Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
None of this is true. The Fairfax/Wilshire districts is not "packed with pedestrians" (it's mostly postwar auto-oriented), and there is not a big difference between the Grove and Farmers Market.

The two complexes blend seamlessly, and, in fact, the Grove was built on former Farmers Market land. It's quite normal to eat dinner on one side and buy something on the other side. The parking is shared, too.
I meant one is historical and the other is a fairly new development. yes they are basically the same place.

I supposed packed was the wrong word to use, but there are few places in the US that are 6 miles away from the CBD and have that level of pedestrian activity. Maybe Chicago along the lake and obviously NYC.

Here's another "Only in LA and NYC" - the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater:

East Village (NYC): http://goo.gl/maps/Kn1cz
Chelsea (NYC): http://goo.gl/maps/n9K9G
Franklin Village (LA): http://goo.gl/maps/NBEQY

IMO one of the best places to see a comedy show in the nation (and inexpensive, too).

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I'm so done with you. You're too irrational. Most people know nothing about Brooklyn? Hmm, where and when did you have the time to ask every person this. You are gifted, I'll give you that. Malibu is a small strip of land near the beach where yes some rich people live. Brooklyn is a borough with a population almost the size of LA itself. It has its own beaches and its own rich people. Trust me, people have heard about Brooklyn. I suggest you stop with your nonsense right now. It's beyond ridiculous. Seriously, I cant' debate stupid anymore. I'm going to let you have the last say and whatever nonsense you spew will get no reply. I'm going to lunch. So have a nice day.
Once again, you are not really looking at the thread objectively. Do enjoy your lunch.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I have to go somewhere, but I want proof. And if what you are saying is true, then it might be because they forced us to carpool which would lower those numbers drastically and wouldn't be very accurate either. But, I've lived in many cities and LA was by far the most car oriented. Going to lunch. I'll be back. Have your proof ready.
He's right if you look at metro-wide stats. I remember them, but I don't have time to look it up. If you went by the city center, Los Angeles would not be.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think most people on the east coast know much about Malibu other than it's a rich beach town with movie stars.
It's actually a lot dirtier / country than people expect. Still beautiful though.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Here's another "Only in LA and NYC" - the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater:

East Village (NYC): http://goo.gl/maps/Kn1cz
Chelsea (NYC): http://goo.gl/maps/n9K9G
Franklin Village (LA): http://goo.gl/maps/NBEQY
That Chelsea one is a block from a public housing project. It's also next to an apartment complex which resembles a project but isn't (Penn South).

Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
He's right if you look at metro-wide stats. I remember them, but I don't have time to look it up. If you went by the city center, Los Angeles would not be.
Los Angeles - Long Beach: Full List: America's Most And Least Gas-Guzzling Cities - Forbes (basically just the urbanized parts of Los Angeles County - OC and IE are on their own here (and in the top 10 least gas guzzling too!)

Maybe by city center it is not #2, but I would imagine it is still in the top tier. Overall, people in Los Angeles drive a lot less than people think they do.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
I don't think most people on the east coast know much about Malibu other than it's a rich beach town with movie stars.
The name of Malibu is probably much more famous than the place itself. It's basically just a nice stretch of coastline with some nice houses along the PCH, but in terms of looks, there's nothing especially iconic about it. More people would probably recognize Venice Beach(or Santa Monica) based on looks alone(at least a streetscene on the boardwalk might be recognizable).

Malibu as a word though became sort of something to market products--Malibu Rum, Malibu Barbie, Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Grand Prix...none of which have anything to do with Malibu itself. You just name something "Malibu" and put a palm tree on the label...

Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Actually even if thats the thrust of what most people around the world know about Malibu, that's more than what most people around the world know about Brooklyn.

Malibu is on tv around the world, Malibu is often referred to in entertainment related news and media programs around the world.

By contrast, there isnt even a reason for Brookyn to be mentioned the same way, is there?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Hollywood is iconic but overall it's nyc by a long mile

Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
By contrast, there isnt even a reason for Brookyn to be mentioned the same way, is there?
Apparently you're unaware that Brooklyn is one of the most iconic places on the planet, and is specifically a metaphor for alternative/youth culture, and the whole "hipster" scene.

That's why, from Berlin to Hong Kong to Sao Paulo, you have constant references to Brooklyn in terms of a certain typology of dining/fashion/music/etc. It's essentially the closest thing to a "Left Bank" in terms of global youth culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City