Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Boston 102 75.00%
Philadelpha 12 8.82%
New York 22 16.18%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 AM

592 posts, read 461,029 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, well I would have to say that I consider San Fran to be most similar to NY, simply because I see San Fran as functioning as a kind of "NYC of the West Coast" if you will. Angel Island was the west coast equivalent to the Ellis Island port of entry for immigrants. It is a city built on foreign, non-English speaking immigrants from its very beginnings, just like NYC (and unlike English Puritan Boston). San Fran was possessed by a non-English speaking power (the Spanish) for a considerable length of its early history, like NYC was (the Dutch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I would say that San Francisco compares best to Boston because they're both coastal cities with harbors, because tourism is an important part of both economies, and because they are most similar in size. New York City, of course, also is a coastal city and a tourist destination, but it's on a much larger scale and has its own unique culture that makes it hard to compare with anyplace else in the U.S. Philadelphia doesn't have the ocean setting and the hilly topography that Boston and San Francisco have, and it isn't the tourist destination that New York, Boston and San Francisco are.
Yea, I've been to Philadelphia maybe 2 hundred times and you're right; there are no tourists there. In fact, when I was there I was the only person I saw. Just me and I and no tourists. Just myself.....empty streets, bars, museums, sports arenas, etc,

Gee Whiz................

Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,252 times
Funny because Philly was the 10th most visited city in America..... Hmmmm

Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,297 times
[quote=Toure;29177752]Funny because Philly was the 10th most visited city in America..... Hmmmm[/quot

I was being..........never mind.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM

54 posts, read 122,068 times
San Francisco, especially prior to the 70s, was ethnically very similar to Boston in that both had very large Irish communities and Catholic identities. Those of us who are not familiar with the city's history forget that SF was not always the city it is perceived to be today.

I live in Philly and do not think it evokes SF. It is the second largest collegiate market in the nation after Boston; however Philly is drastically more affordable than Boston or SF. Philly also has a great deal of poverty and a much larger Black population, and much smaller Asian and Hispanic populations (proportionally) than most of the largest cities.

If one is to compare Philly to another city, Baltimore would be a good fit. Housing stock, demographically, post-industrially, etc.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:20 PM

148 posts, read 228,520 times
Born and raised in Upstate NY (Albanyish), and have been to SF more than Boston.

None of the comparisons make sense to me. Boston and SF similarities are like Chicago and NYC similarities. Ambiguous and suggest a whole lot of nothing.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
I would say that Boston is closest to SF. They aren't really THAT similar, but you only gave us three choices, and NYC and Philly feel even less similar to SF than Boston.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
I personally find the most similarities to NYC. The similarities between Boston and SF are economic and "size" in nature, but it really stops there. I don't see a lot of similarities to Philly. I do see a lot of similarities to NYC in terms of people and vibe. SF to me is like the NYC of the west coast and has a lot of the same offerings, on a smaller scale. There are some similarities in layout and setup, too, and I can even find a few architecturally (moreso than to the other two cities).

Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
There seems to be a "pipeline" between SF and Boston, especially in medicine. There are definite similarities..

Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
^^^Economically. Boston = #1 biotech center in the world and SF = close #2, and #1 by VC with larger Boston based firms/US divisions based in Boston often acquiring SF based firms once there is a breakthrough, pre-IPO.

But beyond economies (both are also major financial centers) and general size/scope, focus on education, etc, Boston and SF have almost zero similarities. Completely different people. Different looks and feels. Different everything, imo. When it comes to the people, I find the most similarities to New Yorkers. When it comes to nightlife and cultural offerings, again, similar to New York. Architecturally more similar to New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City