Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you prefer to play or vacation?
Los Angeles/Santa Monica 200 57.47%
Miami/Miami Beach 148 42.53%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:11 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times

Advertisements

I like Miami because while LA offers more overall, the things I am interested in, are all more concentrated in Miami / South Beach.

I like I can have a beautiful home, incredible restaurants, gyms, grocery store, world class beach, best nightlife in the US, fishing, all in a 20 block radius. LA is great - but I like stepping out of my door and being able to access all of the things mentioned by a five minute walk or $4 uber ride. Yes, maybe it doesn't have the sheer amount of variety as LA, but having all of that stuff more concentrated is preferable for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I can never see that happening. It's not just Bourban st. that makes the French Quarter what it is.

That being said. LA does NOT want another Bourban st.

Hollywood would be the closest thing and I don't know too many natives who like going to hollywood other than select clubs/bars.

Same with Bourbon for NO natives--which smells terrible-- and you have a higher risk of getting shot.

I say this with Love cause the rest of the city is dope. Happy Mardi Gras.
It's not about it being bourbon St but about having a section that caters to round the clock nightlife. Nothing wrong with that. Cities like Austin have 6th St and while it's not as round the clock it still caters to that crowd.

I sense defensiveness among LA natives about nearly everything that doesn't make LA look the best. Miami beach has the nightlife cornered and that's a given to any traveler. It doesn't make LA any worse off as a city and no matter how much variety and how many different definitions or arguments are made to the contrary it won't put a damper on the fact that Miami is a destination for nightlife. On that topic alone, Miami wins.

This is a habit among many LA posters when something is brought up that doesn't make LA look like the king of something. Definitions are changed, arguments are made and whatnot in order to claim that everyone else is looking at this all wrong and that the way LA has such and such set up is the correct way.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
LA>>>MIAMI
South Beach>>>>Santa Monica

Last edited by fieldm; 02-10-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
And then he uses wikipedia to justify what great nightlife is...LOL.

That in itself pretty much says everything. But we can always start a pool asking people if they find Miami's nightlife or your eccentric little views on nightlife and as it pertains to LA to be superior, if you are up for a frown on your face that is.
For nightlife it depends on how many people travel to said city just to party. Do people travel to LA to party? Do people travel to Miami to party? Do people leave LA or Miami to party in other cities? etc

Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM

I think it's pretty fair to say that LA to live, Miami to party. LA just had so much variety that it's really a place to take a long vacay or live in. Miami is a place where you fly to take a break from life and really cut loose.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,503 times
How often do you guys really go out though? I think you guys really are overselling "nightlife" as something important, as if it's a daily thing.

At best, its a weekly thing for a lot of people, and for most people it's a once or twice a month thing. Happy hours are happy hours no matter where you are, and frankly, being around people whining about what happened at the office today or some other pretentious nonsense gets pretty old after a while.

And this is coming from someone who used to be a gigantic raver-turned-soulless yuppie prick. Ultra in Miami is pretty dope though, and when EDC was here in LA, it was cool. Too bad that went to Vegas.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
How often do you guys really go out though? I think you guys really are overselling "nightlife" as something important, as if it's a daily thing.

At best, its a weekly thing for a lot of people, and for most people it's a once or twice a month thing. Happy hours are happy hours no matter where you are, and frankly, being around people whining about what happened at the office today or some other pretentious nonsense gets pretty old after a while.

And this is coming from someone who used to be a gigantic raver-turned-soulless yuppie prick. Ultra in Miami is pretty dope though, and when EDC was here in LA, it was cool. Too bad that went to Vegas.
I don't think it really matters how often people go out. Nightlife is just one aspect of play/vacation. Even if nightlife doesn't matter to most people, IMO as a whole Miami still easily beats LA because you have better beaches, water that's actually comfortable to swim in, and everything is more condensed and easier to access. Granted, it's a totally subjective thread because it depends on what people like to do. But I just think that if most people who responded to this poll were honest with themselves they'd pick Miami. I highly doubt that people voted b/c they care about L.A.'s "cultural offerings."

Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM

It is totally subjective but I think the LA posters are banking on that to make their point when we are really just talking about a vacation getaway nightlife kinda thing. Nothing more. As far as that Miami, no contest. I don't get these posts that border on condescension toward people who love to party. I've seen topics come up on the LA forum before regarding nightlife in LA being overall mellow compared to neighboring Vegas and the image LA gives off and a lot of the retorts were basically similar to what's being posted here. It's a bit smug in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,503 times
You know what, I just read the poll and it said "play or vacation". My bad. I thought it was just a general CvC thread about life.

Yeah, LA nightlife is ehhh. I'm an LA native, so why the hell would I want to vacation here?

Honestly, LA isn't that kind of city. The last call at 2 AM ensures that, unless you know people throwing an after party.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 PM

I love LA overall as a city and find it the best the US has to ioffer but Miami is just on another level as far as nightlife. LA is def not in that category
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City