Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Hey, your back. I see you ran yesterday and never explained why "Malibu" is so much more important than Brooklyn. I would really love to hear about that one. You should work for the commerce of LA. Then again, they wouldn't hire you, because you live too much in a fantasy world. Where LA is the epicenter of everything.
Once again you misunderstand the premise if this thread.

And the Malibu image is beamed around the world in tv( the most far reaching form of media) whereas the image of Brooklyn is much less clearly defined. Whether its more important or not is irrelevant.

Most people around the world could list a few things they know about Malibu. Brooklyn not really.

And the fact the Malibu is so small yet people are rather famliar really illustrates how strong LAs image is.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't present it as a bad thing, or a good thing. My main point of that post was that NYC and LA were the only two cities where Taschen chose to locate, and it's an interesting contrast where it chose to situate.

If you like big cities, I'm not sure why you'd celebrate strip malls and a more auto-oriented city, at least near a city's downtown. It generally makes the streets empty of pedestrians, leads to less interesting streetscapes, and a more separated city. People used to more pedestrian oriented city centers find LA a bit of a shock. But this has little to do with which is more cultural or iconic.
The Farmer's Market isn't that close to DTLA at around 6 miles. However, you definitely are not familiar with the area because despite appearing to be full of strip malls, this area of Fairfax / Beverly / Wilshire is actually packed with pedestrians (especially for an area 6 miles outside the CBD, not common in many other cities).

Also it should be noted that there is a big difference between The Grove and the Farmer's Market. One is an LA icon, the other a relatively new development (and yes, just a mall).

Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Once again you misunderstand the premise if this thread.

And the Malibu image is beamed around the world in tv( the most far reaching form of media) whereas the image of Brooklyn is much less clearly defined. Whether its more important or not is irrelevant.

Most people could list a few things they know about Malibu. Brooklyn not really.

And the fact the Malibu is so small yet people are rather famliar really illustrates how strong LAs image is.

Are you truly serious? Nobody knows anything about Brooklyn, yet everything about Malibu? You have to be kidding me. Please, do yourself a favor (not for me or anybody else) and leave your house and do some traveling. Brooklyn was a city before Malibu was even a name. Malibu is a small piece of nothing. A strip of beach period. Brooklyn has a beach too that I would be willing to bet gets more visitors a year than Malibu. You act like one of the coolest/ boroughs in our countries greatest city doesn't even compare to a silly little unpopulated area called Malibu. You do know that NY has beaches too right? You do know that the best beaches contrary to what you think are in Florida. The only reason people like San Diego beaches or LA beaches is because of Coral reef. That's what causes the waves to be higher than on the east coast. Take the waves out, and the east coast beaches are hands down better. Do you know what it's like to swim in the ocean without a wet suit. Go to Florida, the water temperature is like bath water. Whereas on the west coast, it's freaking freezing.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The Farmer's Market isn't that close to DTLA at around 6 miles. However, you definitely are not familiar with the area because despite appearing to be full of strip malls, this area of Fairfax / Beverly / Wilshire is actually packed with pedestrians (especially for an area 6 miles outside the CBD, not common in many other cities).

Also it should be noted that there is a big difference between The Grove and the Farmer's Market. One is an LA icon, the other a relatively new development (and yes, just a mall).
None of this is true. The Fairfax/Wilshire districts is not "packed with pedestrians" (it's mostly postwar auto-oriented), and there is not a big difference between the Grove and Farmers Market.

The two complexes blend seamlessly, and, in fact, the Grove was built on former Farmers Market land. It's quite normal to eat dinner on one side and buy something on the other side. The parking is shared, too.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Are you truly serious? Nobody knows anything about Brooklyn, yet everything about Malibu? You have to be kidding me. Please, do yourself a favor (not for me or anybody else) and leave your house and do some traveling. Brooklyn was a city before Malibu was even a name. Malibu is a small piece of nothing. A strip of beach period. Brooklyn has a beach too that I would be willing to bet gets more visitors a year than Malibu. You act like one of the coolest/ boroughs in our countries greatest city doesn't even compare to a silly little unpopulated area called Malibu. You do know that NY has beaches too right? You do know that the best beaches contrary to what you think are in Florida. The only reason people like San Diego beaches or LA beaches is because of Coral reef. That's what causes the waves to be higher than on the east coast. Take the waves out, and the east coast beaches are hands down better. Do you know what it's like to swim in the ocean without a wet suit. Go to Florida, the water temperature is like bath water. Whereas on the west coast, it's freaking freezing.
Most people around the world know none of the things about Brooklyn you mentioned and they dont really care. Why should they, exactly?

Malibu is a superficial, glamorous, rich beach town near LA that is home to some of the most famous people in the world.

You seem to be taking all of this a little too personally. Take a chill pill.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:

I was talking about strip malls in general. I have nothing specific to say about that area other than the Taschen appears to be in a strip mall there. That is all.

I was killing time on google streetview when I made the post. People are reading too much into it.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
And being more suburban for a large city is better how? Also, people migrated to the suburbs to get away from the inner city. This isn't a Los Angeles thing. It's an every city thing. Every city developed suburbs. Los Angeles is just a lot larger than most cities. So, they are definitely more car oriented. Doesn't make them better. With gas prices the way they are. You can have your two hour commute times and thirty dollars a day in gas. I'd much prefer a subway myself.
Angelenos actually drive the 2nd least in the nation, behind NYC.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Most people around the world know none of the things about Brooklyn you mentioned and they dont really care. Why should they, exactly?

Malibu is a superficial, glamorous, rich beach town near LA that is home to some of the most famous people in the world.

You seem to be taking all of this a little too personally. Take a chill pill.
I'm so done with you. You're too irrational. Most people know nothing about Brooklyn? Hmm, where and when did you have the time to ask every person this? You are gifted, I'll give you that. Malibu is a small strip of land near the beach where yes some rich people live. Brooklyn is a borough with a population almost the size of LA itself. It has its own beaches and its own rich people. Trust me, people have heard about Brooklyn. I suggest you stop with your nonsense right now. It's beyond ridiculous. Seriously, I cant' debate stupid anymore. I'm going to let you have the last say and whatever nonsense you spew will get no reply. I'm going to lunch. So have a nice day.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Angelenos actually drive the 2nd least in the nation, behind NYC.

I have to go somewhere, but I want proof. And if what you are saying is true, then it might be because they forced us to carpool which would lower those numbers drastically and wouldn't be very accurate either. But, I've lived in many cities and LA was by far the most car oriented. Going to lunch. I'll be back. Have your proof ready.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I don't think most people on the east coast know much about Malibu other than it's a rich beach town with movie stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City