Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Boston 102 75.00%
Philadelpha 12 8.82%
New York 22 16.18%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Boston, Philadelphia and New York grew up together and share similar histories. IMO San Francisco is the outlier out of these 4 cities from an architectural and cityscape perspective. This may offend people but the architecure in SF really does leave a lot to be desired. SF is also the outlier in regards to natural scenery, as it may be the most picturesque city in the country.

It only makes sense, being thousands of Miles away and all and growing into it's own at a completely different point in history.

Population 1850
NYC 696,115
Boston 136,000
Phila 121,000
SF 25,000

Population 1860
NYC 1,174,779
Phila 565,529
Boston 177,840
SF 56,802

Population 1900
NYC 3,437,000
Phila 1,293,000
Boston 560,000
SF 342,000
It's worth mentioning that the jump in population for Philadelphia between 1850 and 1860 was due to the Consolidation Act of 1854. Spring Garden was the 9th largest city in the country in 1850. (Northern Liberties and Southwark were large cities as well).

Also, Brooklyn was a separate city until the 1890s. It was the 4th largest city in the country in 1890 (So, New York jumped from 1.5m to 3.4m). It also annexed Williamsburg and Bushwick to become #3 in 1860.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Neither....?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's very true...in general, the West Coast liberal in is quite a bit different than the East Coast variety.
Isn't it true that a same-sex couple can get legally married in Boston, but not in San Francisco?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Isn't it true that a same-sex couple can get legally married in Boston, but not in San Francisco?
Yea I still can't believe California of all places overturned the legalization of gay marriage.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea I still can't believe California of all places overturned the legalization of gay marriage.
Why? CA has some very conservative parts will millions of conservative minded people, there's a whole another CA most people don't seem to recognize. That plus a voter initiative system that makes it somewhat easy for voters to overturn judicial decisions.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Wow, I'm really surprised that San Francisco isn't on that list. The tourism industry is huge here.
That posted list wasn't accurate. It's just what's reported by local visitors bureaus.

Orlando, for example, considers visitors to all of Central Florida to be "tourists", while NYC only counts visitors to the city proper. So you can't compare across cities.

Obviously SF is a Top 5 or Top 6 city for visitors in the U.S.

I would guess the most popular cities for tourists would go something like this:
NYC
LA
Orlando
Vegas
SF
Miami

And then everyone else, at least in terms of tourists. Chicago, Boston, DC, Philly, and New Orleans would probably be the second tier (and I would guess DC on top of that second tier, if I had to pick one).

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Boston, Philadelphia and New York grew up together and share similar histories. IMO San Francisco is the outlier out of these 4 cities from an architectural and cityscape perspective. This may offend people but the architecure in SF really does leave a lot to be desired. SF is also the outlier in regards to natural scenery, as it may be the most picturesque city in the country.

It only makes sense, being thousands of Miles away and all and growing into it's own at a completely different point in history.
There's also the fact the San Francisco basically had to rebuild most of the city following the 1906 quake. There'd be more 19th Century buildings from the post-Gold Rush-era if the earthquake and subsequent fire that destroyed most of San Francisco hadn't ended up entailing a very quick rebuilding of San Francisco in the following decade. I don't find the architecture in most of San Franciso that bad though... There's still plenty of old Victorian or Italianate houses or rowhouses with bay windows, you have old stately hotels up on Nob Hill, the beautiful modernist buildings like the recent museum remodelings, and plenty of nice areas to walk around like North Beach or up around the Haight. Compared to many major US cities(especially much of the Sun Belt), San Francisco is veritable gem.

While the architecture in much of San Francisco might be a little less colorful and modern in parts than a brownstone neighborhood in Brooklyn or Federal-era townhouses in Philadelphia or Boston on the other hand you don't have many neighborhoods with giant concrete high-rise housing projects as in New York or vacants like in Philadelphia. All in all though, I actually like the architecture in general throughout all four cities.

But honestly, San Francisco doesn't feel much like any of those cities outside of a few superficial commonalities.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's also the fact the San Francisco basically had to rebuild most of the city following the 1906 quake. There'd be more 19th Century buildings from the post-Gold Rush-era if the earthquake and subsequent fire that destroyed most of San Francisco hadn't ended up entailing a very quick rebuilding of San Francisco in the following decade. I don't find the architecture in most of San Franciso that bad though... There's still plenty of old Victorian or Italianate houses or rowhouses with bay windows, you have old stately hotels up on Nob Hill, the beautiful modernist buildings like the recent museum remodelings, and plenty of nice areas to walk around like North Beach or up around the Haight. Compared to many major US cities(especially much of the Sun Belt), San Francisco is veritable gem.

While the architecture in much of San Francisco might be a little less colorful and modern in parts than a brownstone neighborhood in Brooklyn or Federal-era townhouses in Philadelphia or Boston on the other hand you don't have many neighborhoods with giant concrete high-rise housing projects as in New York or vacants like in Philadelphia. All in all though, I actually like the architecture in general throughout all four cities.

But honestly, San Francisco doesn't feel much like any of those cities outside of a few superficial commonalities.
Agreed with the above, especially the bolded. Don't get me wrong, I saw some beautiful neighborhoods in SF but I couldn't help notice how so many houses had such ugly garages front and center, kind of disconnecting residents from the sidewalk and streetscape in a way.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
The OP's post is very vague and only mentions literature, media and politics as barometers. He also quoted a post that doesn't make exact sense. Although it is true that SF, Boston and Philly are infinitely more closely related on an economic level than they are to NYC.
The title of the thread is not nor the bottom two or three sentences from the OP.

There have been a few people in this thread (like grapico, kidphilly, others) that understood what it was about though.
Quote:
Boston, Philadelphia and New York grew up together and share similar histories. IMO San Francisco is the outlier out of these 4 cities from an architectural and cityscape perspective.
Boston, Philadelphia, & New York are the supporting cast for this thread, the main protagonist for this thread is San Francisco which has many times over been described as an "eastern cousin displaced on the west coast"? The theme revolves around which of the other three it's most like.

I'm not focusing on reputation, all of these cities are largely different on that. Just which one under any stance of either superficial or actual setting San Francisco has the most, absolute most, in common with.

As for me, I find all 4 along with all of the other 8 largest cities in America to be quite lovely-- each in their own respective ways. Truly appreciate what America has to offer, I like them all.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Boston, Philadelphia, & New York are the supporting cast for this thread, the main protagonist for this thread is San Francisco which has many times over been described as an "eastern cousin displaced on the west coast"? The theme revolves around which of the other three it's most like.

I'm not focusing on reputation, all of these cities are largely different on that. Just which one under any stance of either superficial or actual setting San Francisco has the most, absolute most, in common with.

As for me, I find all 4 along with all of the other 8 largest cities in America to be quite lovely-- each in their own respective ways. Truly appreciate what America has to offer, I like them all.
Ok, gotcha. It is just a very difficult comparison to me because Boston, NYC and Philly can all be very similar and SF feels very different. I did see elements of all three Eastern cities in SF though. Parts of downtown had Manhattanesque vibrancy, the Bridges everywhere feels like NY, I saw Philadelphia style rowhomes and even some of the trolleys in SF are originally from SEPTA. The Beach in SF was like nothing over here.

Boston I'm not quite sure on specifics but they might be most similar because they are nearly equal in city size and both have a similar white/Asian aspect and very educated populations by percentage.

Boston is also much more tied in with their Bay than Manhattan is with the New York's Bays or Philadelphia is with the Delaware Bay and very similar to SF in that regard.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-24-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City