Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you prefer to play or vacation?
Los Angeles/Santa Monica 200 57.47%
Miami/Miami Beach 148 42.53%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
He is a booster and like most of LA, thinks the hip hop scene still revolves around them and NYC. Hip hop fans in the heartland find those acts on the coasts to be hokey and tend to gravitate toward the real independent sound of southern artists. I don't think Miami itself is a groundbreaking place for hip hop, I'm not a fan of their rap either but it does play host more to the southern sound than LA does, which offers NO love to the Third Coast.

Jamil, you're in NOLA, put some south in your mouth and get your mind correct. Project Pat and UGK get more love in the Gulf than The Game. LOL. Straight Outta Compton! Lol.
BRO I LIVED IN ATL I think I know what the hell I'm talking about in the differences between the places especially when it comes to the hiphop culture.

MIAMI DOES NOT HAVE A HIP HOP culture that is anywhere near NYC, ATL, or LA that is a fact.

So how is it better if nothing comes from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
BRO I LIVED IN ATL I think I know what the hell I'm talking about in the differences between the places especially when it comes to the hiphop culture.

MIAMI DOES NOT HAVE A HIP HOP culture that is anywhere near NYC, ATL, or LA that is a fact.

So how is it better if nothing comes from there?
First off, I'm not saying that I think Miami actually has a viable organic hip hop scene but that it caters to a market that is pretty much amputated from the insular scenes of the coasts; third coast music. ATL is the exception on your list. I'm a big fan of hip hop and have been more than disappointed in the lack of the third coast sound in LA but I bet I'd find all the sounds of all coasts in Miami. That's all I mean. The LA scene to me is ridiculously insular and actually thinks, I mean really reall thinks that NWA was as historical as that vanity project movie said it was. I bet Getto Boys get more love among real fans in NOLA where you're at then NWA.

My point is that to a huge swathe of hip hop fans LA and NYC are just where the companies are. The mainstream stuff that gets made. They don't see it as independent.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
First off, I'm not saying that I think Miami actually has a viable organic hip hop scene but that it caters to a market that is pretty much amputated from the insular scenes of the coasts; third coast music. ATL is the exception on your list. I'm a big fan of hip hop and have been more than disappointed in the lack of the third coast sound in LA but I bet I'd find all the sounds of all coasts in Miami. That's all I mean. The LA scene to me is ridiculously insular and actually thinks, I mean really reall thinks that NWA was as historical as that vanity project movie said it was. I bet Getto Boys get more love among real fans in NOLA where you're at then NWA.

My point is that to a huge swathe of hip hop fans LA and NYC are just where the companies are. The mainstream stuff that gets made. They don't see it as independent.
Of course you think the geto boys get the most love your from Houston. And no the people who get the most love in NO are Curren$y & Kevin Gates. But you'd bet surprised how much west coast gets played on the radio. I hear Kendrick, schoolboy, tinashe, jhene aikio, mustard, ty dolla sign. Lotta OVO sound type of stuff (Bryson tiller , torey lanz) mostly & ATL.

Never heard a Miami song that wasn't pit bull, ace hood, or flo rida ever...outside the south.

And are you really think people respect the geto boys more than the NWA in ATL? They are really progressive when it comes to hip hop and they play a lot of stuff from different regions depending on the radio station. They really support local ATL artist first but it'd be hard to argue without asking somebody from a different region who they have the most respect for.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,745 times
Miami has to have at least one ****** top 40 place.

Every place does.

I know most people here aren't Hispanic, but I enjoy some banda clubs every once in a while. It's kinda fun to watch dudes wearing cowboy gear listening to some old school Chalino or Adan Sanchez. Listening to narcocorridos every once in a while doesn't hurt, unless you actually understand what they're saying.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Of course you think the geto boys get the most love your from Houston. And no the people who get the most love in NO are Curren$y & Kevin Gates. But you'd bet surprised how much west coast gets played on the radio. I hear Kendrick, schoolboy, tinashe, jhene aikio, mustard, ty dolla sign. Lotta OVO sound type of stuff (Bryson tiller , torey lanz)

Never heard a Miami song that wasn't pit bull, ace hood, or flo rida ever...outside the south.

And are you really think people respect NWA more than the geto boys in ATL? They are really progressive when it comes to hip hop and they play a lot of stuff from different regions depending on the radio station. They really support local ATL artist.
Most markets are going to play LA artists because that's the main. They're good acts I'm not knocking them but the real fans love local stuff. They love their local artists most. What I was getting at is this incredible insular belief that just because it comes out of LA that it somehow translates into gold and anything not from the coasts is kitschy stuff. But true respect overall goes to the independent artists. I was saying that if it came down to it and you'd ask people in ATL and NOLA who you respect more the edge would go to Scarface and the Getto Boys over Ice Cube, Dre and NWA. I know that blows your mind as you think they're such a part of hip hop history but what I'm trying to tell you is that your scene (along with NYC) is kind of seen as the 'establishment' while independent artists are seen as more real. People like the mainstream stuff, it's good but more love is given to the local Indy artists.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Most markets are going to play LA artists because that's the main. They're good acts I'm not knocking them but the real fans love local stuff. They love their local artists most. What I was getting at is this incredible insular belief that just because it comes out of LA that it somehow translates into gold and anything not from the coasts is kitschy stuff. But true respect overall goes to the independent artists. I was saying that if it came down to it and you'd ask people in ATL and NOLA who you respect more the edge would go to Scarface and the Getto Boys over Ice Cube, Dre and NWA. I know that blows your mind as you think they're such a part of hip hop history but what I'm trying to tell you is that your scene (along with NYC) is kind of seen as the 'establishment' while independent artists are seen as more real. People like the mainstream stuff, it's good but more love is given to the local Indy artists.

How is that not an insular opinion within its self. If you asked somebody from Chicago who they're favorite artist was then they would like that type of music(mostly drill, but feefee(?)). The south doesn't hold the most right opinion on the subject. Half of Houston thinks sauca waka is good but he's terrible. I like LE$ but Houston right now isn't even as poppin as Dallas right now.

Last edited by jamills21; 02-11-2016 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
How is that not an insular opinion within its self. If you asked somebody from Chicago who they're favorite artist was then try would like that type of music. The south doesn't hold the most right opinion on the subject. Half of Houston thinks sauca waka is good but he's terrible. I like LE$ but Houston right now isn't even as poppin as Dallas right now.
Houston has fallen hard core and Dallas is poppin I give ya that. But my main point is that hip hop fans tend to rep their city and region first and foremost. That's a given. My overall general point is that the third coast has or at least had a reputation to offer the real deal that people loved despite its near banishment from the mainstream for a long time, i.e. the coastal scene where the power is at nyc and LA.
Why was drake a Toronto rapier repping Houston so hard early in his career? ASAP Rocky, the Harlem rapper repped Pimp C like no other and admitted his crew was listening to the trap sounds of the south over what was playing in NYC at the time. My point is that they recognized real independent artists over the mainstream stuff and that resonates more with hip hop fans not on the coasts.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Houston has fallen hard core and Dallas is poppin I give ya that. But my main point is that hip hop fans tend to rep their city and region first and foremost. That's a given. My overall general point is that the third coast has or at least had a reputation to offer the real deal that people loved despite its near banishment from the mainstream for a long time, i.e. the coastal scene where the power is at nyc and LA.
Why was drake a Toronto rapier repping Houston so hard early in his career? ASAP Rocky, the Harlem rapper repped Pimp C like no other and admitted his crew was listening to the trap sounds of the south over what was playing in NYC at the time. My point is that they recognized real independent artists over the mainstream stuff and that resonates more with hip hop fans not on the coasts.
OK why did Master P start his career in the bay or why does drake have the OVO store in LA rather than Toronto? Cause that's just what rappers do. Why does Travis Scott sound he's from ATL? He's the biggest rapper from Houston.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
OK why did Master P start his career in the bay or why does drake have the OVO store in LA rather than Toronto? Cause that's just what rappers do. Why does Travis Scott sound he's from ATL? He's the biggest rapper from Houston.
Drake having a store in LA doesn't mean he doesn't rep Houston because it's a pretty city. He reps it cus he loves the music comming out of there or at least came from there and Houston loves him back. Travis Scott is young and is lote influenced by the stuff coming out now but it's a matter of taste, Scott likes Kid Cudi, ASAP from Harlem likes UGK. Go figure.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Drake having a store in LA doesn't mean he doesn't rep Houston because it's a pretty city. He reps it cus he loves the music comming out of there or at least came from there and Houston loves him back. Travis Scott is young and is lote influenced by the stuff coming out now but it's a matter of taste, Scott likes Kid Cudi, ASAP from Harlem likes UGK. Go figure.
Drake reps everywhere man lol. How many times has he shouted out ATL like its his second home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City