Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think I am being perfectly reasonable and trying to suss out an argument. You and pansy just go for the "you must be delusional" line right off the bat. You can actually see in pansy's post that he/she is angry that someone would suggest Malibu is more well-known than Brooklyn. It's kind of comical.
Who said I was talking about you? I wasn't. I think it's clear who I am talking about.

I have no problem with anything you said, and tend to agree that trying to claim Malibu is more well known than Brooklyn is delusional. It's actually hilarious. It reeks of desperation, especially because Malibu isn't even part of LA so technically it doesn't even fit this thread's purpose of discussion. It's completely off topic to boot.

If somebody wants to go create a Malibu vs. Hamptons thread, because they are basically equivalents, to boost Malibu, so be it. Hash it out there. But Malibu and Brooklyn aren't even in the same league, nor is Malibu more famous than Brooklyn.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
You realize you just made a fool of yourself, right?

The quotes you highlight totally contradict your claims. Nowhere did I say "Malibu is more popular than Brooklyn for teenagers" and no where did I say "Brooklyn is only popular with hipsters".

Brooklyn is one of the most iconic places in the most iconic city on earth. Malibu is a vague beach and car reference. So, no.
Nope.

You denied several times being the person to bring up Hipsters and Teenagers and yet you were in fact the person who brought them up.

That was FALSE. You were indeed the one who brought them up. Period.

Secondly, as you unsurprisingly deliberately ignored:

Quote:
ICON: a person or thing[or place] regarded as a representative symbol of something.

Brooklyn doesn't represent more to most people around the world than Malibu. Like I said, why should it?
Malibu is home to relevant movie stars and most people in the world with even a minimal knowledge of western pop culture knows that. Malibu has an image that almost anyone can describe in some form or another.

Brooklyn is a outlander section of New York city that in 2013 is largely not known for anything by most people, and has no landmarks most people could ever name--whereas most people equate Malibu with a beach and a lifestyle.

We could go on and on, but the point has been beaten to death.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But Malibu and Brooklyn aren't even in the same league, nor is Malibu more famous than Brooklyn.
Correct on both counts.

Malibu is one of the richest most desirable places in the United States and is glittering with world famous celebrities.

Brooklyn is not.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Correct on both counts.

Malibu is one of the richest most desirable places in the United States and is glittering with world famous celebrities.

Brooklyn is not.
Keep telling yourself that, 18M. I'll keep telling myself you're a knowledgeable and respected poster, but also one of the biggest CA and LA boosters on this forum so I take what you like to claim with a grain of salt. Peace.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,769 times
Quote:
Nope.

You denied several times being the person to bring up Hipsters and Teenagers and yet you were in fact the person who brought them up.

That was FALSE. You were indeed the one who brought them up. Period.
No, I never wrote such a thing, and no, you still haven't explained how you reached your wacky conclusions from my quotes.

You're basically making stuff up 100%.

I never said Malibu was better known by teenagers, I never said that Brooklyn was only popular by hipsters, and I never brought up hipsters and teenagers in any kind of comparison between Brooklyn and Malibu.
Quote:
Secondly, as you unsurprisingly deliberately ignored:

Malibu is home to relevant movie stars and most people in the world with even a minimal knowledge of western pop culture knows that.
No, in fact, most people with very heavy knowledge of western pop culture don't know that. They don't know Malibu, and they don't know the specific neighborhoods where they live.

Brooklyn also has tons of Hollywood celebrities, yet there are so many things happening in Brooklyn no one would claim this is why it's famous. No one gives a crap that Anne Hathaway lives in Brooklyn.

And the premise is basically not true. Places like Pacific Palisades and Holmby Hills have far more celebrities, yet they're far less known than Malibu.
Quote:
Malibu has an image that almost anyone can describe in some form or another.
And, by "everyone" you mean "relatively few people".
Quote:
Brooklyn is a outlander section of New York city that in 2013 is largely not known for anything by most people, and has no landmarks most people could ever name--whereas most people equate Malibu with a beach and a lifestyle.
And this is basically fantasy. Brooklyn is absolutely core NYC and is very central to everything in NYC. It's the cutting edge center of basically everything coming out of NYC these days, from tech, to food, to music, to fashion, to literature, to visual art. It's the most populous borough, the biggest source of newcomers, and is referenced across the globe.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Correct on both counts.

Brooklyn is not.
Actually no on everything. It isn't among the richest places, isn't unusually desirable relative to anything else on the beach in Southern California, and has fewer world famous celebrities than Brooklyn.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Actually no on everything. It isn't among the richest places, isn't unusually desirable relative to anything else on the beach in Southern California, and has fewer world famous celebrities than Brooklyn.
You can't argue with crazy. Honestly, hands down he is the most delusional poster on here. There's not even a close second. LA is a heavenly sent city in his eyes. Yet, he lives in Oakland. Go figure. He probably has never even been to LA. He just makes stuff up too. I'm pretty sure you've figured that out by now. Someone told me he has twenty infractions and that one more and he's gone. I don't know how true that is, but I'd believe it.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Both are famous of course, but not really in the psyche of middle America, beside TV references. If I asked teenagers here about Brooklyn or Malibu, they wouldnt have much to say. Malibu is a desirable lifestyle if you can afford it, but really Malibu would have a huge roster of celebrity residents, Im sure much more than Brooklyn despite the population difference.

As far as the poll. NY is more iconic, LA has more cultural influence in todays world.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
And this is basically fantasy. Brooklyn is absolutely core NYC and is very central to everything in NYC. It's the cutting edge center of basically everything coming out of NYC these days, from tech, to food, to music, to fashion, to literature, to visual art. It's the most populous borough, the biggest source of newcomers, and is referenced across the globe.
This is nice but hardly anyone knows any of this, besides hipsters, as you yourself stated.

And that is the point, once again.

Brooklyn and it's image is known by some groups, whereas Malibu and it's image is known by more.

This appears to be the case in NY, subgeographies are much less famous than the entire city entity itself.

Whereas Hollywood, Beverly Hills or Malibu are all more prominent in people's minds as their own distinct places.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
This is nice but hardly anyone knows any of this, besides hipsters, as you yourself stated.
No, you just made that up. Brooklyn is better known by everyone.
Quote:
Brooklyn and it's image is known by some groups, whereas Malibu and it's image is known by more.
No, Brooklyn and NYC are known by all, and Malibu known by few.
Quote:
Whereas Hollywood, Beverly Hills or Malibu are all more prominent in people's minds as their own distinct places.
No, none of these places are known as distinct places, and Hollywood and Beverly Hills are much better known than Malibu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City