bostonians either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 PM

98 posts, read 132,515 times
I can understand the arguments for Boston, but to me SF feels most like NYC.

I think it might be a function of who you spend your time with, and which neighbourhoods you spend your time in. For myself I spend the most time in North Beach, The Haight and the Mission, and those places remind me of Lower Manhattan more than anywhere else. Obviously San Francisco is smaller and less frenetic, but the feeling on the street there, and the attitudes of the people who live there are similar to those in Lower Manhattan.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 PM

148 posts, read 228,520 times
Why not this?

SF is a bit of Boston, New York and Philadelphia.

Still is in no way a mirror image.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
Neither but if you held a gun to my head Boston

Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM

148 posts, read 228,520 times
I always felt like Boston was Lower Manhattan and Philadelphia was Midtown Manhattan.

Grid vs winding streets.

Meh.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:32 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
The last company I worked for had offices in Alameda and Walnut Creek, and I was out there quite a bit. Can't say I saw many similarities between New Yorkers and San Franciscans. The latter were very laid back, almost painfully so, while New Yorkers are...well...New Yorkers.

I agree there aren't many similarities between and San Fraciscans and Bostonians either.
Well Alameda and Walnut Creek are certainly not San Francisco - they are suburban East Bay CA, Alameda literally being an island with a beach on the bay and feeling like a beachy town (there's really not much office, or anything there except single family homes, some apartments, and a couple cutesy commercial strips) and Walnut Creek being way out there and extremely suburban, surrounded by executive housing and fringe neighborhoods.

Not that San Francisco isn't more laid back than New York, but the difference is thinning by the day and there are "people" similarities outside of the office environment, too.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
I always felt like Boston was Lower Manhattan and Philadelphia was Midtown Manhattan.

Grid vs winding streets.

Meh.
Lower Manhattan is the oldest part of the city, with some bars dating back to before the Revolution. There are narrow cobblestone streets and yes a more winding street pattern than the grid you find even a bit further north in the borough. It reminds me a bit of both Boston and Philadelphia in that section for those reasons.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
No problem. Here is a more accurate list of 10 most visited cities from 2011:

1. Orlando- 48 million
2. New York City- 47 million
3. Chicago- 45.5 million
4. Anaheim/ Orange County, California- 42.7 million
5. Miami- 38.1 million
6. Las Vegas- 36.5 million
7. Atlanta- 35.4 million
8. Houston- 31 million
9. Philadelphia- 30.3 million
10. San Diego- 29.6 million

List: America's Most-Visited Cities - 10. San Diego, Calif.: 29,600,000 visitors - Forbes.com
weird that people go to san Diego but not la ?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:12 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Of these three cities?: Boston. As others have noted the two cities (Boston & SF) are not necessarily that similar culturally, but more in terms of being well-educated, affluent, coastal, relatively compact in the city proper, etc. All of these cities share some superficial similarities to some degree, but are also radically divergent in other ways, with their own unique vibes. Difficult to measure NYC against the others, when you could combine the other three and still only have maybe only, what, a 1/3 of New Yorks population (give or take)? It's sheer scale makes it a whole different beast.

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 02-17-2015 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 05:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually SF is not really like any of these places aside from anecdotal similarities. Boston is not weird enough, or mediterranean enough, or liberal enough, or asian enough, or mexican enough, etc

These are 2 completely different places that don't look or feel anything alike. What they are similar sizes and both are on the water but that's pretty much it. Boston is also more blue collar than SF.
I completely agree. None of them are like San Francisco. Having similar population size doesn't mean much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City