Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
How can better even be measured? For me, I would much rather live in Malibu over Brooklyn any day of the week. Having the beach, great weather, great hiking trails and mountain ranges near me? Plus the city not too far away if I want that? Yes please. Brooklyn? LOL no.
I'd rather live in Brooklyn. Malibu is in the middle of nowhere and you have to fight PCH traffic just to get to the city.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,493 times
Quote:
The Brooklyn Bridge? Who cares, it's a bridge.
Yeah, the Eifel Tower? Who cares, it's a tower. The Empire State? Who cares, an office building. The Golden Gate? Who cares, another bridge...

Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

We have some delusional people here, I see. Sad, really. Well, I just popped in to comment on this mess, now I'm out.
I think I am being perfectly reasonable and trying to suss out an argument. You and pansy just go for the "you must be delusional" line right off the bat. You can actually see in pansy's post that he/she is angry that someone would suggest Malibu is more well-known than Brooklyn. It's kind of comical.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,493 times
Quote:
Having the beach, great weather, great hiking trails and mountain ranges near me? Plus the city not too far away if I want that? Yes please. Brooklyn? LOL no.
Malibu doesn't really have easy access to city stuff. It doesn't really have major mountain ranges either.

It has great weather, beach, and hiking, but that's true anywhere along the coast in Southern California. Personally, I would take somewhere less isolated and with more amenities, such as Corona del Mar. Better beach, more restaurants and like, and a lot more opportunities to actually live on the beach.

Brooklyn is totally, completely different, and not in competition with Malibu. In any case, it's vastly more well known, which is the thread topic.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Malibu doesn't really have easy access to city stuff. It doesn't really have major mountain ranges either.

It has great weather, beach, and hiking, but that's true anywhere along the coast in Southern California. Personally, I would take somewhere less isolated and with more amenities, such as Corona del Mar.

Brooklyn is totally, completely different, and not in competition with Malibu. In any case, it's vastly more well known, which is the thread topic.
Malibu is at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains, so not sure what you are talking about with that one. But other than that, yeah I would much rather live in Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina or the South Bay than Malibu.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd rather live in Brooklyn. Malibu is in the middle of nowhere and you have to fight PCH traffic just to get to the city.
Not me, I much prefer being outdoors and going for long hikes. I don't like living near a ton of people, plus the traffic on the PCH isn't that bad. Whenever I go to Malibu now, I can get there in about 30 minutes or so.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think I am being perfectly reasonable and trying to suss out an argument. You and pansy just go for the "you must be delusional" line right off the bat. You can actually see in pansy's post that he/she is angry that someone would suggest Malibu is more well-known than Brooklyn. It's kind of comical.

Well when people compare Malibu (a tiny strip of beach) to Brooklyn, that is delusional. I have treated you decent, because although we disagree, at least up til now we were civil with each other. But if you want to call me pansy, then I'll call you a (it's all in my head)!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,357 times
It really depends on what type of culture you're talking about, but to be fair, you really can't not pick NY overall.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the Eifel Tower? Who cares, it's a tower. The Empire State? Who cares, an office building. The Golden Gate? Who cares, another bridge...
Exactly, who cares. They are nice set pieces to look at momentarily, but then what? Ok, let's drive on a bridge, snap a few pics. Cool.

I would much rather go for a long hike or hang out at the beach with lovely weather.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:

It has great weather, beach, and hiking, but that's true anywhere along the coast in Southern California. Personally, I would take somewhere less isolated and with more amenities, such as Corona del Mar. Better beach, more restaurants and like, and a lot more opportunities to actually live on the beach.

Malibu doesn't have access to mountain ranges? Since when?

I agree with Munchitup though, I'd certainly choose Pali, Samo over Malibu, but I would choose Malibu over Brooklyn 10/10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City